Mississippi Gun Owners banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
21,644 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a wild hair a day or two ago and decided I would take a trip over to Anniston, AL to CMP South ..... Left Yesterday around noon ... went to the South Store this morning and spent a couple hours drooling and handling a good many of them. I was surprised and a little shocked by what I found. First off, the store is not very big ... second, while organized to a degree, it could use a little more ...

I went with the intent of purchasing a couple incomplete M44s (22 LR WWII Navy Training Rifles). I already have 2 that are in excellent condition and recently purchased one of the incomplete ones via CMP mail order. The one I got via mail order was missing the trigger guard and safety indicators. I was hoping that for $65 I could pick up another one that had the missing parts I needed. These were a big seller … only had about 10 left and only a couple with parts I needed; however, those with the parts I needed were well used or missing some of the more expensive parts - front sight, bad bolt, no firing pins, etc. I passed on them.

Also, wanted to take a look at what Krags they still had on the rack. That too was a big disappointment. Only one caught my eye and they wanted $695 for it with a terrible bore and too beat-up for my liking.

I spent most of my time looking through the Garands. Seems they had plenty of the high grades (CMP Specials - boy are they beautiful at $995.00 -- Service Grade Specials - they too look good at $895.00) and many, many of the lower field grades to select from (HRA & SA $495.00 - WIN $695). Could not find a field grade that I though would turn out to be a good shooter after looking over 30+ of them. Also some National Match Garands at around $1500.00 and some M1Ds at around $1500.00. Not a single Springfield, Winchester, or HRA regular Service Grade on the racks …..

Had a few M1 carbines in the racks. All were rack grade and included some Underwood, National Postal Meter, and Quality Hardware. Most have been picked over pretty good; however, there were a couple that looked as if they would be a good shooter - BUT - you would have to do some work of the stock -- a lot of character if you know what I mean.

I did buy something!! With the 9% sales tax, I elected to have it shipped rather than bringing it home. They told me it would ship tomorrow or Monday -- will have it Tuesday or Wednesday …

Got so caught up in looking over all the Garands, I forgot that I had my camera in my pocket. Did snap a couple pictures on the way out..

Front of store --

Inside --

·
Registered
6,622 Posts
Hopefully we can get a group ride over there, someone had mentioned it. Been by Aniston too many times to count but I'm up for a ride, like to pick one and a carbine up. Thanks for the pic's.

·
Premium Member
21,644 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
sidroski said:
Hopefully we can get a group ride over there, someone had mentioned it. Been by Aniston too many times to count but I'm up for a ride, like to pick one and a carbine up. Thanks for the pic's.
Well, I was planning on waiting until after the M&GII; but, just had nothing better to do this week .... Yea - I would love to go back; especially if they get some Service Grade Garands back on the racks ... we will plan a trip after M&GII if anyone is interested.

·
Registered
12,593 Posts
captain-03 said:
sidroski said:
Well, I was planning on waiting until after the M&GII; but, just had nothing better to do this week .... Yea - I would love to go back; especially if they get some Service Grade Garands back on the racks ... we will plan a trip after M&GII if anyone is interested.
I will be in for it just need a week or two to get out of work. My dad would like to go as well.

·
Registered
12,593 Posts
SilentHitz said:
Wish I had the cash to get all the M1 carbines...and give your collection some competition. ;)
they didn't have enough there to compete with ol cap-i-tan. he has them beat :p

·
Registered
15,550 Posts
Man just a few short years ago you could get a SA M1 Garand Service Grade for $500....should have maxed out the CC when I had the chance

·
Premium Member
21,644 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The first ones I bought were in the $300 range ... long time ago ...

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
I've been to the store myself when I went for a training seminar. It is kind of small but it was well stocked when I was there (before Obama). I'd love to make a trip back there sometime too.

·
Nocturnal Specialties
7,318 Posts
swede62 said:
Were the Rusty Kimbers really rusty?
I got to see Capts new rifle, if they call that a rusty Kimber.. all my stuff is a real rust bucket.

You could have wiped it off with a oil rag and never knew it was there

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
I only have one garand it is a 43 with a 55 barrel, springfield. I bought it at a show from a young man that said he inherited from his grandfather who bought it from CMP along time ago, came with green tube , containing the extra bolt and stuff. It is beautiful, he didn't want it, and was looking for a deer rifle. He said he needed 600 to buy what he wanted, so I helped the young lad out. I didn't get the paperwork with it, but everything else. Safe queen.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Nice pictures and thanks for sharing them. I'm going to have to stop by there sometime. Been by there in the truck many times but never had the extra time to stop.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts