Mississippi Gun Owners banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey again everyone. I somehow ended up with probably some of the best finds I've ever come across at a show and also maybe the biggest amount of dumb luck was on my side this weekend. Saturday I had brought one of my extra type 38 arisakas to trade to a friend of mine for some already prearranged items, one of which he couldn't pack into his carry on bag from England. I showed him the rifle hoping he would like it and sure enough he was thrilled about it being all matching and having a mum. First he pulled out this roll of new-old-stock WW2 Japanese rank tabs that would've been sewn onto the tunics to show a rank, in this case a Private First Class. Aside from that he also threw in some original backing material for the rank tabs and even a set of original complete rank insignia that has never been on a uniform. Then came the big prize, an original rubberized canvas Japanese arisaka sling. This is something I wasn't fully expecting as these have a low survivability rate as supposed to the quick detach slings that are far more common to find. We worked out a deal where I gave him the rifle I had brought and he gave me the rank tabs, the sling, and $200 cash, which more than made up for the cost of the rifle. By the grace of God I managed to fit the sling to a perfect arisaka that was all original and just missing the sling.
image388.jpg
image389.jpg
image385.jpg
image386.jpg
image387.jpg

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Today was probably just as good or better than yesterday. I had brought some extra arisaka bolt innards to trade to the same friend whom I received the previous items from and a reversal of sorts happened. He brought it a very nice Gew 98 made in 1917 to see if I would be interesting in a partial trade for the parts he needed. We agreed and for the sum of the parts and an extra $100 cash the rifle was mine (I think total cost of it all for me was around $200-$250 with parts included). Later before he left he handed me this plate he had and I was shocked to learn it was a POW dog tag for a prisoner captured by the Germans and sent to Stalag 4B, which was one of the largest POW camps in Germany. It had been found by a friend of his in Austria while metal detecting at the site of a POW processing site where POWs either were sent to their respective camps or liberated from captivity. It is a somber reminder of the other side of the war as this tag could've belonged to one of the hundreds of Polish fighters who tried to liberate Warsaw in the Warsaw Uprising who were later captured by the Germans and exclusively sent to Stalag 4B. All in all I had one of the best shows I've had in six years and I hope this bodes well for the remainder of the year as far as shows go.
image390.jpg
image391.jpg
image393.jpg
image394.jpg
image395.jpg

1 - 4 of 4 Posts