Mississippi Gun Owners banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m on the board for Hope Hollow Ministries (not-profit) located in Madison and we are having a Boots & BBQ Cookout/Event on April 18, 2020, and I volunteered to donate a firearm or 2 to raffle off at the event. All proceeds go to HH.

I’ve never done a firearm raffle so I don’t know what type of firearm would be best. Obviously we would like to do something that would maximize ticket sales. So looking for suggestions on what you would buy a raffle ticket for and how much you’d spend on a chance to win said firearm?

Here is a link to HH’s website if you want to see what the proceeds will go to...
Hope Hollow Ministries

·
Super Moderator
13,190 Posts
Wow that’s a wide open question. I would say something in the $3-500 range of reputable manufacture. Most single gun raffles I’ve seen and participated in have tickets for $5 or 5 tix for $20. For the higher end guns I’ve spent $20 on a ticket or 5 for $100 if there were a low number of tickets being sold and I liked the charity

·
Premium Member
6,139 Posts
Things can be simple among friends, but in this day and time, I will present some facts that you need to check on. As a non profit org, you can do various events, etc to raise money. It can be a simple donation or a prize.1. you need to give the person a bill of sale. You could talk to a local gun store and ask how they do it. You do not want to accidently give a gun to someone that cannot buy a gun from a local store or cannot legally own a gun due to past convictions. If you decided what gun through a local gun shop, they should be able to pass a background check. Or you could give them cash.
For instance I am the founder and president of a non profit.
I would not worry about giving a personal gun to some close friends because I know they have Instructor Certified Concealed carry licenses. Everyone in the neighborhood probably could not buy a gun and in some cases are not supposed to own a gun.
Therefore to avoid any problems with law enforcement agencies, you need to talk to some organizations who have had guns as prizes in the last couple years.
I am not trying to put a damper on your good intensions ; Just don,t want your group to NOT get into any trouble.
I hope that ya,ll raise plenty to help others.

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
A Henry Golden Boy is always a good one; appeals to young and old. If you can lay your hands on some type of commemorative even better. As Phillip said, $5 tickets - 5 for $20

·
Registered
12,670 Posts
Things can be simple among friends, but in this day and time, I will present some facts that you need to check on. As a non profit org, you can do various events, etc to raise money. It can be a simple donation or a prize.1. you need to give the person a bill of sale. You could talk to a local gun store and ask how they do it. You do not want to accidently give a gun to someone that cannot buy a gun from a local store or cannot legally own a gun due to past convictions. If you decided what gun through a local gun shop, they should be able to pass a background check. Or you could give them cash.
I would not worry about giving a personal gun to some close friends because I know they have Instructor Certified Concealed carry licenses. Everyone in the neighborhood probably could not buy a gun and in some cases are not supposed to own a gun.
Therefore to avoid any problems with law enforcement agencies, you need to talk to some organizations who have had guns as prizes in the last couple years.
I am not trying to put a damper on your good intensions ; Just don,t want your group to NOT get into any trouble.
He is an ffl.

·
Deplorable Curmudgeon
16,662 Posts
Raffles I have seen is usually a shot gun.
I would consider making it a 20 gauge turkey gun
That would seem to be a gun that would appeal to everyone men and women

·
Premium Member
3,133 Posts
A golden boy or 20 Gauge shotgun are both good suggestions. While I'm not a big Ruger 10/22 fan personally, they seem to be good raffle items. I would generally avoid pistols unless it's a 22 rim fire like a Browning buckmark. Or a deer rifle in a mild but not too mild cartridge that both an adult or an older child could use...something in a 7-08, 270 Win or maybe a 308 Winchester.

·
Registered
711 Posts
I think that any Ruger 10/22, AR-15 and Remington 870s are what I have purchased the most chances on. High dollar guns usually have to sell a lot of tickets thus reducing the chances of winning....plus almost everybody will take any of the guns that I listed.

·
Registered
15,254 Posts
A gift cert to a local gun shop would avoid a lot of potential complications, and give the winner more choices. They may prefer an accessory, ammo, etc. or a firearm of their choice.

·
Premium Member
2,433 Posts
That is good advice. Years ago I ran the Rocky Mtn Elk Foundation fund raiser in NE Ms. For the guns involved, we always had a local dealer who accepted the guns, logged in and then followed the law in logging them out to any winner...…..

Reactions: Mesquite

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
While 10/22s are wonderful guns I wouldn't buy a $5 ticket for one ($2 maybe). 1911s (or any handgun for that matter) are desirable but may limit who can win due to age. Might affect ticket sales. I thought about a shotgun but then thought it might not be as desirable due to time of year?? A gift certificate to one of the local gun shops might make a good second prize but for me personally at least no prize gets my heart pumping and opens my wallet faster than a bright shinny new gun. :)

Reactions: Mesquite

·
Deplorable Curmudgeon
16,662 Posts
it as to be something that appeals to all ages and both sexes

like a mossberg 702 plinkster 22lr
It would cost about $125.00 to buy and if ticket sales are up would be a money maker
kids could buy in at $1.00 a ticket
adults $2.00

·
μολὼν λαβέ
35,535 Posts
If you do it get something that appeals to the general gun users and has a little resale value also. Ruger 10/22, AR15, you can get all kinds of good carry guns under 500.00. But stay away from names not known , don't sell much, and stay awy from bottom end guns. Even if the initial cost is more it will go a long way in helping you sell tickets.

·
Registered
12,439 Posts
I would say raffle a 410 turkey gun. they are the cats meow this year due to the new craze for the tss shot. If you could get a Stevens 310 in 410 it will go well. its a cheap shotty but they sell like hotcakes. could also do either a 6.5cm or 7mm-08 hunting rifle. they do really well in raffles as well. or a 20ga auto turkey gun. they are selling great as well. 12ga's are not hot anymore.

·
MSGO Court Jester
37,092 Posts
Gunny's right, gift certificate is the best way to get the most tickets sold. For example: I would not buy a ticket for s turkey gun. I might for a 10/22, but I might not. I would for a 20 gauge Mossy pump with a 20" barrel or similar 870. But I would most likely buy a gift certificate that gave me options for several different guns from which to choose.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts