Mississippi Gun Owners banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
μολὼν λαβέ
37,529 Posts
Nice, I've ordered a couple molds and a Melter so hoping to do a little casting myself when I get everything together. I've only about 80 some pounds but its a start.

You look like you are off to a great start.

Reactions: Soonered

·
Premium Member
14,667 Posts
480lbs.......... WOW ! ! !

In all my years of smelting and casting I don't think I have smelted that much in one day. You must have been at it most of the day.

What did you use to make those big ingots? They look GOOD.

Show us a picture of your smelting setup.

NICE work. I am impressed.

·
Registered
7,243 Posts
So you drove by my house to get ore to smelt. What chemicals did you add? What did you do with the other minerals? A lot of gold and silver shows up.

·
Registered
7,243 Posts
480lbs.......... WOW ! ! !

In all my years of smelting and casting I don't think I have smelted that much in one day. You must have been at it most of the day.

What did you use to make those big ingots? They look GOOD.

Show us a picture of your smelting setup.

NICE work. I am impressed.

In all my years I've never smelted any.

·
Premium Member
3,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I'm using a harbor freight Dutch oven i got from @shoeshooter and a turkey fryer. I started around 11 and had stuff put away around 5:30. In the jet tub at 6:45 because I'm sore. Wasn't sore while working but after I got in the house, sat down and tried to get up i was having trouble walking w/o a limp. I'll post some picks of the mini muffin pans. They make about 8 lb bricks which one will fit in my casting pot to get started. I got them at Kroger. First couple of pours had bubbles due to coating releasing gas until it burned off. A bunch of my pours are sloppy but I got better as the day went.

Hopefully I'll get some more wheel weights this week. Trying to wipe out my honey whole i found. I'm getting only about 10%, maybe slightly more of trash and paying 20 cents a pound. It's probably my only good deal I'll ever get on lead so trying to get all I can.

·
Premium Member
14,551 Posts
One thing about it.......my help will never end. If you need it just say so. I’ll do all i can to you foster the continued growth of knowledge for anyone wanting to learn.
in the near future I’ll be kicking around the idea of putting on another casting meet and greet at my shop if some would like to come and learn.

·
μολὼν λαβέ
37,529 Posts
Hell yeah I'm in providing I'm not at work. I really enjoyed the last one.

·
Premium Member
3,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
@SubGunFan here a picture of the mini muffin pan. If you fill the pan full you get about 8+ pounds. I like this size as on will fit in my RCBS Pro melt when I start it up. They are a 5" x 3" so the size of an index card.

They were on sale the other day at Kroger for buy one at 2.99 get one 50% off. So, 4 of them cost me $9. They seem to work well and the size is about as large as I want for bulk storage.

muffin pan.png

·
Premium Member
3,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Had a question. My ingots seem a little frosted. Is that normal or am I maybe running my turkey fryer hotter than I need and could back off to save some propane? On the propane note, I did all this and didn't go through an entire tank. So, considering it was cold, windy and I don't have any wind shields / heat retaining attached to the fryer, I'm happy it didn't take a fortune to power the fryer for all this lead. The fryer was running non-stop from around 11:00 am to about 4:45. So, almost 6 hours.

·
Premium Member
14,551 Posts
Had a question. My ingots seem a little frosted. Is that normal or am I maybe running my turkey fryer hotter than I need and could back off to save some propane? On the propane note, I did all this and didn't go through an entire tank. So, considering it was cold, windy and I don't have any wind shields / heat retaining attached to the fryer, I'm happy it didn't take a fortune to power the fryer for all this lead. The fryer was running non-stop from around 11:00 am to about 4:45. So, almost 6 hours.
Don’t worry about it,could be temp,could be reaction to the material you’re pouring it into.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts