Mississippi Gun Owners banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I loaded three rounds of Speer BTSP in my 308 yesterday afternoon. I used Hornady brass. All three pieces weighed within 1 grain of each other. As I seated the bullets, two felt “normal”. The last one was significantly harder to seat.
At 100 yards, the first and third shot landed within an inch. The second shot was a flier that was two inches to the right and an inch high.
I realize this could be a powder charge or seating depth issue which is likely. I’m just wondering how crucial neck tension is for 100 yard shooting.
I’ve ordered 100 pieces of Lapua brass, which now that it has been ordered, is notorious for having thick walls and increasing neck tension. Do any of y’all have an opinion on the use of the bushing dies? Are they overrated for me doing primarily 100 yard shooting?
Also, the dies I’m using for this cartridge are Hornady custom. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
32 Posts
I use an RCBS full length resizing die and a standard rcbs seating die with about 1/4 turn of crimp. I set my powder thrower about 1/4 grain low and trickle up to my charge weight. I've been able to get single digit sd and low es using that method. Neck tension is important, but a regular sizing die should get you there pretty well.

And I'm using cheap once fired lake city brass...

Edit: I do also trim my brass after every other resizing. I think variance in neck length can have an impact on things.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you. I’ll stick with the dies I have. I have a friend who also recommended the Lake City brass. Some of the reviews I read said a lot of trimming is required which led me to hold off for now. I need to invest in a good trimmer. I have a Lyman hand trimmer right now and don’t like it. It was decent to start off with but not as precise as I want.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Some pieces require quite a bit of trimming, some are just a touch. I think it depends on what they were fired through. I use a regular Lyman hand trimmer with a drill adapter, I'm also looking for a faster way, but it is very accurate and gets the job done for now.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The times I’ve used the drill with mine the set screw has worked just loose enough to wear a groove into the pilot on the trimmer, and can’t get the screw tight enough to keep that from happening. I’m sure it’s more than likely user error on my part. Good point about what it was fired through. Where do you like to order your LC brass?

·
Registered
32 Posts
The last batch came from everglades ammo, but I usually just search around and see who's cheapest. I have a wet tumbler so I dont pay extra for processed.

I havent had trouble with my drill attachment yet, but I see how that could happen. I trim mine while they still have case lube on them from sizing, and I use spray lube so there's a little inside the neck, might make a difference.

I'm looking pretty hard at the Little Crow Gunworks wft 2. Might want to check it out.

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
I'm looking pretty hard at the Little Crow Gunworks wft 2. Might want to check it out.
I have a WFT 1 and although it is okay I prefer my CTS trimmers. They seem to be faster and easier to use. That said someone recently turned me on to the "Worlds Cheapest Trimmer" and they look interesting enough to try out. I haven't gotten around to buying one yet though. Waiting till I have a need in a caliber I don't already have a trimmer for.

WCT (found on eBay)

HMR "WCT" - World's Cheapest Trimmer-multiple calibers | eBay

CTS trimmers (he does custom calibers also)

https://www.ctstrimmer.com/6-case-trimmers

Reactions: BIGJOE38922

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
I have a friend who also recommended the Lake City brass.
In calibers it is available I use LC brass exclusively. Although it is a little more work due to the need for swaging, I find LC brass to be more consistent than commercial brass. I prefer to buy it unprocessed and do my own processing (I trust myself more than I trust the other guy). Normally pay 4 cents ea (5.56, what I buy the most of. Honestly can't remember what I paid for 7.62 the last time a bought it a couple of years ago. I picked up 5K so haven't needed more) that way in quantity's over 1K.

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
Do the cts trimmers deburr and chamfer?
No they do not; they use an end mill for the actual trimming so not possible. That said neither do the WFT you were looking at since they also use an end mill to do the actual trimming.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Yessir I believe I'm gonna go with a trim it 2 for 6.5cm and 223 I just bought 1000 pieces of 6.5 brass and I'm not lookin forward to trimmer with my Lee lol

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have a WFT 1 and although it is okay I prefer my CTS trimmers. They seem to be faster and easier to use. That said someone recently turned me on to the "Worlds Cheapest Trimmer" and they look interesting enough to try out. I haven't gotten around to buying one yet though. Waiting till I have a need in a caliber I don't already have a trimmer for.

WCT (found on eBay)

https://www.ctstrimmer.com/6-case-trimmers
No concerns with the poly insert wearing down? I've seen complaints of scuffing up cases while trimming where the wft has a bearing that wont mar the brass.

I also like the idea of being able to swap inserts on the wft2, I load 4 different rifle calibers with plans for 2 more.

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
No concerns with the poly insert wearing down? I've seen complaints of scuffing up cases while trimming where the wft has a bearing that wont mar the brass.

I also like the idea of being able to swap inserts on the wft2, I load 4 different rifle calibers with plans for 2 more.
Short answer is no; at least not so far. I've been using CTS trimmers for probably 5 years now. I've got one is 223/5.56, 300 blk, 7.62 and 277 wlv. Haven't had any issues with wear or marking the cases. I KNOW I've trimmed at least 20k cases of both 5.56 and 300 blk; probably 5k of 277 wlv and probably 1k of 7.62; so I've given them a fair workout.

The WFT is quite a bit bigger and heavier; you'd be surprised how much of a difference that makes. Also the WFT-2 is a slip fit with a rubber O-ring that holds it all together. I don't own one (my WFT is a first gen) but it sure doesn't sound like an arrangement that I'd like. Also the WFT is $80 and the inserts are $25. The WCTs are less than that complete. As far as the CTS trimmers go; with you loading 4 calibers that $155 to do it with the WFT and inserts. CTS is within a few dollars and you have 4 full trimmers. No change overs (which I hate)

EDIT: When I re-read my post, it almost sounds like I'm trying to convince you. I'm really not; just sharing my thoughts. Not everyone thinks or works the same way .............. that's why they make chocolate and vanilla.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Replace the 277 with a 6.8spc and we'd have an identical lineup.

I appreciate the info, thsts exactly why I asked. I havent purchased either yet, so I'm open to opinions. I'll check out the CTS, thanks

·
Registered
844 Posts
I

WCT (found on eBay)

Case Trimmers - CTS Engineering
Bought a WCT in 6.5cm that lil dude is awesome on the drill motor stuck in the vice. Consistent and super fast

·
Premium Member
3,215 Posts
Well, I loaded three rounds of Speer BTSP in my 308 yesterday afternoon. I used Hornady brass. All three pieces weighed within 1 grain of each other. As I seated the bullets, two felt “normal”. The last one was significantly harder to seat.
At 100 yards, the first and third shot landed within an inch. The second shot was a flier that was two inches to the right and an inch high.
I realize this could be a powder charge or seating depth issue which is likely. I’m just wondering how crucial neck tension is for 100 yard shooting.
I’ve ordered 100 pieces of Lapua brass, which now that it has been ordered, is notorious for having thick walls and increasing neck tension. Do any of y’all have an opinion on the use of the bushing dies? Are they overrated for me doing primarily 100 yard shooting?
Also, the dies I’m using for this cartridge are Hornady custom. Thanks in advance!
Back to OP question.

Lapua brass is of high quality.

Neck tension is very important to accuracy

I really like bushing dies....but, for them to work best, neck thickness must be cconsistant.

I tend to use bushing dies on brass that I neck turn.

You can buy FL dies that use bushings to resize the neck instead of a pull through expander or some dies use a collect to size the neck.

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
I

Bought a WCT in 6.5cm that lil dude is awesome on the drill motor stuck in the vice. Consistent and super fast
Good to know; Like I said I don't have one yet but now I'm even more convinced that I need to try them.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts