Mississippi Gun Owners banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
27,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sheriff Scott Israel will be suspended over Parkland massacre response, source says - CNN

The Florida sheriff whose office responded to the massacre at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland will be suspended by the state's new governor Friday, a source familiar with the process told CNN.

Gov. Ron DeSantis will suspend embattled Broward County Sheriff Scott Israel over the handling of the 2018 mass shooting, in which 17 students and teachers were killed by a former student.

The governor is expected to make the official announcement at 3 p.m. at the Broward County public safety complex, during an event billed as "a message on holding government officials accountable."

The Broward County Sheriff's Office would not comment on the report.

###

More info at article link.

·
Premium Member
303 Posts
Sheriff Scott Israel will be suspended over Parkland massacre response, source says - CNN

The Florida sheriff whose office responded to the massacre at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland will be suspended by the state's new governor Friday, a source familiar with the process told CNN.

Gov. Ron DeSantis will suspend embattled Broward County Sheriff Scott Israel over the handling of the 2018 mass shooting, in which 17 students and teachers were killed by a former student.

The governor is expected to make the official announcement at 3 p.m. at the Broward County public safety complex, during an event billed as "a message on holding government officials accountable."

###

Worst part of all of this is he started the finger-pointing blame game against the NRA who had nothing to do with the killings by Cruz. And of course the media jumped on it.

Many Americans have not been taught about personal responsibility but have been taught about being a victim. I firmly believe this happened when parents decided to delegate their parenting responsibilities to school teachers.

Who is in charge of academia? Many radical leftists and they fully support the concept that the government is the answer to everything and they perpetuate the victim mentality - never the person's fault.

Climbing down off my box now.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts

###

Just who is gonna hold the Govenor responsible for HIS actions? Seems to me he is a lot higher up the food chain than the sheriff. Will he face any consequenses. I learned a long time ago, don't throw rocks if you live in a glass house. My $.02.

·
Premium Member
27,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Just who is gonna hold the Govenor responsible for HIS actions? Seems to me he is a lot higher up the food chain than the sheriff. Will he face any consequenses. I learned a long time ago, don't throw rocks if you live in a glass house. My $.02.
No one.

Ron DeSantis is the new FL governor. Former FL governor Rick Scott is now U.S. Senator Rick Scott.

·
μολὼν λαβέ
35,446 Posts
Believe that is a 2 way street if ever there was one.
From 20 years offshore I'd have to disagree. I've been the Indian and the chief. A Indian can look good all by himself. If the Chief isn't up to snuff, the Indian still looks good. But a Chief not so much....If his Indians aren't all inline then it makes him look bad.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
From 20 years offshore I'd have to disagree. I've been the Indian and the chief. A Indian can look good all by himself. If the Chief isn't up to snuff, the Indian still looks good. But a Chief not so much....If his Indians aren't all inline then it makes him look bad.
Fair enough.

·
Premium Member
27,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just like the bad penny that he is, this dirty copper keeps turning up for more PR.

Suspended Broward Sheriff Scott Israel files lawsuit, demands job back

Embattled Broward County Sheriff Scott Israel, suspended from elected office in January by Gov. Ron DeSantis for the department’s response to a pair of mass shootings, filed a lawsuit Thursday arguing that the governor had no basis to remove him and asking the court to reinsert him immediately to the most powerful elected post in the county.

The 36-page petition for reinstatement filed in Broward County Circuit Court argues that the newly elected governor exceeded his constitutional authority and was merely following through on a campaign promise when he removed Israel from office on Jan. 11, only three days after the governor was sworn in.

Israel’s lawsuit challenges DeSantis’ claim that Israel was responsible for failing to protect the victims during a shooting spree at Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport in January 2017 that ended five lives and during the Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School attack in February 2018 in which 17 students and staff were killed and another 17 were injured.

·
Premium Member
27,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Florida Supreme Court Sides With Governor DeSantis: Broward County Sheriff Can Be Suspended From Duty

On Tuesday, the Florida Supreme Court sided with Florida Governor Ron DeSantis (R), upholding the governor’s use of executive power to suspend Broward County Sheriff Scott Israel from duty after his mishandling of two terrible tragedies.

Israel was suspended from his post as Broward County sheriff in January by DeSantis for botching the responses to two horrific shootings under his tenure: the massacre at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland in 2018 that took the lives of 17 people and the attack at the Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport in 2017 that killed five.

In a tweet posted Tuesday, DeSantis announced the court’s decision, tearing into Israel for his “neglect of duty and incompetence” and stating that he was “look[ing] forward” to the “formal removal” of Israel.

###

BOOM!

·
Seeker of wisdom & Purveyor of the truth!
617 Posts
Yes his response to the issues were totally wrong, it is obvious he caved to liberal media pressure when he raised the age of buying a rifle and the red flag law.

·
Premium Member
27,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Update on Florida/Florida schools:

Florida governor signs bill allowing more armed teachers

Posted: May 09, 2019 09:23 AM EDT
Updated: May 09, 2019 09:23 AM EDT

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (AP) — More Florida teachers will be eligible to carry guns in the classroom under a bill Republican Gov. Ron DeSantis signed Wednesday that immediately implements recommendations from a commission formed after a mass shooting at a high school in Parkland.

DeSantis signed the bill in private and didn't issue a statement afterward. But he previously made it clear he supports the changes made to the law enacted after a rifle-toting former student walked into Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School and killed 17 people in February 2018.

"We did a lot for public safety," DeSantis said immediately after the legislative session ended Saturday. "The Marjory Stoneman Douglas bill, people had disagreements on, but ultimately ... I think we're going to be safer."

The bill was one of the most contentious of the legislative session that ended Saturday. It expands the "guardian" program that allows school districts to approve school employees and teachers with a role outside the classroom, such as a coach, to carry guns. School districts have to approve and teachers have to volunteer. They then go through police-like training with a sheriff's office and undergo a psychiatric evaluation and a background check.

The new law expands the program to make all teachers eligible regardless of whether they have a non-classroom role.

Democrats spent hours arguing against the bill, saying it could lead to accidental shootings, or that a teacher could panic and fire during a confrontation with students. Republicans emphasized that the program is voluntary, and that law enforcement in some rural districts could be 15 minutes or more away from a school if a shooter attacks.

Broward County, where the Parkland shooting took place, has rejected the program

###

(emphasis, mine)

As comedian Ron White jokes, "You can't fix stupid." Sadly, this ^^^ isn't a joke.

And that lying Broward County school superintendent needs to be prosecuted, IMO.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts