close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

FN FAL Advice

Discussion in 'Long Guns' started by CajunBP, Apr 27, 2016.

1. CajunBP

CajunBP Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

I have the opportunity to swap a new gen 4 Glock and maybe up to $200for an FN FAL. I have always wanted one, and I am wondering if there is a scenario in which I am making a bad deal. I know the guy pretty well and I know he has had it for about 10 years. It would seem like even if I have to replace the barrel it is a good deal for me just curious what you guys thought. Thanks.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2016
  2. Sum Gy Custom Firearms

Sum Gy Custom Firearms Distinguished Poster

FN FAL to me is the finest fighting rifle ever made! JMO

Hoot G, I'm a Rebel and Tall Boy like this.

3. CajunBP

I had to edit my message, dang spellcheck. So in your opinion it is probably a pretty good deal for me? I get rid of a Glock and I get an FN FAL!

4. CajunBP

5. Sum Gy Custom Firearms

Sum Gy Custom Firearms Distinguished Poster

6. vr1967

vr1967 Rooinek Amerikaanse

As long as it is a 7.62x51 one and not a .280 British it should be a good deal.

While the .280 ones are rare, I think ammo would be hard to almost impossible to find. (Most probably don't know they made them in this caliber)

7. 22lrfan

22lrfan Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

I've been wanting a FAL. I would do it.

8. mascott

mascott Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

9. CajunBP

Thanks guys, I was worried about all of the parts kits, but it sounds like it will be worth it even if I have to do a little work on it, and it is definitely the 7.62.

10. SLBcmtr

SLBcmtr Got to get to the cabin

At face value ... seems like a "what are you waiting for!!!"

Now, keep us posted on the markings, etc. When I got mine, I went thru a steep learning curve
    on the many different parts. Mine is a Aussie.

I'm a Rebel, CajunBP, 22lrfan and 2 others like this.
  11. maxhush

maxhush Distinguished Poster

NW MS
    Who made the FAL though? Mainly the questions I'd have at that price are "Is it a Century build?" or "Is it parts build?". The parts kits and receiver (Enterprise and Hesse are considered much less desirable as I recall it) that was used can effect value. Imbels are considered desirable, as are the Austrian Stg58 builds (DSA assembled a number of them on their receivers). Original FN imported FALs are the gold standard. Inch pattern FALS (from British Commonwealth countries) use different magazines and some parts. Many things can effect the desirability/value of an FAL. FAL files (FALFILES.COM - The FAL Files) is a good place to look for info.

BTW, if anyone out there has one in .280 I'd be interested. :D I cannot recall ever having seen one for sale. There were also some imported chambered in .223 by FN/Browning a few decades ago.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2016
  12. chris_k

chris_k Distinguished Poster

even if it's a century build, unless its on of their really bad ones (I'm no expert), then it's probably still a good deal.

I have two, a STG-58 that is awesome and a century L1A1 sporter that has a metric lower and I did the conversion on it back to it's former glory.

13. 2DARK2C

2DARK2C Distinguished Poster

all things above taken into consideration. you need to decide what you need and what you want.

if the glock runs 100% and you trust it with your life, i'd hesitate trading it for a century or hesse receiver build just to say you have a FAL. if it is an older DSA then it is a smoking deal that you should go get it right now :) as long as you have other handguns to fill your "needs"!

keep us posted

I'm a Rebel, maxhush, 22lrfan and 2 others like this.
  14. CajunBP

I got handguns, including a Glock 27, I just don't like the 17. I really got it for my wife and she wasn't wild about it either. I know the guy well, so I know the FN isn't going anywhere, so I have time to look at the issues you guys all raised. I knew you guys would come through, now when I look at it I have some idea of what to look for. I love the old guns but some of the creations out there scare me! Thanks for the input. If I pursue it I will post pics.

15. phillipd

phillipd Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

columbus
    Never had a glock or an fn fal. But to me this is a no brainer, get the fn. Especially since neither you or the missus likes the glock.

I'm a Rebel, 22lrfan, CajunBP and 2 others like this.
  16. CajunBP

Sort of what I was thinking...if I change my mind, they will be making Glocks for a long time!

17. Tall Boy

Tall Boy Distinguished Poster

No, no, no! That's not just YOUR opinion. It's mine, too.

And, Cajun, if you don't make that deal, I'm interested. I don't think my wife is too attached to her G17, gen4. That'd be a good deal, I think, for almost any FAL that runs well...even a crappy Century build. An if it's an FN, I'd drive south all day to be able to make the trade.

18. phillipd

phillipd Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

columbus
    Yep. That fn in any configuration is still a good rifle at the worst.

19. 2DARK2C

2DARK2C Distinguished Poster

I doubt it is an FN :) 10yrs ago there were no FN made FAL's except secondhand market for many thousands of $$$ . it is a kit build of some sort. century,dsa, enterprise, home build.......

we are all tuned in , get the specs!

I'm a Rebel and chris_k like this.