Mississippi Gun Owners banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So past places I always hunted, someone had a tractor, or hired one or whatever, threw in on seed/diesel and didn't worry about it.

Went and check the family place today, while I was living out of state other folks had cut/mowed some spot and put in food plots put up stands and all that, they all hunted a few years and it sat back up (breakups/divorces and whatnot got the main people that used it, while me and my brother were out of state/in school/starting families and all that).

Me and my brother went and checked it today, and we gotta rebuild all the stands, and clear and re-plant the plots.

Anyone here plant plots with minimal equipment? We're thinking lawn tractor/mower with a disc behind it, or maybe we can find a cheap ATV somewhere. These aren't huge plots maybe 1/8-1/4 acre tops, no more than a suburban yard. It's about 80-90 acres total so it doesn't have to get too far back from the road.

Saw a mess of deer and a few turkeys today. It's a honey hole. Just don't want to spend a bunch of money on a tractor and other stuff we can't tow or afford to buy to begin with. Whatever it is will have to sit out there in BFE.

·
Registered
10,823 Posts
As Mac said mow and throw. Greens, clover and even Wheat can all be planted by just throwing out on ground after mowing. We have gotten to where we never break ground in pasture as it disturbs the seed bank and leads to a lot of weeds and a lot more clipping. We just throw and go. It does take more seed so if 1 bag per acre is recommended with normal disking and covering seed then may need to apply 1.25-1.5bags per acre. Takes a while for that to add up to even a 4wheeler disk and it requires fewer passes over the plot so you save time, fuel and wear & tear on machinery.

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Mow & throw definitely works and we’ve also taken the cart ridden it down then used a wire mesh drag to pull over. Seed it pull back over, get some rain, fertilize and you are good to go. Throw some clover seed in later near your shooting houses and it tends to come back each year with a good stand after deer season but the turkeys love it.

·
Registered
10,823 Posts
Mow & throw definitely works and we’ve also taken the cart ridden it down then used a wire mesh drag to pull over. Seed it pull back over, get some rain, fertilize and you are good to go. Throw some clover seed in later near your shooting houses and it tends to come back each year with a good stand after deer season but the turkeys love it.
Mowing the clover late spring and early fall helps as well as spraying
(2-4D-B) to reduce competition in spring and summer. If there is a single species to plant for all species of wildlife, clover is going to be up there.

·
Premium Member
1,274 Posts
Is it too late to put out clover?

·
Registered
10,823 Posts
Is it too late to put out clover?
E3D9A3AF-C3DF-4566-89CF-C6D31CFD9DB4.jpeg
Some recommend planting in Sprng others in fall but check what the particular variety you want to plant calls for.

The biggest thing of you want to grow a perineal stand of clover for wildlife, DO NOT plant ryegrass with it. Wheat works great though as long as you mow it in spring and fall.

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
We use Ladino Clover (White perennial) and it works well with most soils. Deer keep it mowed down during the season but around Feb-March it kicks back up and the turkeys love it. I will over seed around the shooting house out to 40-50 yards mainly for turkey season. If you really want to know how your plot is doing pin a wire rolled cage up and it will amaze most how high the field would actually be in Dec/Jan if it wasn’t getting hammered by the deer.

·
Premium Member
Let's go shoot some, we dont want to wound anything.
6,296 Posts
I have owned tractors for 36 years. I have a light double disc. What I started doing several years ago when I was doing all the work is 1, BUSH HOG
2. LET SET N SUN two weeks
3. With seed spreader on tractor, Sow seed and fertilizer on cut ground.
4. Go back with double disc and lightly go over whole field. This turns and chops dead grass and weeds into ground to hold moisture and covers seed and fertilizer with light layer of soil.
5. In December go back and spread a light coat of ammonia nitrate over green field.
You can use a 4-wheeler with disc and electric spreader or spread the seed by hand or hand held seed spreader. If you are going to get serious about keeping up this land. With 90 acres, a bunch of green fields, and roads and trails through the land, I would look toward a small tractor, [25hp plus] to keep the land up and in so doing keep the value
up. Get a friend or neighbor to show you how to bush hog. It is dangerous, you have to be very careful when using a tractor and bush hog.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts