Mississippi Gun Owners banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,787 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Big Horn Armory’s new project: The AR500 in .500 Auto Mag

Something new is coming next year from Big Horn Armory: The AR500 in .500 Auto Mag. Billed as “the most powerful short range semi-auto in the world”, the ballistics on the new cartridge are most impressive if confirmed. Out of an 18″ barrel, numbers for some of Underwood’s and Doubletap’s loads well exceed ME for the .458 SOCOM and even Brenneke Black Magic Magnum Slugs. These massive rounds aren’t so slow, either. Many are moving along at over 2200 fps, not bad for 350-400gr bullets. For comparison, this somewhat comparable to .458 Win. Mag/375 H&H Mag-level performance at short range.
The diameter and OAL of the cartridge requires it to be chambered in a AR10-based platform, so this power comes with a premium in size and possibly weight over big-bore platforms compatible with AR15 lowers. Magazines that ship with the rifle with hold 10 rounds. At first glance, the new rifle and cartridge do not appear to use a “compact” AR10 lower. No word yet on whether we will ever see a massive semiauto handgun chambered in this round. I have reached out to BHA for more details on the manufacturing status and projected availability of the cartridge itself. This article will be updated when that information becomes available.

Per Big Horn Armory:

Price: $1999.00

Introducing the Big Horn Armory AR500 semi-auto rifle. Chambered in the 500 Auto Mag cartridge. It is the most powerful short range semi-auto in the world. Based on an AR 308 platform, it is capable of putting 50 BMG power on target with three trigger pulls with very reliable extraction.

The 500 Auto Mag is a rimless 500 S&W Magnum. A very versatile cartridge, It can handle anything from prairie dogs to pachydemrs to Peterbilts. Truck stopping power in a platform weighing less than 10 pounds.

1:24 twist 18″ Barrel, adjustable gas block, full picatinny rail, M-Lok forend, adjustable buttstock, flash suppressor, no sights, 10 round magazine, hard plastic case.

Pre-orders are being taken today for delivery in the first quarter of 2018. $600 deposit required.

·
Gatekeeper to my corner of Hell.
21,164 Posts
Not an Operator but that is interesting. Really not that bad of a price either.

·
21,164 Posts
This is totally impractical for any application I could find for it....... I MUST HAVE IT!!!!
Got to their website and look at the lever guns.

·
21,164 Posts
Ammo's gonna'be high! 400 500 even 600 grain bullet!
'Rocket brick.
Buffalo Bore ammo is $3.37 per round... A might expensive.

Reactions: Mesquite

·
Registered
16,170 Posts
I hope they have some decent recoil control on that monster. :wut:

Reactions: Quickeye
1 - 12 of 12 Posts