Mississippi Gun Owners banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been tossing around the idea of doing a Form 1 suppressor build for a while. Anyone here done one and have any builds and suggestions? I mainly interested in a .22LR and a .45 cal rifle can (for something like a 450BM or 458 Socom).

·
Registered
13,064 Posts
To do the rifle one you will spend quite a bit to get a mediocre performing an, if you are lucky. You would save money and get better performance buying an off the shelf can.

·
Eat Sleep Guns & Jeep
10,357 Posts
To do the rifle one you will spend quite a bit to get a mediocre performing an, if you are lucky. You would save money and get better performance buying an off the shelf can.
:yeah:

Centerfire pressures are no joke. You'll be fine form 1ing a rimfire can. But definitely go professional and warrantied centerfire can.

·
Premium Member
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Centerfire pressures are no joke. You'll be fine form 1ing a rimfire can. But definitely go professional and warrantied centerfire can.
I've got a sealed .30 cal can so this would be for larger caliber stuff that I couldn't shoot out of that. Pressures drop off a lot once you go up in caliber so it wouldn't be as hard on the can.

The main two suppressors built for that caliber are the SilencerCo Hybrid and the Griffin Bushwacker. The Bushwacker is actually user serviceable so it wouldn't be hard to copy their design using off-the-shelf parts. I don't think there would be a big drop-off in performance because there's nothing magical about the way Griffin puts their cans together. The main benefit is their warranty, but I'd rather not have to wait the extra 11 months for something that I probably wouldn't ever use anyways.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Thanks for putting your thoughts out there! Think a few of us lurkers haven’t posted much on the subject.

unfortunately I’m a bit old school and have often thought to remain silent and be thought dumb than to speak and remove all doubt!

I’m a cheap old cuss and hate the thought of the tax stamp penalty for protecting my hearing! Live w tinnitus daily from “tupidity at an early age of shooting, now even double up on the protection when shooting rim fired!

Form 1..... “Least bang for the buck?”

shame me or whatever .... looked at wish.c0m

Not to hijack DC7’s thread! .... I think a lot of us novices have some of the same questions!

·
Hiding in plain sight.
2,216 Posts
My opinion...and you get what you pay for since this is free...take it with a grain of salt.

If you just use it to shoot 2-3 rounds during deer season plus sighting in every month just for fun, nothing wrong with a cheap do-it youself can.

If you are shooting precision matches, use it for work, or shoot 100+ rounds every weekend through it? Then yeah, but a warrantied backed can from a reputable company.

It’s not hard to do, just don’t make the can before the tax stamp arrives. That could be bad.

·
Registered
40 Posts
.22 is easy to do, with some kits being primarily SS, still lightweight, and still roughly $100-120.

.45 I've seen referred to as challenging by guys with double digit centerfire Form 1 cans. It's synonymous with building a 1911, except the ATF is interested in any potential missteps or replacement parts. Possible, just not something to dive in without wandering into a Form 1 board and learning a lot first.

I've got a few interesting posts soon to come on Form 1 cans though. Now remember, this is NFA-land we are talking about- soon means within a month or two!

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
:yeah:

I have seen several 30cal Form1 cans and they do work pretty good. Not as good as top of the line cans but better than many economy cans and cheaper too. If you have a lathe you can make some that perform quite well. Also seen 223 and 308 work with oil filters. In fact one company sold a serialized mounting plate for them, so if a Fram survives it fine then a steel tube should be fine. Aluminum should even work for a hunting suppressor (maybe not for hog hunting). Just don’t go doing mag dumps or FA and you should be ok with aluminum. Steel should be fine for FA just not with repeated mag dumps on a short 556 or 308. Even some premium FA rated cans don’t stand up to that.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Anyone looking to do a form 1 build may find the following useful. Though I would probably avoid the billet one with milled out offset circular chambers, that thing must weigh 3lbs

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
There are several companies that sell quality components. A guy had posted schematics of his build, but I can’t locate it. it was very similar to the Sico Omega in weight and sound reduction.

·
Registered
40 Posts
There are several companies that sell quality components. A guy had posted schematics of his build, but I can’t locate it. it was very similar to the Sico Omega in weight and sound reduction.
He makes good parts (I've heard his tubes aren't as nice as others, and not always bored quite right- but he'll fix it) and I'm actually expecting a package from him- hopefully today!

·
Registered
408 Posts
I've been tossing around the idea of doing a Form 1 suppressor build for a while. Anyone here done one and have any builds and suggestions? I mainly interested in a .22LR and a .45 cal rifle can (for something like a 450BM or 458 Socom).
Committed to anything yet?

·
Premium Member
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Dang! I stopped getting notification on this post and assumed it had died out. Glad there's still some conversation going!

Committed to anything yet?
I have not! I've done quite a bit of researching on the Form1 forum but haven't bought anything yet. I've got quite a few family members on my trust so it's taking a bit of goat roping to get everyone's info and fingerprints.

·
Premium Member
1,878 Posts
I have done several now. I am very pleased with all of them and would stack most up against store bought stuff-esp the .22lr ones. I am currently waiting on one for my MK V Sten which I want to make into a Mark VI-same weapon but integrally suppressed. The ones I've built for the Uzi's and the AR9 are very quiet. The loudest thing is the bolt cycling.

Reactions: DC7 and Redlick83

·
Registered
40 Posts
Well, it is legal, but nowhere near finished. Waiting to hear back from an SOT for having work done to it- I promise, it'll look a lot nicer when done!

YHM QD adapter so I can switch my cans around and check out the various effectiveness of my various planned suppressor builds

1 - 20 of 31 Posts