Mississippi Gun Owners banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 6x45 forster FL die coming. Do any of yall use their dies? Good, great, horrible? I've never read or heard anything negative about their dies. I have their case trimmer and love it. I didn't want to spend 70-80 on a Hornady set or more for Redding. Been using 223 die with 243 decapping assembly to get by. I know its over working the necks.

·
Premium Member
20,396 Posts
I have 1-Forster die set, 3 Redding sets and probably 2 dozen RCBS sets. I have had good experience with all of those. I don't like the LEE dies, but many people do.

·
μολὼν λαβέ
36,503 Posts
I've got the RCBS 6x45-2 die set , I really like them. Really like them more than the 223-4 die set from Lee. Honestly never tried a Forster die. But the RCBS set is good to go. Lee dies work good also just like the RCBS more.

Good luck with your loading of the 6x45. If you stumble on a really good loading be sure to share it with us.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thats what I was looking for. Midway had them on sale a while back for about 53 bucks. When I went back to order them they were out of stock. Now they're discontinued and no one has them. Made me so mad. Just my luck.

·
Registered
4,087 Posts
Forster / Bonanza are good quality dies. The only negative I can say about them is when I've called them for replacement parts they have charged me for them where RCBS does not (not even shipping). Lee dies depending on caliber are okay dies; especially their pistol caliber or straight wall dies. Just seem to be a little harder to setup. Lee also does not charge for replacement parts; they do however charge shipping (a flat rate of $9 no matter what you order). Hornady does free replacement and no shipping but give a little bit harder time making you justify the replacement. Also Hornady dies have more moving parts than any of the others so are possibly more prone to breakage. So far I've never had to order replacement parts for any Redding dies so can't comment on their customer service.

Reactions: maxhush

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've got the RCBS 6x45-2 die set , I really like them. Really like them more than the 223-4 die set from Lee. Honestly never tried a Forster die. But the RCBS set is good to go. Lee dies work good also just like the RCBS more.

Good luck with your loading of the 6x45. If you stumble on a really good loading be sure to share it with us.
Once I get some metal mags and stop using the pmags I'll see how it does.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Forster / Bonanza are good quality dies. The only negative I can say about them is when I've called them for replacement parts they have charged me for them where RCBS does not (not even shipping). Lee dies depending on caliber are okay dies; especially their pistol caliber or straight wall dies. Just seem to be a little harder to setup. Lee also does not charge for replacement parts; they do however charge shipping (a flat rate of $9 no matter what you order). Hornady does free replacement and no shipping but give a little bit harder time making you justify the replacement. Also Hornady dies have more moving parts than any of the others so are possibly more prone to breakage. So far I've never had to order replacement parts for any Redding dies so can't comment on their customer service.
I don't like anything lee makes except their classic cast press and collet neck sizer. All my dies are rcbs cause I sold or gave my lee dies away. I figured 40 bucks for a forster fl die was pretty good.

·
μολὼν λαβέ
36,503 Posts
Reactions: rrharris

·
Premium Member
2,623 Posts
I have used about every die made at one time or another. Bonanza Forester were on the leading edge back in the day for developing and making available to reloaders a very precise press and die that delivered coaxial alignment as close as you could get to custom hand dies in an arbor press. The Bonanza COAX press was the first press for standard dies Fred Sinclair would offer for sale and recommend. Bonanza Benchrest Seater dies were the first (that I am aware of) dies available for standard type presses which contained an alignment sleeve to align and hold the case as the bullet was seated.
If I am not mistaken they were the first sizer dies that would allow the expander ball position to be adjusted on the stem to allow the expander to engage the case neck as the case began its move out of the die.
Personally I never used the expander ball but rather use a neck expander die or used a busing die made by Neal Jones (still the best I have used)

Reactions: oO_Rogue_Oo

·
μολὼν λαβέ
36,503 Posts
Oooops, ok sorry about that. Thats the ones I'm using the small base. Really like them personally.

Reactions: osiek and rrharris

·
Gatekeeper to my corner of Hell.
20,730 Posts
Had to click on this thread, I thought someone named Forster died...LOL
Not a reloader.

Reactions: rigrat and fordpkup

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Oooops, ok sorry about that. Thats the ones I'm using the small base. Really like them personally.
Yeah I understand what they're for but I just never had the need for SB dies and I'm used to regular dies. No apologies necessary. I didn't think about the SB dies when I started this actually ha.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts