close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Frankford Arsenal Bullet Puller

Discussion in 'Reloading/Ammunition' started by BasMstr, Jan 12, 2018.

1. BasMstr

BasMstr Distinguished Poster

Finally ordered one of these since my box of "bad" bullets is getting full. I seem to recall reading somewhere that it's better to use shell holders instead of the collets that come with. Any advice?

Thanks!

IMG_0302.JPG IMG_1906.jpg

Soonered and Mesquite like this.
  2. righttoown

righttoown Distinguished Poster

Although not this brand but I have had bullet puller for years. I always used the collects that came with it and never had a problem. Works good.

3. stewbaby

stewbaby Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

I have this one and the RCBS...I don't know why you wouldn't use the provided collets.

BasMstr and Soonered like this.
  4. Ellis93

Ellis93 Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

As above......I use the collets provided with the tool.

I just hot glue my screwups to a board labeled screw ups lol

5. turable.shot

turable.shot Distinguished Poster

I have this same tool, and yes use the caliber shell holder. (Lee works, anyway)
    Learned to do so, somewhere on the internet.

This thing is not made to hit on a very hard surface, like concrete...I just use part of a 2x4.

6. Oldbuzzard

Oldbuzzard Distinguished Poster

I have found the shell holders to be easier to use than the colletts. It is just a matter of preference, try both and see which you like better.

BasMstr, Soonered and canebreaker like this.
  7. canebreaker

canebreaker Distinguished Poster

Mine is a '90 model with the 3rd set of collets, 9 mm collet is the one that wore out first, have to buy them as a set. I use a wedge of oak firewood and strike the end grain.
    I've heard of people breaking theirs. Need to tap, like driving a finishing nail without marring the wood, not drive a 20 penny nail with one strike.
    Besides my screw ups I bought 2,000 38spl rounds that were loaded without primes, 1,000 9mm loaded without powder. 2 coke flats of 38spl and 9mm reloads that were corroded. Plus a coffee can full of miss fires from the range.

BasMstr and Soonered like this.
  8. Soonered

Soonered Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

:yeah:

BasMstr likes this.
  9. locrawlr

locrawlr Distinguished Poster

Don't hit it on wood or a "soft" surface. If you have a concrete floor in your shop, hit that. The softer the surface, the less effective it is.

10. bls5

bls5 Distinguished Poster

I got tired of cleaning powder out of the bullet puller. I used a threaded adapter in my single stage press and a pair of pliers that I drilled out to clamp around the bullet. Sometimes it will mark a bullet but usually it works good

BasMstr likes this.