close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Frankinsaw

Discussion in 'General Off Topic' started by Ellis93, Apr 15, 2018.

1. Ellis93

Ellis93 Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

I'm in the midst of a shop revamp.....mostly just throwing stuff away and making some room for three different projects coming in the next few weeks.
    Freaking cluttered mess
    IMG_4603.JPG
    I worked on it some yesterday before the Lightning started and ran me out of the shop and into the house. Say what you want but I've been in there when lightning stuck it......not good lol
    Anywho......I've been using an old craftsman 10" table saw for years and found another just like it about 5yrs ago,the idea for the second saw.....parts for the first. They're not new,they're antique and could take a dump anytime. Not worried about any part of the machine but the 50/60 year old undercarriage. The arbor and its bearings are not even a issue really,the bearings can be bought and the shaft can be made easily.
    It's sat on the shop floor under a bench........till yesterday.
    I've always had to cut/rip then set up the thing for dados,the thought cam to me as I rammed my right legs shin into it.......why not run both saws...or throw this son of a ----- away! Lol
    So this is what I've came up with
    IMG_4605.JPG
    I only had one base and that was under my main saw. So I cut it in half and used some L shaped purlin to extend it,and mount the other saw on top.

One will be for cutting/ripping stock,the other will be for heavy stock removal....as it's got a 2hp 220v motor. It should eat oak and hickory like pine.
    Also set up the fence system to where I can cut stuff 46" from the outside (left saw) blade. Pretty much what I've been wanting....but can't afford.

I'll show my progress as I go,so y'all can tell me how retarded it is like my wife lol

2. phillipd

phillipd Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

columbus
    Nice. Have any need for an old, heavy duty 14" miter saw? I think it's a Hitachi. Needs a blade but runs fine. Cheap

3. Ellis93

Got one,could not pass it up......have never used it lol
    Looking for a radial arm tho

Jarhead5811 and phillipd like this.
  4. phillipd

columbus
    Don't have one of those, sorry

Jarhead5811 likes this.
  5. wllmkttrll

wllmkttrll Distinguished Poster

clinton
    Can't beat the old craftsman stuff

Jarhead5811 and Ellis93 like this.
  6. Southern Reloading

Southern Reloading Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

Rip fence looks familiar Ellis!! Kinda looks like the stretch limo's of table saws now!! Good job!!

phillipd, Jarhead5811 and Ellis93 like this.
  7. Ellis93

Yeah,that's off the saw I bought from you. It's going to be torn apart,cleaned/repaired and converted to 220. Used for straight edging some rough cut oak I have.

Jarhead5811 likes this.
  8. Ellis93

Yeah you can! Just not cheaply!

Honestly it's good stuff......least the old stuff is lol

maxhush, rigrat and Jarhead5811 like this.
  9. Leadburner

Leadburner Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

Cool, I like it. I think your on to something there. Ellis just throwing this out for your consideration while your working on your saw. Your shop reminds of my uncles shop. He's an old retired carpenter now & can't do much. When he set his shop up years ago, he put everything on casters & made everything the same height. He has a table similar to yours in the background. He can roll his table saw to the table or the table to the saw when he's ripping long material. He can roll his plainer to the table, his radial saw everything matches up perfectly. Everything he has works with that table. He's even got an old recliner on casters in there. It doesn't match up to the table though, it's for supervising the turkey frying at Christmas.

Anyways, I like the saw & the shop. Now get back to work. :D

22lrfan, JohnDeere, phillipd and 7 others like this.
  10. Southern Reloading

Southern Reloading Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

Hey Lead!! Us old carpenters all know them tricks!! There are tons of them that will make your life a lot easier in a shop setting. I never got to the recliner stag though!!

11. Ellis93

I like the caster idea,may try to do something like that in time. I just looked on Pinterest for plans for the homemade flip away wheel setups......

Leadburner and Jarhead5811 like this.
  12. ezgo

ezgo Distinguished Poster

Phillipd: I will buy the Hitachi when the targets are ready. :)

Jarhead5811 and phillipd like this.
  13. phillipd

columbus
    Cool. Remind me and I'll send pix when I can get them. Won't hold you to it on the saw if you don't like it

ezgo likes this.