Mississippi Gun Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of mine was given a Smith & Wesson .32 revolver, serial # 96877, while visiting his folks in Florida & asked if I had any idea what it was, about when it was made, ballpark value.... From pics he sent I suppose it is a Hand Ejector model & probably refinished (nickel plated?). I don't know & don't have any reference materials. If any of you S&W revolver afficianados can shed some light on it please let me know. Thanks.

photo (8).JPG
photo (2).JPG
photo (6).JPG

·
Premium Member
13,544 Posts
That appears to be a .32 Hand Ejector Model of 1903 4th Change Target Model. Should be 1910 manufacture. They were made with blued and nickel finishes. I would say that one has been refinished. The hammer and trigger were not nickeled on the factory nickel models.

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That appears to be a .32 Hand Ejector Model of 1903 4th Change Target Model. Should be 1910 manufacture. They were made with blued and nickel finishes. I would say that one has been refinished. The hammer and trigger were not nickeled on the factory nickel models.
Thanks very much!

·
Premium Member
1,502 Posts
Those grips look like they might be something special. Can't tell from the photo for sure, but if those are bone or ivory, they're probably worth more than the gun itself.

·
Registered
5,690 Posts
I believe 22lrfan is correct. For more info consult the Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson by Supica and Nahas. Or call Doug Bowser. The aforementioned book is available from booksellers online and I recommend it for any collector's / firearms enthusiast's library. It may well be in a well-stocked public library as well; if one is not planning on collecting S&W find it in a library and save the $50 or so.

·
Registered
5,690 Posts
I believe 22lrfan is correct. For more info consult the Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson by Supica and Nahas. Or call Doug Bowser. The aforementioned book is available from booksellers online and I recommend it for any collector's / firearms enthusiast's library. It may well be in a well-stocked public library as well; if one is not planning on collecting S&W find it in a library and save the $50 or so.
I'd like to add:
anyone seriously into collecting or just trolling for bargains, who wonders "is this thing special? Is this thing worth something?" should have a decent library of firearms reference books. I myself probably have 20 or more on various types, maybe 30, not in my office right now to count. Worth a lot more as "non-volatile reference material" (in other words, a book) as opposed to the internet...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts