Mississippi Gun Owners banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since my tomatoes will be in the same soil as last year I removed 4 inches of it. Went to the gin for cotton hull dirt and added it to the bed. Brought the tiller home and tilled the bed 3 times, going as deep as the tiller would go.
Been going to Sam's and getting the card stock from the pallets of paper products.
Monday I cut bamboo for 9 foot stakes. Laid the garden out for 12 plants. Got the stakes in the ground.
Tuesday I went to the greenhouse for 3 of each variety, wish I had more space. Stopped at Kroger, they had some hanging pots on clearance. I got 4 with marigolds and 5 with petunia. Regular price $12.99, some were $6.49 and some $1.99. The marigolds will be planted in the garden, suppose to help keep some insects away. They needed help, I carried all in both hands to the truck. I sat each in a bucket of rain water for 20 minutes. Hooked them to a lawn chair and let drip back into the bucket. Now each pot has some weight and the plants look better.
Wednesday I put the tomato plants in the ground. Measured and cut to fit 16 sheets of card stock. Laid brick on the sheets. The wind was suppose to get up a bit last night before the rain moved in. Card stock is all in place this morning in the rain.
I'll cut holes in the card stock for the marigolds to be planted. I'll mix leaf mulch, cotton hull dirt and sawdust/shavings to cover the card stock.

·
Just another day!
1,090 Posts
Dang, and I just stick mine in the same dirt year after year. I feel like a slacker now. Hope they turn out good for you though. That’s a lot of work there! The rain has washed my garden two times now. I’m about sick of replanting.

·
Registered
7,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I planted steakhouse tomatoes one year. They were huge, 1 slice was larger than a slice of bread. Saved seeds and planted on the same ground next year. Would take 2 tomatoes to make a sandwich. Planted some on new ground and they were huge. I started rotating the crops every 3 to 4 years back on the same area. They did better.

·
Just another day!
1,090 Posts
I’ve heard that. Gonna have to give it a try.

·
Premium Member
10,554 Posts
Since my tomatoes will be in the same soil as last year I removed 4 inches of it
Tried that before, tomatoes still contracted virus & died. For couple years, resorted to prepping spots in yard & planting in them. That works ok, unless you don't want plants in part of yard. i 99% use cattle molasses tubs now, can locate the rows of tubs wherever i want.

·
Registered
3,447 Posts
We've been eating peas for a couple weeks now from our raised beds. A few golfball sized maters' and on the vines. Lots of other stuff blooming and vining.

·
Registered
7,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Someone down the street tore out a deck, all stacked at the street. Looks like 2X8 or 10's pressure treated all cut to about 10 ft long. It's got some age to it but will work for what it need it for. Might as well get it instead of buying new.
My daughter has a spot for a flowerbed between the driveway and neighbor's backyard chain link fence. 18 foot long, 3 ft wide at the front, 5 foot wide at the rear. I've dug down 9" to find the concrete on the corner post. Removing lots of tree roots as I go, it's slow. Those boards will work great for a retainer wall against the fence.
I priced a 2X10X20 TP at the lumber yard Monday $89.

·
Premium Member
4,737 Posts
WOW ! You are a good gardener, Mesquite. What kind of peach tree you got ? I am trying a "Belle of Georgia", but it's real little now.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts