Mississippi Gun Owners banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright guys just looking to see if there is any interest in some chestnut trees for planting next February or March. I've got 7 mature trees that have about 10 years invested in them to get to this point. I've got 18 three year old and 7 a year old. So I finally feel like I'm where I want to be with them. To get them to the point of planting next spring I have to start picking them up now and probably first of October put them in in the refrigerator at 39* till February and then plant them in cups to bring them to the sapling stage. I hate to charge but I have a good bit of money and time invested. So I'm thinking about asking $10 a tree, which is much less than I paid for the trees that I started all this with. I picked up these today. First of the year. Just need to know if there is enough interest to fool with it or not. My deer will not be happy with my decision to do this so pray for my safety.:) 馃檹

LB

Plant Tree Natural landscape Agriculture Grass

Plant Food Terrestrial plant Chestnut Adaptation

Sky Plant Flower Pollinator Terrestrial plant

Green Plant Chestnut Botany Terrestrial plant

Food Ingredient Single-origin coffee Plant Chestnut

Eat Sleep Guns & Jeep
I guess I should have mentioned they recommend getting at least 3 with the logic being that at least one will be a male to pollinate the others. You can read more here. This is where I bought my original trees.

Ordering & Shipping 鈥 Chestnut Hill Outdoors
Was just looking there. To see the spacing recommendations. Not sure how much room I鈥檒l have exactly. May can get 3 in there, won鈥檛 know for sure till get my piles cleaned out, which hopefully will be soon just got to line him out to come look at it

Registered
How far south ie zone will they grow successfully? I am in SW MS only about 15 miles north of the border with that Louisianne country. Always trying to grow more hardwoods, nut producers, for the wildlife. But I'm afraid it's just too hot down here for some trees such as a chestnut.
Currently waiting on my 15-year old sawtooth oak to produce acorns - they are very large - and I grew it from an acorn. It has yet to produce them. If you want some acorns BTW go to McComb High School side parking lot, front right of school, the tree there produces a LOT of acorns and people come every fall to grab some. The school is at 310 7th street, you will see the enormous sawtooth aka "Turkish" oak tree in the parking lot to the front right side (as you face the school) of the school.

Eat Sleep Guns & Jeep
How far south ie zone will they grow successfully? I am in SW MS only about 15 miles north of the border with that Louisianne country. Always trying to grow more hardwoods, nut producers, for the wildlife. But I'm afraid it's just too hot down here for some trees such as a chestnut.
Currently waiting on my 15-year old sawtooth oak to produce acorns - they are very large - and I grew it from an acorn. It has yet to produce them. If you want some acorns BTW go to McComb High School side parking lot, front right of school, the tree there produces a LOT of acorns and people come every fall to grab some. The school is at 310 7th street, you will see the enormous sawtooth aka "Turkish" oak tree in the parking lot to the front right side (as you face the school) of the school.
If I鈥檓 not mistaken, if same type chestnut as I was looking at on the above website, it said all the way down to central Florida.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Let me throw this out there guys. Got a pm about my location. I'm in the sticks of Neshoba Co about 15 miles east of Philadelphia. Getting these distributed might become a burden for some as I won't be driving all over the state to deliver them. That for the most part will be on you. If you want to send me a self addressed envelope and say a dollar or two for postage and I will mail you some. Say 10 or so. A kind of pay it forward deal for the trees and the wildlife. There are plenty of videos out on how to hibernate these through the winter. I have had pretty good luck just using cheap plastic bowls and drilling small holes in the tops. Fill with pete moss put nuts in spaced a inch or two apart put in the refrigerator at around 39 degrees or there about. I will put them in sometime in October after a month and a half take them out and replace pete moss as mold can set in if you're not careful, don't ask me how I know. Sometime in January take them out. Drop them into a cup of water one at a time. If they sink to the bottom they're good if they float toss em. Out of 10 you can expect to lose 1 or 2. Put in cups of potting soil and keep watered. I try to keep in the sun light when possible bring them inside in cold or frost conditions. Plant March or April. You will have to protect them from the deer for a while cause they will nip the buds off. Other than that all you gotta do is watch them grow. Oh and I do fertilize mine twice a year.

LB

Registered
What kind of chestnut tree? I understand there are several kinds.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Let me throw this out there guys. Got a pm about my location. I'm in the sticks of Neshoba Co about 15 miles east of Philadelphia. Getting these distributed might become a burden for some as I won't be driving all over the state to deliver them. That for the most part will be on you. If you want to send me a self addressed envelope and say a dollar or two for postage and I will mail you some. Say 10 or so. A kind of pay it forward deal for the trees and the wildlife. There are plenty of videos out on how to hibernate these through the winter. I have had pretty good luck just using cheap plastic bowls and drilling small holes in the tops. Fill with pete moss put nuts in spaced a inch or two apart put in the refrigerator at around 39 degrees or there about. I will put them in sometime in October after a month and a half take them out and replace pete moss as mold can set in if you're not careful, don't ask me how I know. Sometime in January take them out. Drop them into a cup of water one at a time. If they sink to the bottom they're good if they float toss em. Out of 10 you can expect to lose 1 or 2. Put in cups of potting soil and keep watered. I try to keep in the sun light when possible bring them inside in cold or frost conditions. Plant March or April. You will have to protect them from the deer for a while cause they will nip the buds off. Other than that all you gotta do is watch them grow. Oh and I do fertilize mine twice a year.

LB
What about just selling people the nuts and let them take care of them over the Winter? That would save you work and people the expense of traveling. Say sell at $2-3 per nut with a 10 nut minimum. Just an idea.......

I'm willing to give the nuts to anyone willing to make the trip here or send an envelope with postage and I will mail them to you.

LB

Registered
I'm willing to give the nuts to anyone willing to make the trip here or send an envelope with postage and I will mail them to you.

LB
I'm assuming a padded envelope and how much postage, what size, etc. Please send a PM and all will be on the way to you!
PS In-laws live in Winston & Neshoba. Newt Knight descendants. We have a photo of my w*fe's grandma sitting on Newt's lap as a young girl.
Just so you know. Whichever side of the aisle you stand on. The family is divided to this day. We try not to bring it up at family gatherings. :rolleyes: Watch yourself up there. Some, uh, interesting people. Especially Noxapater.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts