Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Gen Miley - new service rifle comments

Discussion in 'Long Guns' started by GunnyGene, Jan 19, 2018.

1. GunnyGene

GunnyGene Distinguished Poster

Lot's of speculation about a new rifle for the military. Larger round, longer range, etc. Miley seems pretty upbeat about it. However, I have a question about what it will take to accomplish this.

The author of the below article says it would take 75k to 100k chamber pressures, which seems awful high to me, but I'm not an expert. So is this a reasonable comment/expectation or not?

Last edited: Jan 19, 2018
    Quickeye and Mesquite like this.
  2. Caleb C

Caleb C Distinguished Poster

Lake, MS
    It only took 30 years to debug the 5.56 NATO/M16 combo. What could go wrong?

3. nonnieselman

nonnieselman Nocturnal Specialties

They aren't going to be using a standard piece of brass that's for sure. Load one up over book value and you pop a primer out even with Staked primers.
    Kinda curious as to what they are planning. Its going to take a lot of metal to hold 100k PSI, and a lot of metal means more weight.
  4. ThatGuy

ThatGuy I could only pick one, extra money, or guns.

They probably won't replace the m4/m16 family of rifles any time soon.
  5. Maybe bring the M14 back? Why re-invent the wheel, unless some company has been promised some R&D bucks and big contract.

I think the combination of M4 main issue, M14 sharpshooter, and .30 and .50 cal sniper is hard to beat
    Quickeye likes this.
  6. ThatGuy

ThatGuy I could only pick one, extra money, or guns.

I'd say you were right. The m16 and its variants are probably the epitome of a modern fighting rifle. Every tactical rifle since Eugene Stoner invented the ar15 has just been trying to keep up.
    Quickeye likes this.