Mississippi Gun Owners banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
27,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any personal experience at one of these, good or bad? Testimonials?

This one is in the Dallas/Carrollton, TX area.

I know that Tom Givens used to be at/own Rangemaster in Memphis -- since closed -- but nothing more. I did not attend his TAC-CON when it was conducted in Memphis in 2016.

Tac-Con – Defensive Training for the Real World

[I recognize Givens & Givens' and Massad Ayoob's names but know nothing more … ]

Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
1,226 Posts
I went to all of Tom's pistol courses except the Level 5 before he closed his facility in Memphis. And one shotgun course. The indoor range facility was ok, but the thing that kept me going back was the lecture part of the classes, I always thought his classroom time and lectures were better than what you get at Gunsite, and I bet they still are.

I have been to one TacCon a few years ago in Arkansas, it was great. They do limit enrollment, I bet it's sold out for this spring. Lots of great classes but they do get crowded even with the enrollment limit. Tom's talk on active shooters was, I thought, worth the whole cost of the course the time I went. And it's really cool to spend some time listening to Massad Ayoob and other guys that you see in articles and videos. And you can get a chance to talk for a minute with Marty Hayes of the ACLDN. Highly worth going.

Nowadays, as you know, Tom and Lynn do their classes on the road, I have not been to one but I am sure they are very good.

Reactions: 7557

·
Premium Member
27,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I went to all of Tom's pistol courses except the Level 5 before he closed his facility in Memphis. And one shotgun course. The indoor range facility was ok, but the thing that kept me going back was the lecture part of the classes, I always thought his classroom time and lectures were better than what you get at Gunsite, and I bet they still are.

I have been to one TacCon a few years ago in Arkansas, it was great. They do limit enrollment, I bet it's sold out for this spring. Lots of great classes but they do get crowded even with the enrollment limit. Tom's talk on active shooters was, I thought, worth the whole cost of the course the time I went. And it's really cool to spend some time listening to Massad Ayoob and other guys that you see in articles and videos. And you can get a chance to talk for a minute with Marty Hayes of the ACLDN. Highly worth going.

Nowadays, as you know, Tom and Lynn do their classes on the road, I have not been to one but I am sure they are very good.
I shot at the Memphis Rangemaster location once, just after we moved to NW Mississippi before it closed. I took no classes there though.

TAC-CON seems to be offered closer and be MUCH less expensive than either Gunsite or Front Sight Training Institute courses.

·
Registered
17 Posts
TacCon 2020 is sold out as of a week or so ago.

I attended my first one in 2014 and have been a presenter each year since then. I’m scheduled for a classroom presentation this year as well as three live fire blocks.

In 2017, the inaugural Northwest TacCon was held at the Firearms Academy of Seattle. It is an every other year event and will be held this year with many of the same presenters as the annual TacCon. There are still slots available for it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts