close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

'Go-cup' bill awaiting governor's signature

Discussion in 'Press Talk' started by sand_man, Apr 22, 2016.

1. GunnyGene

GunnyGene Distinguished Poster

Hmm. This would seem to potentially create another "Gun Free Zone" and/or expand existing ones. Are we sure we want to do that?

2. 94LEVERFAN

94LEVERFAN Distinguished Poster

Enhanced, people, Enhanced. You are then exempt from that prohibition.

3. GunnyGene

So if I am exercising my right to carry concealed per HB786 (no permit), and happen to wander into one of these "go cup" zones and without partaking of any adult beverages, I'd be breaking the law. How nice. :groan: . Either that or pay the baksheesh to obtain a Enhanced permit just to go shopping in such a zone. :mad:

4. bubbat

bubbat Gate Keeper to my corner of Hell

Clinton
    This would just make zones where it would legal to carry drink down the street right, like from one bar to another? Not making it legal for a bar or restaurant to sell alcohol or beer on the street? If they ain't selling, don't see how they can prohibit carry since the law says licensed to dispense alcoholic beverages for consumption on the premises, Street is not their premises.

mascott, Megiddo and Jarhead5811 like this.
  5. GunnyGene

I only quoted one portion of the section that pertains: Here's the rest of it, with my bolding.
    So under the Go-cup bill, the City of Tupelo (specifically mentioned in the bill) could designate the entire city as a Leisure and Recreation zone; which means the Mayor, etc. would be the "entity exercising control over the physical location", correct?

Also see Section 95-3-1 (place of nuisance): 2013 Mississippi Code :: Title 95 - TORTS :: Chapter 3 - NUISANCES :: § 95-3-1 - Definitions of terms

6. bubbat

bubbat Gate Keeper to my corner of Hell

Clinton
    I guess they could but seriously doubt they would declare the whole city a leisure and recreation zone, that's a little far fetched.

7. GunnyGene

Probably true, but stranger things have happened. Suppose it was just the Barnes Crossing Mall? Would this designation override existing zoning temporarily or permanently (both options are open per the bill)? There's a lot not to trust in this bill.

mascott likes this.
  8. 94LEVERFAN

94LEVERFAN Distinguished Poster

Y'all do what you want to, but I have had the enhanced permit soon after it was available. I don't really like buying a hunting or driver license, but it is a lot less trouble than the alternative. I TRY to keep my nose clean, doesn't always happen, but I make an effort. $80 or so every 5 years, its damn cheap insurance.