Going......old school

Discussion in '"Boolit" Casting' started by Ellis93, Mar 26, 2018.

1. Ellis93

Ellis93 Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

And I don't care for it lol
    Yucky nasty greasy lube.....and a gas check. Bought this 450 Lyman lube sizer a few weeks ago and have spent quite a few dollars gathering up dies and top punches. Actually spending more for them (used) than I spent on the whole sizer itself (used as well).
    So far I have dies for
    .457(came with sizer)
    And a few top punches.

Lube is another issue as well. I bought some Lyman orange magic initially but have read on castboolits where others used the red rooster and various others for all sorts of applications. I intend to use these others as well,for now I will use up the orange.....trying it to is full potential.
    So far I've lubed a few 300gn 45 colt projectiles and around 50 or so .338.
    Besides the nasty lube.......I have to say that this thing seats a gas check way better than the Lee sizers. Not as fast but very effective. Where the Lee tool will sometimes drag a side of the check off and ruin the projectile,the Lyman seats them 100% of the time. Just don't use the wrong top punch or the nose of your bullet will be screwed up. I have ruined more than a few......they'll be recycled lol
    The sizer I've purchased
    IMG_4522.JPG
    The 300gn colt projectile....notice the ring at the top. Yep...wrong top punch,haven't found the right one yet.....yet!
    IMG_4524.JPG
    .338 projectile
    IMG_4520.JPG
    My collection thus far.....heating the sizer with a bottle torch is not ideal. Works tho lol
    IMG_4521.JPG

The next thing I'm going to attempt is to build a heater for it. Yes,I know I could purchase one....for 75$. Or.....I could just build one.
    So far my parts I've gathered is a cord from an old DVD player and this little feller
    IMG_4523.JPG
    This is a thermostat for an RV water heater. 110v unit,130*f
    Next thing is a ceramic heating element from china. I'm still waiting on it but here's a pic from the listing on eBay.
    IMG_4525.PNG
    Now that little thing is supposed to regulate its temp to 130*c that's 266*f......much too hot
    The idea is to set it on a thick piece of plate,and to have the purchased thermostat to regulate temp by having it touching the front base of the sizer body,by the lube cylinder.
    I'm thinking of finding a magnet to epoxy the thermo inside of and have it movable till I find the perfect distance away from the element for the heat to remain consistent. Clear as mud?
    Might seem like a lot to do just to avoid 75$ but.....if it works I'll have 20$ in it lol
    I'll have a grand total of 133$ in all of it. Not too bad considering what a new 4500 cost ;)

2. RedneckRob

RedneckRob Distinguished Poster

You know a 100 watt light works just as good plus you get extra light to see by. Got that from C. Boolets.

3. Ellis93

I seen that,I just think I'd go blind looking at that. Most all of my stuff is done at night so I already have enough light.
    One other thing i found was to use a clothes iron. Set it on the plate and adjust it to whatever temp is suitable.

maxhush, Shrek and 22lrfan like this.
  4. Finn 39

Finn 39 Distinguished Poster

I use a heat gun to warm my 450.

Shrek likes this.
  5. SubGunFan

SubGunFan Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

Jackson
    Take a rag and wipe the lube off the gas checks. I do this when I removed the lubed bullet from the sizer.

maxhush, Ellis93 and Shrek like this.
  6. Ellis93

Got my heating element!
    IMG_4526.JPG
    Time to tinker.

It's tiny so I may not have to make anything,just make it stick to the tool. :hmm:

Shrek, maxhush and rigrat like this.
  7. Ellis93

Plan on it.....other than cleanliness,what's your reasons for it?

Shrek likes this.
  8. SubGunFan

Jackson
    No powder touching lube.

Shrek, rigrat and Ellis93 like this.
  9. Ellis93

No burn, I'd guess.

Shrek and rigrat like this.
  10. Ellis93

Failure number one.
    Put it all together,electrically it worked fine.....didn't work long enough to see if the thermostat works out before the foil tape I had holding the element to the body decided to give up.
    The element......that little bastard gets hot....FAST! Burnt my poor little pidders lol
    Pics
    IMG_4527.JPG IMG_4528.JPG IMG_4529.JPG
    The foil tape actually held till I covered it with some foam to try to insulate it,trying to direct the heat toward the sizer body. That's when the foil turned loose lol

cottonmouth, Shrek, SubGunFan and 2 others like this.
  11. RedneckRob

Hose clamp maybe ?

Shrek and Ellis93 like this.
  12. Ellis93

Thought about that but decided to go another direction.......below like the Lyman heater is. Only I had no heat sink material here at the house. All my odds and ends metal is at the shop,23miles away. So I did the next best thing. Continued on next post.

RedneckRob and Shrek like this.
  13. Ellis93

So.....I sucked hind tit on my first attempt and I went back to brainstorming. What I came up with was to go below the sizer body like the Lyman heater does. I didn't initially want to do this but I also wanted the heat to at least go into the sizer body,no wasted heat to atmosphere.
    I had nothing on hand to use for a heat sink,nor anything to mount to the table and hold the lube sizer. :hmm:
    I kind thought I had hit a

:deadend:
    Till I looked down under my casting bench and seen the stack of lead! There's my dang heat sink material! The ideas just flooded to me then. What I settled on was to take the cherry wood I had my sizer mounted on now,and use a router to cut out a chamber and valley to pour lead into (spoon it into actually),and build a heat sink within. So I got to it.
    IMG_4530.JPG
    Yes the router got away from me some on the left side,but it worked out. That board is 2" thick and there's about 1/2 thick floor of lead in that hole that is 1" deep. The sides are less than 1/4". I figured that was good enough.....I'm not manufacturing these for money lol
    Next I mounted my thermostat
    IMG_4531.JPG
    Then the lube sizer wired up
    IMG_4532.JPG
    IMG_4533.JPG
    Went and mounted it back to my table and plugged it in then waited for about 15 minutes
    IMG_4534.JPG
    Shazam! Easy peazy.
    As I sat there sizing these .452 300gn projectiles,I could hear the thermostat clicking on and off and thought about having a visual reference as well. Got to thinking about a light and thought about looking for some sort of led off of eBay. Then remembered that I had a one room electric heater go belly up on me this last winter and went to retrieve it from my scrap pile. Yes I hang onto some stuff.....for cords and such,my wife says I have "issues"......I have no idea what she's talking about lol
    Bam....visual reference on
    IMG_4535.JPG

Off
    IMG_4536.JPG
    Can't beat that! Lol

14. SubGunFan

Jackson
    Ellis....................................... You still Da'Man.

My Lyman 4500 with built in heater doesn't have a thermostat. You have to unplug and plug in at intervals to maintain proper heat. PITA......

RedneckRob, Shrek and Ellis93 like this.
  15. Ellis93

Look for an 110v rv water heater thermostat. It's what I have here,works so far. I'll know if it'll hold up this weekend. I'm casting and sizing as many 220gn 309 projectiles as I can stand lol

RedneckRob, 22lrfan and Shrek like this.
  16. Ellis93

Update!
    Let it set plugged in for about an hour tonight.....never got more than warm to the touch. Worked like a champ too. No real pressure on the screw and I was filling the grease groves up without gaps.
    Can't beat it!

RedneckRob, phillipd and SubGunFan like this.
  17. RedneckRob

Truly inspirational ! This ought to be a sticky.