Mississippi Gun Owners banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Curmudgeon extraordinaire
8,084 Posts
I know of no one in the Hattiesburg/Laurel area.
Amazing!

Reactions: rigrat and Cliff731

·
Premium Member
Let's go shoot some, we dont want to wound anything.
6,330 Posts
I heard of an older gentleman down that way a few years back, that has been at least 6 years ago. I think he was in Waynesboro. But we have lost several up this way in the last 10 years or so.

Reactions: rigrat

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Vance Moore
Whynot Firearms & Gunsmith
Meridian, MS
601-644-3222
WORTH THE DRIVE!
I'll keep him in mind next time. After someone gave me a quote to do this job I decided to backup and punt. I sold the non threaded gun and bought a new one with threaded barrel. I did good.

·
Danged ole' Hermit...
13,732 Posts
I know of no one in the Hattiesburg/Laurel area.
Amazing!
Patchz would tell us about the late Jim Myers of Laurel, who could have easily done this job.

@patchz

·
Danged ole' Hermit...
13,732 Posts
Patchz would tell us about the late Jim Myers of Laurel, who could have easily done this job.

@patchz
Heavens to Betsy... I might have erred here. According to Patchz, ol' Jim was pretty doggone persnickety and wouldn't have touched this job unless he happened to like the gun owner... and only then if it didn't hare lip any cows in Texas... o_O :eek:

:hmm:

Reactions: 4x4moses

·
MSGO Court Jester
40,709 Posts
Heavens to Betsy... I might have erred here. According to Patchz, ol' Jim was pretty doggone persnickety and wouldn't have touched this job unless he happened to like the gun owner... and only then if it didn't hare lip any cows in Texas... o_O :eek:

:hmm:
Actually, Jim was in business for himself as a machinist. He worked on a few guns for friends and the occasional walk in, if he deemed that individual to be a decent and honest person. He didn't put up with BS and didn't suffer fools. But he was not in the actual business of working on guns and when he did, the "price" was often a can of coffee or some cookies or doughnuts for the shop to be shared by him and his friends, depending on the complexity of the work. I think the most I ever actually paid him in cast was $15. But if you walked in with the right attitude and weren't asking for anything illegal or dishonest, he would probably do it for you.

He was the most well read, and widely knowledgeable individual I ever had the pleasure to call friend. His "friends" ran from cops to neurosurgeons to common laborers. And when you visited the conversation, if he wasn't too busy, would usually involve guns, reloading, or the Bible.

·
μολὼν λαβέ
37,737 Posts
I heard of an older gentleman down that way a few years back, that has been at least 6 years ago. I think he was in Waynesboro. But we have lost several up this way in the last 10 years or so.
I used to see a sign up at a house advertising gunsmith work down on Camp 8 road south of Waynesboro and north or Richton. Don't know if he is still there, if any good, or actually anything about him. Seems like many, many moons ago there was one other one somewhere around here but can't remember for sure.
Sum Gy or Pony Express Sum Gy, I just don't think you'll be sorry you used him. Word of caution though if you go in person have something for Tubby the beast to eat other than yourself, and mind your fingers, LOL.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts