close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Got the "deer rifle" sighted in.

Discussion in 'Firearms Gallery' started by Joe S., Oct 7, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Mesquite

Mesquite Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

Actually, I believe the second Primitive weapon season, You can use weapon of choice ,if on private / club lands.

granjack likes this.
  2. granjack

granjack Distinguished Poster

Vicksburg
    Yes, that's true...and I do use my Contender then (as well as during the regular gun season)...but I was thinking of including handguns in the first season as well.

Mesquite likes this.

3. Mesquite

You know, I think you cam check back on that ,single shot hammer rifles 45//70 allowed aren't they, same criteria. Humm :hmm:

granjack likes this.
  4. granjack

Vicksburg
    Not a whole lot of difference between my .44mag Contender rifle (23 inch barrel) and pistol (14 inch barrel) as a "primitive weapon" is there? Except one is legal and the other isn't.

rigrat likes this.
  5. 93bronco

93bronco Active Member

Great Idea Grandjack if restricted to single shot/single action wheel gun might get some commissioners to listen,not saying autos are any easier to make a kill with. Just staying within "primitive" guide lines.what yall think?

granjack and Mesquite like this.
  6. 93bronco

93bronco Active Member

Ats right, I find handgun hunting very close to bow Maybe some exposer with MS. Outdoors might shed some light on this part of our sport

granjack and Mesquite like this.
  7. Mesquite

MDWFP has their Live talk show on SuperTalk on Thursday @ 6. Call in get live feed back.

granjack likes this.
  8. Joe S.

Joe S. Distinguished Poster

Clinton
    Why cant you use a 35 or larger caliber, break action, hammered, single shot handgun? Does it say that a pistol like that isnt allowed? I would think a 44 mag Contender pistol would be legal.

granjack likes this.
  9. granjack

Vicksburg
    Primitive weapons are defined as "...rifles of at least .38 caliber or single shot...cartridge rifles (.35 caliber...). Law specified rifles.

EDIT: See Page 18 of MDWFP Outdoor Digest.

10. Joe S.

Clinton
    I believe you. Was just curious.

Mesquite likes this.
  11. granjack

Vicksburg
    Didn't mean to come off harsh there, Joe..sorry if I did. Just verifying :D

12. Joe S.

Clinton
    Naw! Didn't take it that way at all!

Mesquite likes this.
  13. Mesquite

Put the butt stock extender for Contender on " RIFLE ":D.

granjack likes this.
  14. DEADEYE 1

DEADEYE 1 Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

I was browsing around on some Northern States, and even some of them have a special season. I have forgotten which one that it was, it surprised me. I was once an avid bow-hunter and I have to say that it takes as much concentration on making a good shot with a 6 inch or 8 inch revolver as with a compound. I would think the same comparison between a crossbow and a Contender,a Savage or Pro Hunter handgun with scope. You could have more range in the open but it would be pretty equal in the woods.I believe the support would be out there especially since handgun ownership has exploded in recent years.
    I would write the law, 357 and larger caliber for deer with the exception of a centerfire rifle bullet used in rifles or newer technology handguns with12-15 inch barrels. Antlerless deer or Bucks greater than 4 points. They want more hunters, that ought to add a certain percentage.

15. granjack

Vicksburg
    The simplest change to the existing law would be to add the words " and handguns" after "rifles". That would make the single shot Contenders and similar pistols legal. Would also be the least controversial, IMHO. There was some reason MDWFP only considered single shot type pistols as primitive. I say, shoot what ya got!