Mississippi Gun Owners banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Nocturnal Specialties
7,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday we went blasting at a friends house like we normally do on weekends.
Out comes a Barrett .50BMG, After my first shot im hooked for life now. I gotta have one for some deer blasting this summer on the farm.

From the Horrific noise it made i was expecting some nasty recoil. I was scared to death until the concussion hit me. The recoil was tame and the blast was horrendous. Now i just have got to have one..

It was this baby:

·
Nocturnal Specialties
7,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i want to stretch it out to a 1000 or so.. Man it was so much fun, but we only shot it at 75 yards. He was having problems with his scope. It wouldnt keep zero.

·
Registered
12,592 Posts
Jonathan, your deer hunting in the summer is that the permit thingie for saving the crops or something like that?

I want to shoot the 50BMG also.

·
Nocturnal Specialties
7,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
dhollis51 said:
Jonathan, your deer hunting in the summer is that the permit thingie for saving the crops or something like that?

I want to shoot the 50BMG also.
Yea my buddy has a cotton/corn farm and they get the permit sometimes and we go to blasting them. The deer and other critters eat the corn so bad they have to replant certain areas.
We shoot them even if they dont get the permit tho. Game wardens use to come out and help.

·
Registered
12,592 Posts
so do you just leave them there or can you take the meat? I have heard about this and someone told me that you haed to leave them there and could not take the meat? Hope you only shoot the does and leave the big boys :thumbup:

·
Nocturnal Specialties
7,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
When you blast about 25-30 a night you dont have any choice but to leave them. Being that warm i wouldnt want to fight the ticks and lil critters tryin to clean them unless times get hard. We do leave the decent bucks alone, thats what the shot gun is for. Send a few loads of #8 their way and they leave in a hurry.

·
Premium Member
21,644 Posts
Yea -- I, too, have the 50BMG bug!! Sure hope I can get rid of the bug .... will have to part with several of my other toys to make it happen .. however, I did my my Garand bayonet collection down the other day and inventoried. While I was doing that I was thinking that if I liquidated it a Barrett could be in my future ... :thinking:

·
Registered
860 Posts
dhollis51 said:
so do you just leave them there or can you take the meat? I have heard about this and someone told me that you haed to leave them there and could not take the meat? Hope you only shoot the does and leave the big boys :thumbup:
The question on my mind is: Is there even any meat to take when you shoot a deer with a 50BMG? or is it just deer jello?

I will not shoot a 50BMG cause they cost 4k and if I shoot one and get hooked...

·
Registered
679 Posts
Ok, don't click here if high pressure mists and flying debris might make you hurl. This video has been on youtube for years.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ejk0JhR5XU

... no I don't see much deer being left. After this video, I'm not even going to try it. However there are some vids on youtube of deer being shot with a 50 that did not disintegrate. I think it depends on the type of bullet used.

·
Premium Member
21,644 Posts
WOW! is about all I can say!

·
Registered
6,622 Posts
captain-03 said:
Yea -- I, too, have the 50BMG bug!! Sure hope I can get rid of the bug .... will have to part with several of my other toys to make it happen .. however, I did my my Garand bayonet collection down the other day and inventoried. While I was doing that I was thinking that if I liquidated it a Barrett could be in my future ... :thinking:
Captain, you ever part with one of them Garands, make sure you call shorty, I'll talk turkey with ya. I did love shooting that one 50 out at 'Neck's at the 1st M&G though. I'd love to get one too but that ammo really gets up there.

·
Registered
5,231 Posts
I want to ask all of you, where can you shoot one in the Southeast, where it would be safe. The rifles can only be safely used with an impact area of 3 miles. There was a woman shot with a .50 BMG round in Texas. It was a spent round and it nearly tore her arm off. We need to think of safety, when we use our firearms.

Doug

·
Nocturnal Specialties
7,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
There are certain areas that it cant be shot at the farm, but there are alot of areas it can be shot. An the edges of the tree line are large hills. The farm is in a bottom.

Thats one of the cons of the sweet rifle, got to have a slow down area for the boolit. :mg:

·
Registered
5,208 Posts
I would like to shoot one. :gun:

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
The place Johnathan is talking about is perfect for the BMG. If you set up in one place you will be shooting into uninhabited hills. Some times people make the BMG out to completely destroy a target. That is the case with the right ammo. If you are shooting FMJ at close range all you see is a hole going in and a hole the same size going out. I shot a stump with mine at close range and it didnt even mushroom the projectile. With ammo other than FMJ it will make a heck of a mess.

·
Registered
651 Posts
We were shooting one day and a guy drug out his 50bmg and let us shoot it. At $5 per pop I thought it was very generous of him. Was fun to shoot and shocking at how nice the recoil was. I think it is so cool the way the dust flies out from around the muzzle when it fires. We had a hunter on a WY deer/antelope trip take a doe with his at 850yds.

Jerrad's Whitetail Doe. Taken @ 850yds, With His Barrett 99 .50cal BMG

·
Registered
22 Posts
I recently got to shoot a AR-50 myself, I'm hooked :gun: Now I just need to stumble across 6,000 dollars and buy that EDM Windrunner I've been eyeing lol.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts