Mississippi Gun Owners banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Rational Anarchist
15,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got an iPhone 4 shortly after it came out. On it I had an app that allowed me to mark a deer stand & then use what was essentially a compass screen to find it. It worked so good I stopped using my GPS.

In the last ten years I’ve mostly ceased going out before daylight & only hunt a handful of stands. So, when I found occasion to use that app I once had I was disappointed to be unable to find it.

Are there any non-subscription apps that ya’ll would recommend to mark locations in the woods, not near a trail, & easily find them? I simply will not get enough use from one to pay a subscription but I sure don’t mind buying an app that works.

·
Registered
15,716 Posts
I’ve been using HuntStand all season. It’s pretty good so far. I have Cspire, so ZERO signal at my camp and it loads the map, locations, wind data, etc no problem.

I downloaded OnX Hunt too, but I haven’t played with it enough to figure it out. HuntStand seems more user friendly. OnX Off-road seems better, but that’s a completely different use.

·
Rational Anarchist
15,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Drop a pin on Google maps
I did that but using it to find the stand before dark it’s a PIA. It tells me to walk to the road, down the road & over to the stand & doesn’t have a method to guide to the stand. It’s better than nothing but a far cry from the app I once had.

·
Rational Anarchist
15,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Okay, so I’ve downloaded onX Hunt, HuntWise & HuntStand. I’ll see how they work & get back to ya’ll.

I didn’t try Antler Insanity because it’s reviews were bad.

·
Registered
15,716 Posts
I did that but using it to find the stand before dark it’s a PIA. It tells me to walk to the road, down the road & over to the stand & doesn’t have a method to guide to the stand. It’s better than nothing but a far cry from the app I once had.
I haven’t used it yet, but I believe on HuntStand you can trace a route. How well it works I don’t know. Next year, I’m going to do a lot more homework, so I’ll be using more of those features. I wasn’t sure how much I’d enjoy it, so I didn’t put in the time pre-season to learn the property like I should have.

·
Registered
12,937 Posts
I just look at at where a pin is compared to where I am instead of getting directions. But I do prefer my Garmin eTrex.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Me and a couple other members used MotionX-GPS to map out camp trails and stands. But we had a hard time combining it all so after doing a lot of research I used CalTopo online to combine all the trails, sections and stands into one file and then downloaded the entire map back to MotionX-GPS. Then CalTopo created an app so now I use it. My camp is rather large and we have a lot trails and stand so I spent several hours over a period of a few weeks to make the map from all the tracks and waypoints, but what I ended up with is pretty nice. I overlayed all the boundaries and sections with topography. And all of that works in my phone gps.

·
Just another day!
1,331 Posts
I haven’t used it yet, but I believe on HuntStand you can trace a route.
You can and it works pretty well.

HuntStand also has property info. Boundaries, ownership etc. It's useful when hunting public land surrounded by private land.

You can download or save areas in the app as well. It will function whether you have service or not in that area once downloaded.

Upgrading to the pro is worth the money if you use it a good bit or really depend on it as your main nav tool. It opens a lot of features that are otherwise unavailable.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts