Gripe with CRKT Knifes

Discussion in 'Blades' started by Evil Zim, Mar 18, 2018.

1. Evil Zim

Evil Zim Distinguished Poster

i bought a knife from CRKT that came with a belt clip that could be bolted onto the kydex sheath either vertically or horizontally. To set it up the way I wanted, I needed two such belt clips and contacted the company asking how I could “buy” another clip. Despite making it clear I was completely willing to send actual money (or credit card) to buy this piece of plastic, they very nicely refused, saying they could only send me one if I claimed one had been missing from my original purchase. This seemed idiotic from a purportedly for- profit company. I like the knife but this has completely turned me off to the company.

Mesquite and Cliff731 like this.
  2. Cliff731

Cliff731 Danged ole' Hermit...

That's odd to say the least... one might think they were encouraging you to fabricate a "falsehood" here. o_O

But in reality, the more likely deal is this - CRKT's "parts department" has no "mechanism" for the selling of parts... i.e. - it's not set up to take a c.c. or otherwise funded payment. This part of that company only exist to furnish replacement broken or defective parts at no cost... free to the customer.

So, hence their customer service rep's suggestion to you... which I think was a subtle "hint"... ;)

"...they could only send me one if I claimed one had been missing from my original purchase"!

3. TwangBanger

TwangBanger Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

Columbia River Knife & Tool (CRKT) was started in 1994, but didn't really "hit the big-time" until 1997 when the Ed Halligan-designed "K.I.S.S." knife (Keep It Super Simple) debuted at the SHOT Show that year. In fact, in knife circles, CRKT is known as "The House That Ed Built". His KISS knife design sold like wildfire, and really put CRKT "on the map". It's been noted as one of the best-selling knives of all time.

Ed and his wife, Ann lived down here on the Gulf Coast in Ocean Springs, MS. Ed passed away in November of 2014. At the time, I was working at the Guitar Shed on Keesler Air Force Base and teaching guitar lessons. Ed's widow, Ann was looking for something to occupy her time, and help keep her mind off grieving Ed's passing, so she (a retired US Army nurse) signed up for guitar lessons with me. She's a very sweet lady, and I enjoyed my time with her very much. She told me that Ed first sketched out the design for the KISS knife on a cocktail napkin while drinking a Scotch onboard a cross-country flight.

When the Guitar Shed's owner died, we closed down the shop at Keesler. Ann gifted me with a first-year production model of the KISS knife. She signed the box, "To a real "sharp" guy - Ann Halligan".

IMG_20180330_085208907.jpg

4. Cliff731

TwangBanger... that is truly a great story... and thank you for sharing it with us!!! :)

I must have buy one of those CRKT "K.I.S.S." knives... :101010:

K.I.S.S.®

5. TwangBanger

***edited to add that Ann told me Ed first sketched out the design for the KISS knife on a cocktail napkin while drinking a Scotch onboard a cross-country flight.

6. Cliff731

TwangBanger... Ed's "K.I.S.S." design and knife was certainly and no doubt Gerber's "inspiration" for their small Ridge folding knife...

Gerber Ridge - Folding - Black Serrated Edge Knife | Gerber Gear

As they say, "imitation is the sincerest form of flattery"... and this particular Gerber is a very nice and well made knife too. BTW, I have one... :)

[​IMG]

Jarhead5811 likes this.
  7. Cliff731

Got 'r done!!! ;)

From Amazon... and ought to arrive soon... :cool:

TwangBanger and Jarhead5811 like this.
  8. Rusty C

Rusty C Distinguished Poster

Isola
    Bought one at a gun show in Jackson years ago carry it from time to time

9. CajunBP

CajunBP Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

It's funny how you learn about people by chance. The predecessor to the Streamlight was the Kel-Light. I had one with a bad switch, I wasn't the original owner, but it meant a lot to me. By chance I met an older guy that knew Mr. Kellerman and he gave me his e-mail and phone number. I called Mr. Kellerman, who lives in California. He said he thought he had one switch left in his garage and he mailed it to me. We e-mailed back and forth a few times after that. He is an interesting guy. He told me about Streamlight buying him out. Sort of off track, but your story reminded me of this one.

Henry Bowman, para40, oldguns and 5 others like this.
  10. Nice story!

para40, TwangBanger and Cliff731 like this.
  11. HerrZnk

HerrZnk Distinguished Poster

Very cool and certainly a treasure to any knife aficionado!

12. Tonto 40

Tonto 40 Member

A gift, in any form, is VG in its self, but from a person who was the Inventor or a Family member of, is wonderful and when given to a friend, new or old, is Outstanding from the heart.

para40, HerrZnk, 22lrfan and 2 others like this.
  13. Cliff731

I received my CRKT K.I.S.S. (finally) this morning when my friendly UPS driver stopped by with it... shown alongside my trusty (and somewhat "copycat" design) similar Gerber Ridge knife... with some other items in the photo for size comparison... :)

upload_2018-4-11_13-30-13.jpeg

oldguns and TwangBanger like this.
  14. Cliff731

I liked that Ed Halligan designed K.I.S.S. knife so much that I turned right around and ordered one with a partially serrated blade... looks like this one... :)

[​IMG]

TwangBanger likes this.
  15. Rusty C

Rusty C Distinguished Poster

Isola
    I have the serrated blade really want one in the regular blade

Cliff731 likes this.
  16. Cliff731

17. DEADEYE 1

DEADEYE 1 Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

I have never had any problems with CRKT knives. But I admit that with anything mechanical problems can arise. My Son had a collection of CRKT knives before myself.A friend that would frequent pawn shops once came by and needed money at Christmas time a few years back. He had around 20 knives best I remember, some needed cleaning. I bought the complete collection for 40 something dollars. I gave a couple away as presents but have been happy with the knives, mostly CRKT THAT i BOUGHT FOR A COUPLE DOLLARS A PIECE.

Cliff731 and HerrZnk like this.
  18. TwangBanger

I don't carry the one that was gifted to me by Ann Halligan. It shall remain a keepsake, and as such, I'd hate to booger it up while using it.

I purchased the smaller KISS PECK (Precision Engineered Compact Knife) to carry. It weighs less than 1 ounce and is razor sharp. I use it as a money clip sometimes (when I actually HAVE money).

It's pictured here next to the standard KISS knife. I included .40 S&W, .45 ACP and .357 Mag rounds for size comparisons. Also, included is another CRKT knife, the now discontinued Vertex, with drop-point blade & Micarta scales. A really nice knife that I hated to see get shelved.
    IMG_20180412_163632580.jpg

Cliff731 and CajunBP like this.
  19. HerrZnk

HerrZnk Distinguished Poster

I have a PECK that I kept in my GHB for years and it rusted shut due to the temperature fluctuations of being in my car for so long. I'll have to dig it out now and see if I can get it functioning again, pretty sure I didn't throw it out...

Cliff731 likes this.
  20. Jeff700

Jeff700 Distinguished Poster

North MS
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2018
    Cliff731, TwangBanger and para40 like this.