Gun cleaning

Discussion in 'Optics and Accessories' started by Hammer, May 17, 2009.

1. Hammer

Hammer Distinguished Poster

I was a bit restless this morning, so I decided to clean a few guns. I got out my 1903A3, M1 Carbine, and Mrs. Hammers Rem 1100. The '03A3 and carbine were not that bad, but the 1100 was terrible. I used my Gunzilla on all of them, and it worked great. It ate up the powder residue and carbon deposits. The Copperzilla made the rifle bores shine.
    I got to do my 308, and Marlin 22.

What cleaning tools do yall use? What kind of cleaning kits, what brands?

LearCo likes this.
  2. Beladran

Beladran Moderator Staff Member

Madison
    I dont really stick to just one brand. I have my bronze brushes and patch holders. I have a couple bore snakes. As far as cleaning chemicals I use gunzilla copperzilla hopes #9 copper out by Klenz and some foaming bore scruber by birchwood casey. I fallow it all up with either hopes benchrest or Remoil

LeansVeryRight2016 and LearCo like this.

3. encoreman

encoreman Distinguished Poster

Hey James, Don't put remoil down a rifled bore. That stuff has teflon and it will mess up a good shooter. Did that to my '06 and it took awhile to get it shooting again. FYI

maxhush and LearCo like this.
  4. sarkas

sarkas Full Poster

I use Hoppes 9 solvent and Rem Oil. Hmmm, I wasn't aware of Rem Oil having a teflon additive and that it could affect the bore.

LearCo likes this.
  5. sidroski

sidroski Distinguished Poster

I was using remoil after Hoppe's #9 on the bore and after cleaning that out, I'd run a light patch of remoil down it. What should I do? Used to do the 3M oil a long time ago.

LeansVeryRight2016 and LearCo like this.
  6. GunOneDown

GunOneDown Distinguished Poster

I use a whole array of stuff and have been picking up cleaning stuff for years. I like bronze brushes mostly, but have some nylon (i think) that do good as well. Boresnakes work for quick cleaning.

LearCo likes this.
  7. msredneck

msredneck Distinguished Poster

Kroil is a good "after cleaning" product...Think the benchrest shooters actually clean their guns with it....No problems for me...

Gotta get some of this Gunzilla stuff

8. encoreman

encoreman Distinguished Poster

Hey guys I just know what happened to me. My Rem 700 '06 started grouping like a shotgun, literally all over the target. I almost got rid of this gun, then my sporting goods store guy asked me how I cleaned it and when I mentioned using a wet patch of Remoil down the bore, he cringed. Told me to get the Hoppes 9 and clean it real good, dry patch it, shoot 10-15 rounds and then shoot for a group, it was amazing. Since I have cleaned with sweet 7.62 once or twice to get the copper out, gun shoots better than ever, still not a tack driver, but the deer can't really tell the difference.

Blondie70, maxhush and LearCo like this.
  9. Big Ric

Big Ric Distinguished Poster

just don't get it on your finish.

LearCo likes this.
  10. Big Ric

Big Ric Distinguished Poster

there is a product out that we used in the military called Break Free.

11. LearCo

LearCo Distinguished Poster

I prefer hopes#9 and OMC=[Evinrude]BRP 6N1 better than most not $$$. I started using it in a pinch now goto for cleaning and protection.

BasMstr and Mesquite like this.
  12. nonnieselman

nonnieselman Nocturnal Specialties

Digging up old threads i see

13. Oldbuzzard

Oldbuzzard Distinguished Poster

Shooters Choice solvent, Kroil, and Montana Extreme cleaning rods, with chamber guides to keep gunk out of action. Sweets 7.62 copper solvent

14. oO_Rogue_Oo

oO_Rogue_Oo Distinguished Poster

Non chlorinated brake cleaner for cleaning and SumGy magic for lube (used to be BreakFree but switched when something better came along)

15. Gene Fariss

Gene Fariss Distinguished Poster

Bore kleen copper remover and bore kleen carbon remover

phillipd likes this.
  16. phillipd

phillipd Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

columbus
    Kroil oil first then shooter's choice bore clean til patches are clean the Sum Gy lube. Yes I know its an old thread.

17. TwangBanger

TwangBanger Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

Hoppe's #9 in the bore.

Formerly used 3-N-1 machine oil on all moving parts, and a light coating of 3-N-1 on the exterior when finished.

Now it's Sum Gy Lube on all moving parts, and a final exterior wipe down with a silicone-impregnated cloth.

18. Jarhead5811

Jarhead5811 Rational Anarchist MSGO Supporter

I’ve got a boy that’ll be nine on the 27th, this thread is almost as old as he is!

onlymaroonmatters and ThatGuy like this.
  19. 45flattop

45flattop Distinguished Poster

Jackson
    Shooter's Choice for bore cleaning, if I'm low on that
    Hoppe's #9 still does a good job and its not pricey.
    Sweet's for copper fouling removal or Hoppe's Copper
    Solvent if I'm out of Sweet's or my nose just can't take
    another sniff of Sweets.:lol5: