Mississippi Gun Owners banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
μολὼν λαβέ
37,516 Posts

·
Registered
16,430 Posts
Guy got lucky. I wonder why he carried that 150gr 9mm though? I'm glad the good guy prevailed here though. Reminds me to keep practicing my draw from concealment. Also anyone else see the last shot at 8:50 as the perp was on his way out the door?
The pistol he had and why is explained in the followup interview, along with several other key pieces of info, if you haven't watched it. It's rather long (36 minutes), but I recommend watching that also. :) I thought there was another shot, but wasn't sure about it.

·
Premium Member
10,497 Posts
Also anyone else see the last shot at 8:50 as the perp was on his way out the door?
Saw recoil, couldn't hear a shot. Manager doesn't realize he fired there- adrenaline, probably.
In interviews, he states not shooting after robber goes down.
He talks about practing maneuver @home, which he did good- moving off X, rapidly clearing malfunction, does need practoce his grips.

·
Premium Member
27,266 Posts
Per the interview, shop guy used an M&P Shield in 9mm. Federal HST "Micro" 150-gr HP ammo. :)

New Federal HST "Micro" 9mm Ammo Tested - Is it Worth It? -

"The Glock 43 and other single-stack “micro” 9mm handguns are all the rage, and for good reason. They are small, concealable, and pack a pretty good punch all things considered. Even our own James Reeves loves his Kahr handguns and yours truly typically carries a 9mm Glock 43 on a daily basis.

However, selecting an ammunition that will perform well can be tricky. Most defensive ammunition is designed for usage in 4″ barrels or longer (for reference, a Glock 19 is 4″). Anything slower, and one runs the risk of the ammunition not having sufficient velocity to expand upon impact, which can quickly lead to over-penetration. Often, shooters will select a +P round to get that extra velocity, but with a micro 9mm, that can lead to some relatively severe recoil, muzzle blast, and muzzle flip.

Knowing the fondness for micro 9mm handguns, Federal Premium ammunition developed an HST loading specifically for the micro 9’s. The powder charge was matched to the typical barrel length of about 3″. By doing so and using a heavy-for-caliber 150 grain projectile, the load can be a capable performer without all the detriments of the +P."

·
Chief cook and bottle washer
4,032 Posts
Shop guy used an M&P Shield in 9mm. Federal HST "Micro" 150-gr HP ammo. :)

New Federal HST "Micro" 9mm Ammo Tested - Is it Worth It? -

"The Glock 43 and other single-stack “micro” 9mm handguns are all the rage, and for good reason. They are small, concealable, and pack a pretty good punch all things considered. Even our own James Reeves loves his Kahr handguns and yours truly typically carries a 9mm Glock 43 on a daily basis.

However, selecting an ammunition that will perform well can be tricky. Most defensive ammunition is designed for usage in 4″ barrels or longer (for reference, a Glock 19 is 4″). Anything slower, and one runs the risk of the ammunition not having sufficient velocity to expand upon impact, which can quickly lead to over-penetration. Often, shooters will select a +P round to get that extra velocity, but with a micro 9mm, that can lead to some relatively severe recoil, muzzle blast, and muzzle flip.

Knowing the fondness for micro 9mm handguns, Federal Premium ammunition developed an HST loading specifically for the micro 9’s. The powder charge was matched to the typical barrel length of about 3″. By doing so and using a heavy-for-caliber 150 grain projectile, the load can be a capable performer without all the detriments of the +P."

I’m going to take a look at the Glock 48 just because I want the longer barrel

·
MSGO Court Jester
40,251 Posts
I'm not sure he only hit him once. It's more visible in the angle from the customer side of the counter, but bad guy grabs his left ear after the second or third shot. I'm thinking maybe a graze on the ear in addition to the leg/hip.

·
Registered
16,430 Posts
I'm not sure he only hit him once. It's more visible in the angle from the customer side of the counter, but bad guy grabs his left ear after the second or third shot. I'm thinking maybe a graze on the ear in addition to the leg/hip.
Since this happened early last year, I'd bet Saleh has gotten himself some pro training and a lot more backyard practice since then. :)

Thinking about this, it might be a good marketing strategy if training schools offered a free or discount class/1 on 1 tutoring, or range time for those who are involved in a successful DGU such as this. :hmm:

·
Registered
10,832 Posts
Why did dude put his finger (left hand) over top of the slide? He caused the malfunction with this. I’m with Ellis that cabinet would have some holes in it. This is his environment he should know what will and will not stop a bullet in case he needs to take cover. If you spend time in a store or shop, your home etc. take a look with that in mind. Just remember there is a big difference between cover and concealment. We saw this with the car at the northern M&G last summer. Bullets will go right thru a door but engine blocks and wheels are much better cover.

One last thing. The guy mentioned putting the gun up instead of going next door to warn the neighbors and I completely agree. He should be thankful the neighbors didn’t get paranoid from hearing the shots and shoot him when he walked in their store with a gun in hand.

·
Registered
16,430 Posts
Why did dude put his finger (left hand) over top of the slide? He caused the malfunction with this. I’m with Ellis that cabinet would have some holes in it. This is his environment he should know what will and will not stop a bullet in case he needs to take cover. If you spend time in a store or shop, your home etc. take a look with that in mind. Just remember there is a big difference between cover and concealment. We saw this with the car at the northern M&G last summer. Bullets will go right thru a door but engine blocks and wheels are much better cover.
A couple of those penetrations at the NM&G were 135gr Critical Duty (9mm) from about 40yds. If we have another M&G this year I'll bring my .41 mag and a few 12 gauge Brenneke and make some really big holes.

But more on point, Saleh had exactly zero knowledge of firearms 2 years prior to this incident according to his own statements. It's up to you, but you might give the man a little slack. :)

·
Registered
10,832 Posts
...But more on point, Saleh had exactly zero knowledge of firearms 2 years prior to this incident according to his own statements. It's up to you, but you might give the man a little slack. :)
Just giving folks some things to think about, not bashing the guy. However, if you are going to carry a firearm, you are accepting a lot of responsibility. Part of that is knowing your environment/setting. His be sure of his target was fine, not sure about the what is beyond it though. Was the glass front bullet proof, or did his errant shots go thru the window of the shop across the street? You are responsible for every bullet that you fire, so these are things to think about before you find yourself in a shootout in your shop, home, etc.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts