Mississippi Gun Owners banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some background for those that don't know: A bit over 20 years ago there was no Redditating, Metabooking, Twittering, TicTokery, etc. You could sell guns on local USENET .forsale groups but you couldn't sell them on FB or even Armslist because neither would exist for several years. eBay had just changed its gun parts rules but Gunbroker was barely up and running. Gun List and Shotgun News were popular but responding to anything in them would have gotten you some strange looks and been pointless...you'd have been talking to printed material, not typing on a computer or phone. The dotcom bubble had burst but there were these relatively new things called "internet forums" for non-tech topics such as guns, cars, etc. There were some weird and interesting exchanges because you had people from the long-online USENET culture (wiseass college students and grads, college profs and employees, techies, etc., but even with the "Eternal September" of '93, a small number of "normal everyday folks" compared with the last 10 or so years) interacting with the increasing influx of those new to "online" with no real frame of reference about "online."

A new poster appeared on what was then much smaller online gun forums populated by that unusual mix of people. The handle was Gecko45 and scene of the original crime was GlockTalk but the BS soon spread to other forums. I'd post more details, but that would spoil the fun. Just put "gecko45 glocktalk" into your preferred search engine and enjoy(?) the nostalgic nonsense that resulted.

·
MSGO Court Jester
47,188 Posts
Boy does that bring back memories. :rofl:

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I ran across some old posts online I forgot to save links to that said whoever was doing gecko45 was out of ms.
That was arful (ar15.com). I don't think Ed (RIP Senior), the founder and head jefe, could decide whether to start shooting people, banning, moderating, or giving out awards, so he went with cheering it on from a safe distance. Most - but definitely not all - took it with the good humor intended. There were a few people who really took it seriously and when they found out it was all good-natured trolling got really pissed about falling for it. And BTW, the lonelymachines stuff doesn't cover the half of it all. It wound up on arf, the HK forum, THR, etc. Back then a lot of the main people at those forums knew each or at least "knew" each other and let it play out, at least for a while. Like anything else, a few outsiders jumped on it and it started getting out of hand, and along with actual loonies finding their way online posting seriously loony things, it got weird pretty quickly. In fact, for years afterward newcomers still confused the mall ninja handles with the real loons. One of the actual loons wound up getting busted by the feds about 10 years later (around 2010) and some people still confused him with the mall ninja posters.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
This is where the term mall ninja originated?
Kinda-sorta. Gecko was a student of "ninjitsu" (a spoof name) and had the official wall-climbing boots but he was firm that he wasn't worthy of being called a true ninja just yet. One of the notreadyforprimetime players started the "mall ninja" stuff. I'll post some more about the origins later.

·
Nocturnal Specialties
7,473 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts