Mississippi Gun Owners banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Premium Member
14,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here’s a quiz for the gun experts out there. Does anyone have any idea of the model and manufacturer of this .22 rifle? It was marketed as a single shot automatic. It cycles with everything from CB Caps to Long Rifles. 45,000 were made from 1958 to 1961. You pull back the lever under the rear sight to cock it for the first shot. It fires from an open bolt.
[/url][/img]
[/url][/img]

Next you push down the loading gate and insert a round. It’s also automatically put on safe when you push down the loading gate.
[/url][/img]
[/url][/img]

When shot the bolt goes forward to fire the round and then blows back and locks open. The empty hull is ejected out the bottom.
[/url][/img]

It shoots great. I had two of these but sold the other one at a gun show several years ago. No one that I’ve shown it to has ever seen or heard of it. Does anyone on here have one?

And the answer is:
[/url][/img]
[/url][/img

Just to confuse things Winchester also made a center-fire lever action called the model 55.
]

· Registered
6,160 Posts
I remeber a friend having one of those

That he let some of shoot when we were teenagers but for the life of me I could NOT
recall who made it and I've never seen one at a gun show or on a gun shop's used rack
since then, over 50 years I suspect.

· Premium Member
14,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Joe S. said:
i have an old model 74 (i think) winchester. it is a true semi auto that the tube runs through the butt stock. i thought it was odd. but this one wrote the book on odd. lol

very cool!
If yours looks like this, it's a Winchester 74. The top one is .22 Short only made in '39. The other two are .22LR made in '47 and '54.
[/url][/img]

· Premium Member
14,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
PhillipM said:
I hadn't thought about that model in years, you have lived up to your handle.

Since it's an open bolt, what holds the cartridge in the chamber when you want to carry it loaded and on safe?
I couldn't remember so I had to go look. It's got a small spring loaded tab that snaps over the rim and holds it in the chamber.

· Registered
830 Posts
.22 Single Shot Automatic

I'm new to the forum and just read the post on the Winchester Model 55. This is only the second one that I've seen. I have one of these rifles. It is really unique and shoots well, but was a design that just didn't "catch-on". Also, according to prices on the internet, it doesn't seem to be a high priority among collecters (unfortunately)! Thanks for sharing it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.