Mississippi Gun Owners banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Gun-Fu Wannabe; Just Living Life
767 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Great Southern show, right? Should be decent sized I hope.

·
Super Moderator
13,406 Posts
My full time vendor buddies say it's getting smaller every time but I've never been. Laurel is the biggest in the state with 300 tables and a Big Pop show. Next one in Laurel is March 16 & 17. Good luck and let us know how you do

·
Premium Member
693 Posts
The Hattiesburg show used to be my favorite, but then it got smaller and smaller. It has been better recently, so I hope this weekend is good and I will be there. Laurel is a great show and I try not to miss it.

Best regards
Doc

·
Registered
981 Posts
I'm on the lookout for a new edc knife since I lost my Kershaw Blu after 3 years of good service . Maybe a couple of well stocked knife vendors will be at the Hattiesburg show. Anyone had experience wit h Crkt Rat 1 with open assist and g10 grips?

·
Premium Member
1,507 Posts
I'll be there, in my usual place. Hopefully it will be a good one. I'm on the fence whether to keep going to that one or not. Problem is, there are only two gun shows that are close enough to me to make it worth while to set up. It's a hobby for me, and not usually a profitable one, so I don't have a motel or food budget.

Stop by and say hello!

·
Premium Member
3,524 Posts
I'll be there, in my usual place. Hopefully it will be a good one. I'm on the fence whether to keep going to that one or not. Problem is, there are only two gun shows that are close enough to me to make it worth while to set up. It's a hobby for me, and not usually a profitable one, so I don't have a motel or food budget.

Stop by and say hello!
Where will you be?
Thinking of attending.

·
Super Moderator
8,087 Posts
At Hattiesburg, Hoot's usually at the 2nd or 3rd table on the right of the entrance.

·
Premium Member
1,507 Posts
Thanks TwangBanger!

Yep, come down the stairs and take a right, I'm the third or fourth table on the right, against the wall. I'll have a red table cover, and a MS flag behind me. MSGO patch in the case with the pistols.

See ya'll there!

·
Registered
36 Posts
I went last year (or year before?) there was an older guy at the top of the steps inspecting guns being brought in to make sure they weren't loaded. After I watched him point a shotgun at 4-5 people I said something to him about it, he didn't appreciate it much but he did (to his credit) point the gun the other way. There were very few vendors. I didn't know the show at Laurel was that large, I need to go check that out.

·
Eat Sleep Guns & Jeep
10,395 Posts
I grew up going to the show in Hburg. Ever since got one here in Laurel I've quit going to the one in Hburg. Helps it's less than 5 minutes down the road. It's much larger than I remember the one in Hburg being.

·
Premium Member
693 Posts
Thanks TwangBanger!

Yep, come down the stairs and take a right, I'm the third or fourth table on the right, against the wall. I'll have a red table cover, and a MS flag behind me. MSGO patch in the case with the pistols.

See ya'll there!

As some of you know, I'll be there walking around with my large, green, nylon bag over my shoulder. I tell folks that it's my "table in a bag."

Best regards
Doc

·
Premium Member
693 Posts
I went last year (or year before?) there was an older guy at the top of the steps inspecting guns being brought in to make sure they weren't loaded. After I watched him point a shotgun at 4-5 people I said something to him about it, he didn't appreciate it much but he did (to his credit) point the gun the other way. There were very few vendors. I didn't know the show at Laurel was that large, I need to go check that out.
No offense, but are you sure you're thinking about the right show or the right time frame? I've been going to the Hattiesburg show fairly regularly for well over a decade and have never seen this. They always (and only) have deputies at the table in the entrance vestibule checking guns.

Best regards
Doc

·
Registered
73 Posts
No offense, but are you sure you're thinking about the right show or the right time frame? I've been going to the Hattiesburg show fairly regularly for well over a decade and have never seen this. They always (and only) have deputies at the table in the entrance vestibule checking guns.

Best regards
Doc
I was in Hattiesburg show a few years ago when a gun discharged bullet hit ceiling, was checked at door but was not looked at thoroughly, I only live 15 minutes away but quit going because the Laurel show is so much better. If Hattiesburg shows improvement I would go back.

·
Premium Member
693 Posts
I was in Hattiesburg show a few years ago when a gun discharged bullet hit ceiling, was checked at door but was not looked at thoroughly, I only live 15 minutes away but quit going because the Laurel show is so much better. If Hattiesburg shows improvement I would go back.
I was there the day it happened, but it happened near or on the stairs at the front and I was in the back of the show at the time. Someone told me the weapon was a .25 acp, but I didn't see it. I'm not sure if the pistol wasn't adequately checked, or if the guy put a round in it later.

Best regards
Doc

·
Registered
36 Posts

Best regards
Doc
Absolutely sure. If the man checking the firearms was a deputy he was in plain clothes, because I spoke very directly to him from just a few feet away. This was past the entrance doors almost right at the top of the steps at a small table.

·
Premium Member
1,507 Posts
I was there when the (Beretta I think) .25 went off. Story is, it was checked in by the Police, zip tied, carried throughout the show, and when the guy was leaving, he cut the tie, and in removing the tie, the gun went off. Fortunately, the guy was following the "never point a gun at anything..." rule, and it was pointed at the ceiling. I got the story from one of the folks in the group that was with him, and I believe it. Seems that the Deputy that checked the pistol removed the magazine but didn't check the chamber. I believe there was some action taken over it, but I'm not positive about that.

I've been to every H'burg Show for the past maybe ten or so years. I've never seen the Police checking a gun anywhere but at the front door. Also, I've never seen undercover Police checking guns. It might have been somebody looking at guns to maybe buy cheap. (There are a few folks that try to stake out a spot to get a shot at incoming weapons before they get to the show floor, and they get creative with their schtick.)

The number of folks that will sweep the crowd is astonishing, and it happens at every gun show I've ever been to. Happens at my table, here and at Lyman, all the time, and it happens to every other seller that I know. The one thing I say more than anything else at the show (other than "Howdy!") is, "Please point that at the ceiling." And I have less trouble than most folks out on the floor, because I have a wall behind me.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts