Mississippi Gun Owners banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, not having anyone I'd like to leave my firearm collection to when I shuffle off this mortal coil, has anyone considered donating their militaria upon their demise to a trust/museum/etc?
Ideally, I'd want each member to be able to handle & fire all my weapons, even if at a specific range (MRPC comes to mind, for instance). No fees beyond maintenance, regular inspections by qualified gunsmiths, only factory loaded ammo and other usual precautions, etc.
I'd feel better knowing my meager collection complete with bayonets and stripper clip pouches, cleaning kits, flags, etc. could be enjoyed by anyone with modest membership fees to cover overhead. I realize there would have to be liability insurance and administrative costs, etc.
Sounds crazy, but has anyone else considered the feasibility of such a thing? Any positive input would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
665 Posts
sure you can donate to a museum, but if they accept it, it will most likely sit in storage to be rarely/never displayed. No one will get to fire it. It will sit behind glass, or more likely sit in a box for the rare time if ever a book writer/collector wants to look at it. And that's a big IF the museum will accept it. The museum may already have same/similar in collections, not fit the museum's purpose, etc. And I hate to break it to you, unless you have something exceptionally rare/valuable (ex: machine guns, artillery pieces, tanks, airplanes, etc), no one is going to give a **** nor pay to shoot it. I know your items may have a lot of sentimental value to you, but to pretty much everyone else on the planet...nah. Just have your family sell it all on gunbroker or a pawn shop or estate sale.

·
Premium Member
1,751 Posts
As the curator for the Henry Bowman Museum of Weaponry I can say we would be proud to accept your donation. I suspect it would fit in nicely with our current collection, and would be proudly displayed in an area of prominence..

·
Registered
698 Posts
Most large museums only display around 1% of their inventory...they are just huge warehouses with most items logged, categorized and stored.

·
Registered
286 Posts
As I understand it, you can have as many trusties on your trust as you want, and they have "ownership" the same as the trust holder. The trust holder ( don't know correct term ) can change trusties as he wants.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts