close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Guns on VA property in Jackson

Discussion in 'General Firearms Discussion' started by senilking, May 2, 2016.

1. senilking

senilking Distinguished Poster

Pontotoc
    Jarhead5811 likes this.
  2. vr1967

vr1967 Rooinek Amerikaanse

The signs posted there say property, but take that for with a grain of salt. I'm not driving 2 hrs one way unarmed, much less passing thru south Jackson unarmed, and I have been to the VA just about every day for the last 3 weeks.

3. GunnyGene

GunnyGene Distinguished Poster

That reference is not the only one that pertains. DoD also has regulations that apply, and the base or facility commander has some latitude regarding possession on the grounds of the facility. See this: DoD directive 5210.56: http://www.dtic.mil/whs/directives/corres/pdf/521056p.pdf . I don't know if that applies to VA grounds, but it might.

USPS also has their own set of regs that prohibit possession on grounds they own such as parking lots, unless that property is shared with some other private business, etc.

Edit to add: Here's the law as it pertains to VA property:

Last edited: May 2, 2016
    Jarhead5811 and fordpkup like this.
  4. fordpkup

fordpkup Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

I'm like VR. Not going without my gun. I lock it in my car. I've got to go to the VA two times this month. Not going in a combat zone unarmed.

Jarhead5811, 94LEVERFAN and mascott like this.
  5. GunnyGene

Like most of this kind of thing, it only applies if you get caught. So don't get caught. ;)

94LEVERFAN, phillipd and fordpkup like this.
  6. senilking

senilking Distinguished Poster

Pontotoc
    Thanks, that was what I was looking for. Still curious why they cite part of the code that doesn't actually apply to the grounds since the signs seem to imply the property.

We all just have to make our own decisions about where to carry and where it's legal. I just wanted to know for sure so I knew what I was talking about if someone brought it up in conversation.

7. Boudreaux

Boudreaux ULTIMATE WEAPON THE GLOCK IS....FAIL IT DOES NOT

Same thing down on the coast, sign at the road leading up to the facility.

8. rigrat

rigrat Semper Fi

(13) Weapons and explosives. No person while on property shall carry firearms, other dangerous or deadly weapons, or explosives, either openly or concealed, except for official purposes.

38 CFR 1.218 - Security and law enforcement at VA facilities.

Would seem to me that it means carry on person , not truly mentioning grounds. Seems that (4) Conformity with signs and emergency conditions., might get you though.

But I'm like everyone else I have to carry momma up there and I'm not driving 2-3 hours to Jackson unarmed. I'll lock it in the vehicle while there. I honestly think they have a conflict with the Castle doctrine law saying my vehicle is part of my house and then saying I can't have a gun in my house(car) when parked in a parking lot.

I'll carry anyway, as it has been said everyone has to make that choice. JMO

9. bar306

bar306 Distinguished Poster

VA NO GUN SIGNS = FREE FIRE KILL ZONE

10. vr1967

Yep, gun free zones and have these nice targets on the ER ramp.
    Do we need to remove them? Don't want to traumatize anyone.

image.jpg

Heading up now, will try to remember to get pictures of some of the signs.

11. rigrat

rigrat Semper Fi

I don't remember seeingany signs in the entrances to the parking lots. But then again I wasn't really looking.

12. GunnyGene

There aren't any at the main gate of CAFB, either, but that don't mean you can walk around armed. In fact, there are very few buildings on base that have no weapons signs. One of them is the Commissary which is posted, but not the PX which actually is in the same building but with a different entrance. Go figger. :hmm:

13. rigrat

rigrat Semper Fi

I'm probably wrong in my thinking but I don't look at the VA hospital as a base though it more than likely is leased property for them and considered as such.

14. GunnyGene

The VA is a Cabinet level organization, that reports directly to the Pres. and is of equal rank to the other Cabinet Secretaries, such as State, DoD, etc. So you're not wrong. Many DoD installations are also leased property, but still abide by Federal Laws, not State or local laws.

15. fordpkup

fordpkup Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

If I were caught with a firearm on VA property, In addition to firearm charges I would lose my VA benefits.

16. rigrat

rigrat Semper Fi

Thanks Gunny for the clarification, I figured it was leased under Federal law, like post offices and such.

Thats is why I think it is something each and every person should decide on their own which road to take , high or low no wrong choice in my book.

fordpkup likes this.
  17. GunnyGene

There's a lot of confusion on the part of the general population about the VA and how it is connected to the military. People tend to think that the VA is the same as the DoD health care program, when actually there is no direct connection, or chain of command, between them. Even their fundamental purpose is different. The VA exists to primarily service vets who are not eligible for the military Tri-care or active duty/reserve facilities. Although individuals may be referred to a VA hospital (or a civilian facility) by the military if circumstances warrant.

The military health care program, on the other hand, has as it's primary function; "not the care of the individual, harsh as that may seem, but the preservation of the health of the command in order that its numbers and vigor may be unimpaired and its military value thus maintained". This is true even for retiree's, who by law may be called back to active duty without their consent until the day we die and therefore help to maintain a commands military value by filling needs that may free up younger and healthier men and women for front line combat duty. I may not be any good anymore in a combat role, but I can still perform less strenuous, but critical duties in support of the front line troops. And very nearly did for the 1st Gulf war. :)

18. rigrat

rigrat Semper Fi

You are so right and until now discussing this with you I didn't understand it myself. Thank you for helping enlighten me on the subject.

19. vr1967

Turning onto service road.

image.jpg

Turning into parking lot
    image.jpg

And entrance from side parking lot
    image.jpg