Happy 75th Anniversary "Memphis Belle" 25 Missions 17 May 1943

Discussion in 'General Off Topic' started by bar306, May 17, 2018.

1. bar306

bar306 Distinguished Poster

2. bar306

Good thing USAF got this WWII hero out of Memphis before the city administration destroyed it.

3. oldwelder

oldwelder Distinguished Poster

Years ago I remember going to the Mid South Fair at Memphis, the Memphis Belle was sitting on a concrete slab at the Mid South Fairgounds for many years, years later they moved it to a covered pavilion I think around Mud Island downtown I may wrong about where they moved it to, I am glad to see it restored and in the museum, I also remember the movie The Memphis Belle.

4. librich

librich Distinguished Poster

Liberty
    Saw it when it was at Mud Island. Glad to see it in a place where it can be better preserved.

5. bar306

In early 60's the Belle was parked out in the open on Winchester. There was not even a fence. It was robbed of most of it's easily removable parts while in that state...stuff like instruments, etc. Today, the entire plane would have disappeared overnight.

Blondie70 likes this.
  6. Leonidas

Leonidas The Beast MSGO Supporter

Louisiana
    IIRC, after that, it sat on another concrete slab in front of the NG Armory on Central Ave. for a decade or more, rusting and rotting.

Blondie70 likes this.
  7. Heck, today the Memphis mayor and City Council do that ... and a judge says that it's "legal"!

Blondie70, bar306 and Henry Bowman like this.
  8. librich

librich Distinguished Poster

Liberty
    Watching the documentary on Netflix right now.

bar306 likes this.
  9. Cliff731

Cliff731 Danged ole' Hermit...

As far as I understand, all aircraft given/donated by the DOD and the U.S. military (such as the Air Force) for display purposes are done so with a stipulation requiring the recipients to exhibit the aircraft in a dignified manner and maintain said aircraft's condition to reflect well upon that branch of the service.

The military and the DOD fully reserve the right to reclaim any aircraft that isn't kept or displayed properly, including those that are vandalized and pillaged by otherwise scavengers and souvenir hunter types.

With the historical significance of the original Memphis Belle B-17 and the conditions the city administration of Memphis allowed her to suffer in, I'm not surprised the Air Force took her back!

bar306, patchz and Blondie70 like this.
  10. Arms Lister

Arms Lister Glocks beat Rocks

I recommend "five came back" on netflix to anyone interested in the Memphis Belle and ww2 history in general. It is an excellent documentary on the contributions of five directors to the war effort.

bar306, Leonidas and Blondie70 like this.
  11. Leonidas

Leonidas The Beast MSGO Supporter

Louisiana
    Strongly agree. They made real sacrifices to serve in the best way they could.

Thanks for reminding me. Gonna watch it again.

Cliff731 likes this.