close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Happy Confederate Memorial Day Mississippi

Discussion in 'General Off Topic' started by vr1967, Apr 25, 2016.

1. vr1967

vr1967 Rooinek Amerikaanse

Please remember those who served in the Confederate Army today. May their sacrifices not be forgotten.

One I very seldom post- ancestor Garnett B Whittington, Co K, 7th Mississippi Infantry Regiment. This photo, in his uniform was taken in New Orleans, February 1862, when the 7th left the Mississippi coast headed to north Mississippi in preparation to what would become the Battle of Shiloh.
    Garnett survived the war, but sadly, several members of his company perished on Feb 27, 1862 just days after his photo was taken when their train collided with a cargo train at Ponchatoula, LA.

image.jpg

patchz, phillipd, Blondie70 and 8 others like this.
  2. Sum Gy Custom Firearms

Sum Gy Custom Firearms Distinguished Poster

In honor of the great patriots of the south! May their spirits live on in us every day and may they never be forgotten!!!!
    :south::1usa:

Last edited: Apr 25, 2016

3. NRA_guy

NRA_guy Distinguished Poster

Nice looking guy. (The photo must have been colorized from the black and white original.)

And I bet that he never owned a slave.

melmerf, rebel4ever, deadhead and 3 others like this.
  4. Stryker6

Stryker6 Distinguished Poster

Had family with the 12th & 19th Arkansas infantry.

22lrfan, 94LEVERFAN, phillipd and 6 others like this.
  5. vr1967

A tune enjoyed by both sides.

22lrfan, Blondie70, bar306 and 4 others like this.
  6. vr1967

Here are some of the units my ancestors served in (I'm sure I missed a few)

2nd Mississippi Infantry (Quinn's State Troops)
    7th Mississippi Infantry Regiment
    16th Mississippi Infantry
    22nd Mississippi Infantry
    33rd Mississippi Infantry
    39th Mississippi Infantry
    44th Mississippi Infantry
    4th Mississippi Cavalry
    38th Mississippi Mounted Infantry
    Power's Regiment Mississippi Calvary

2nd Louisiana Infantry
    4th Louisiana Infantry
    3rd Louisiana Cavalry (Wingfield's)
    Miles Louisiana Legion

11th/17th Arkansas Mounted Infantry

Stryker6, 22lrfan, phillipd and 5 others like this.
  7. fordpkup

fordpkup Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

Virgil, I told my son about some of your work and he hates that he didn't make it to Sum Gy's to meet you.

8. Vick

Vick Distinguished Poster

Happy Confederate Memorial Day, Y'all! I had ancestors on top of Lookout Mountain, and in several Georgia units; NRA guy, the fellow I was named after was a New Orleans financier and business man (once temporary Mayor of New Orleans) and was a slave holder; don't know if any of the Georgia folks had slaves or not. I know for sure I don't have any! :lol4:

22lrfan, 94LEVERFAN, phillipd and 6 others like this.
  9. burb1989

burb1989 Distinguished Poster

Saucier
    I'm definitely celebrating today in memory of my two confederate ancestors, both brothers. The younger brother was in the 15th Virginia Cavalry and the older was in a cavalry unit within the Army of Northern Virginia whose flag became what everyone knows as the "confederate flag"

10. vr1967

Took a few muskets out and fired off a volley in salute of those that served.

If I can find some good lead, will make some Minies and bring an old smoke pole or two to the next gathering at Sum Gy's.
    Then we can see how good some of you fellers are without optics, ramming charges down, capping etc. Lol

22lrfan, phillipd, Blondie70 and 3 others like this.
  11. sand_man

sand_man Grouchy Old Fart MSGO Supporter

The new confederate monument at the court house in Lucedale is a must go by and see it is beautiful! 118 names of soldiers that are buried in George County!!!

mon.jpg

22lrfan, patchz, phillipd and 5 others like this.
  12. Blondie70

Blondie70 Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

My Confederate ancestors were all from the Ponchatoula , LA area.....7 LA Infantry, I think.

13. vr1967

Liberty's monument is the oldest in the state and one of the oldest in the nation. Possibly the first cornerstone set of any (late 1865-early 66) but it was not completed until 1871, where I believe two other towns in the south had fully erected theirs already.

Monument has 279 names of men from Amite County that died in Confederate service. I have probably 25-30 names that was missed, which I hope to one day place on a small plaque near it. Am working on a binder with information on the 279 that I will leave there telling each individual's story

image.jpg

22lrfan, patchz, phillipd and 3 others like this.
  14. fordpkup

fordpkup Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

Vr, you should write a book.

15. stewbaby

stewbaby Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

16. phillipd

phillipd Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

columbus
    vr, I'll be your huckleberry. How much good, alloyed lead you want for this? My treat.

17. vr1967

Phillipd,

Thank you for the offer.

For decent shopping Minies I need to find a source for pure lead. All my old go to places have dried up.
    For the Minie to work, it goes down the barrel undersized, then when the powder ignites, it expands the end out enough to grab the rifling. In this case, softer is better.

18. Sum Gy Custom Firearms

Sum Gy Custom Firearms Distinguished Poster

I have your solution! Shotgun shot is either pure or near pure lead!!

BasMstr likes this.