close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Harvest Right Freeze Dryer

Discussion in 'Survival/Preparedness/Self Sufficiency' started by Sneaky, Jul 31, 2017.

1. Sneaky

Sneaky Distinguished Poster

Anyone else have one of these? We bought one in May. It's the large 220v one. Done maybe 10 batches so far, mostly just trying new things to see how they turn out. So far we've done raw chicken, raw squash, raw zucchini, strawberries, pineapples, blueberries (didn't turn out good for some reason), yoghurt, raw peas, potatoes (blanched), figs, and bananas. Today we just put in some pre-cooked turkey sausage patties, a few precooked pork sausage patties just to try, ham, imitation crab, and some leftover rotisserie chicken from Walmart. Probably about 10 lbs total in this batch. It should be done late tomorrow evening hopefully.

IMG_1684.JPG IMG_1683.JPG

2. para40

para40 Sr. Curmudgeon

Lamar Co.
    Wait a week or 2 and taste it.
    Be sure and let us know,
    wife wants one.

Mesquite and BasMstr like this.

3. Sneaky

Everything we've tried so far has been good. Fruit and vegetables are delicious to eat without rehydrating. Bananas are amazing. Squash and zucchini, lightly salted, are really tasty dry. Right now I'm rehydrating some raw chicken we did a few weeks ago. I'll cook it and report back in a few.

4. para40

para40 Sr. Curmudgeon

Lamar Co.
    Beef, need to know about beef. :)

fordpkup and CajunBP like this.
  5. captain-03

captain-03 Moderator Staff Member MSGO Supporter

.... and fish!!!!!!

Mesquite and fordpkup like this.
  6. Sneaky

Chicken is pretty good. I'm sure if I had a plate of fresh chicken cooked to compare to the freeze dried chicken, I'd be able to tell the difference, but it's pretty good. Found a few small spots that didn't fully rehydrate, but I probably didn't leave it in the water long enough. Not bad at all for raw chicken that's been sitting on my counter in a ziploc bag for probably a month.

I'm planning to try beef and fish soon. The only issue with beef I foresee is having to remove all the fat, because fat supposedly doesn't freeze dry well. Probably try some lean sirloin.

First pic is prior to rehydration. I didn't get complicated with the cooking. Just added a little Worcestershire to the water while it was rehydrating, then seasoned with and Cavenders and pan fried.

IMG_1685.JPG IMG_1686.JPG

7. Caleb C

Caleb C Distinguished Poster

Lake, MS
    I've really be wanting to try this but have had a hard time coming off of that much money. The quality units like that are expensive. I guess if you ever really needed it then the investment cost would really matter.

Please keep us posted on your experience with this.

Mesquite and LeansVeryRight2016 like this.
  8. Sneaky

The price is pretty steep, but beprepared.com frequently has 20% off site wide sales. I got mine during one. Saved about $800.

LeansVeryRight2016 likes this.
  9. LeansVeryRight2016

LeansVeryRight2016 Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

Good info!

Mesquite likes this.
  10. Leonidas

Leonidas Resident Mushroom (know what they say) MSGO Supporter

Yeah. Please keep us up on this. I've been jonesing for one since I first learned of them, but 3 large is a pretty big flyer to take w/o a trustworthy review.

11. bucmeister

bucmeister Distinguished Poster

SW-MS
    Have a hankering for one, but like most of you I see it as a steep price. Figure by the time one is convinced it would be worth the price the time to get it and prepare will be passed.

Are you going to get into vacuum packing the results in the Mylar bags for long term? Or are you using it more to reduce the amount of frozen food? Seems if one had a traditional cellar they could vacuum seal the freeze dried stuff in wide mouth canning jars then store in the cool dark space of the cellar. Seems that would be the most ideal for true long term survival prep if sheltering in place, not so much for having to relocate. Bags would definitely be preferable for being on the move or run as the case might be.

Mesquite likes this.
  12. Leonidas

Have you tried ice cream, yet? They claim it will work, but I just don't get that.
    :hmm:

Mesquite likes this.
  13. Sneaky

There are quite a lot of very positive reviews out there. The few negative ones are mainly complaints about the regular maintenance (oil changes) required, or that it's not quite as simple or easy to use as some people expect when they buy it. That seems to me to just be lack of research and unrealistic expectations on their part. Sure, it would be nice if regular oil changes and pump cleanings weren't required. But doing so isn't hard. Nobody gives cars bad reviews because they require maintenance. It's just a necessary evil. Overall I'm very satisfied.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2017
    Mesquite and Leonidas like this.
  14. Sneaky

You could honestly buy A LOT of freeze dried food for the cost of the machine, plus what you pay for the food to put in it. It would probably pay for itself fairly quickly though if you used the crap out of it. The large one can do 10-15 lbs of food at a time. Plus it's fun to do yourself. The machine does seem to cost a lot, until you put it in perspective of what else people spend that much money on. People pay more for used ATV's.

I've been sealing stuff we do in Mylar bags with oxygen absorbers. They're cheap and supposedly food packaged like that will last 20+ years. Supposedly no need to vacuum pack though because the oxygen absorbers remove all oxygen from the air in the bag. Plus freeze dried foot is brittle, and the air helps keep it from getting crushed and broken. Imagine how potato chips would be if they were vacuum packed.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2017
    Mesquite and bucmeister like this.
  15. Sneaky

I have not, but it's on the agenda. I've had mountain house freeze dried ice cream. It's actually pretty good. You have to eat it dry though, because obviously if you rehydrate it it won't be frozen.

Mesquite and Leonidas like this.
  16. Leonidas

Maintenacne is a non issue. I take care of my stuff. Guns, tools, equipment.

I care about:
    1. Is the review honest. Not planted by the seller. That's why I am excited that you are the reviewer.
    2. Will it last.

Thanks for being the Guinea pig. LOL

Mesquite, Blondie70 and bucmeister like this.