Harvey relief for East Texas/West Louisiana

Discussion in 'South Mississippi' started by blcouch, Aug 30, 2017.

1. blcouch

blcouch Distinguished Poster

I posted this on a few different pages. My name is Brandon Couch. I'm a towboat captain that works on the Gulf coast in Louisiana and Texas and on the Mississippi River some also. The church I am coordinating with is Leaf River Baptist Church near Collins. If anyone is interested in helping out let me know. Post follows.

I'm getting off the boat on 9/11. I have a Tundra crewmax and most likely a 16' double axle trailer or a Uhaul. I'm coordinating with a local to me pastor/professor to gather supplies to make a run to the Houston area on or around 9/13. I live just above Hattiesburg and will be heading down 59 to 12 then to 10 to Texas. Anyone around Hattiesburg/Laurel area that would like to help let me know and I can get a drop point for anything that you could send. The below list is one a friend on another boat saw in a FB page concerning disaster relief supplies. Yes, it's 1.5 weeks from now but I'm hoping a balance of storm water receeding and the sheer numbers of people in need will reach a balance that will make the trip worthwhile and successful. If anyone cares, though I don't talk about it much, I'm a towboat captain that works almost exclusively in and around Houston/Port Arthur when I'm not on the Mississippi. Harvey put a hell of a Dent in East Texas. I'm of the age and sort of position where I can do more to help than just donate $20 via PayPal. I'll keep updating this thread when I have more info. If the trip is cancelled I can make arrangements to get supplies returned or donated to a local shelter or church if the donors are agreeable. Thanks.

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. onlymaroonmatters

onlymaroonmatters Eat Sleep Jeep & Guns MSGO Supporter

Laurel

3. fordpkup

fordpkup Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

Those moving blankets at Harbor Freight are cheap and could be used to keep warm.

4. Mesquite

Mesquite Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

A suggestion from our Katrina list,
    33-45 gal bags, bottle dish & hand soaps, good disposable gloves(or dishwasher gloves ) along with the work gloves, & 100 ft. Clothesline with pins. And after seeing the amounts of clothes that went to ruin because of moisture; separate clothes item in bags will help reduce the man power to sort / distribution.
    Thanks.