Mississippi Gun Owners banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,394 Posts
Anybody going
Just wondering if it's worth the trip
Last 4 has been a waste
Never been. Word among the vendors I know from the Big Pop (David Chancellor) shows is that it's a no go. You might get lucky and I usually buy from walk ins, but I would wait for Laurel in that part of the world. A good many of the vendors who work David's circuit won't work this one.

·
Gun-Fu Wannabe; Just Living Life
767 Posts
Wait, there is a show in Hattiesburg this weekend? How did I miss this?

·
Registered
219 Posts
My folks went Saturday morning. Found a Dan Wesson .357 mag 4" with fixed sights. Guy came down to $425, but it really wasn't what they were looking for. They said that "customers" were basically non-existent.

·
Super Moderator
8,056 Posts
I was there from probably 9:30 to 11:00, and the crowd was very small. Cost $7 to get in, but should have only been $3.50, since vendors took up only about half of the arena floor . . . it should have been half price to get in.

Forum brothers HootG and Rw were both there working tables, and I got to visit with both of them for a while without "customers" interfering, so that should speak to the low turnout.

As far as selection goes there was plenty of depth, but not much breadth. Most everyone had the same things . . and plenty of them. Not as much variety or used stuff, which is my main interest. The only Milsurps I saw were an overpriced SMLE .303, and a "sporterized" 91/30.

The only thing I saw that really wanted was a Charter Arms Bulldog .44 Special, but I couldn't justify the $400 price, especially with my recent house fire & car wreck.

·
Super Moderator
8,056 Posts
Car Wreck????
Yep. On Saturday July 14, me and my grandson were headed south on Hwy 49. We had just left Chuck E. Cheese, and were going to the Railroad Museum on Pass Rd.

I was in the left lane, and a box-truck was next to me in the middle lane.

Two cars were headed north on 49 (one chasing the other). One of the north bound cars jumped the curb, and crossed the southbound lanes right in front of me and the box truck. We both slammed on brakes to keep from hitting the car that jumped the curb, and the box-truck ran into my passenger side. Destroyed it from the front bumper to the back bumper. Scared my 8 year old grandson. . . It was his first accident.

The police blamed the northbound driver who jumped the curb, saying that if he hadn't done that, then the box-truck wouldn't have hit me. It just so happened that the driver who jumped the curb, also fled the scene . . . . so it's filed on my uninsured motorist policy.

·
μολὼν λαβέ
37,049 Posts
The only thing I saw that really wanted was a Charter Arms Bulldog .44 Special, but I couldn't justify the $400 price, especially with my recent house fire & car wreck.
You can buy the 2.5" bulldogs for less than 400 new on budsgunshop, and the 3" classic for 400 on buds.

·
Premium Member
693 Posts
I was a vendor with HootG and sat through Saturday and Sunday. Saturday was actually significantly better than Sunday, though both days were slow. We both sold a (very) few things on Saturday and absolutely nothing on Sunday. The Hattiesburg show has gone through a lot of changes over the years. This recent episode was by no means the worst I've seen there, but was only a fraction of the show's better days. I hope it improves again because I'm in Poplarville and that show is the most convenient for me.

To the good, I picked up a deal on a stainless .357 New Model Blackhawk from another vendor and got a killer deal on a rough 1916 Spanish Mauser and a very pretty FN-produced, Columbian 30-06 M98 from a walk-in.

Best regards
Doc

·
Super Moderator
8,056 Posts
I was surprised to see Mike Smith from Mike's Speed Shop set up there. I thought he had given up on the H'burg show, as he wasn't there for the last several I went to. When I saw he was there, I thought, maybe things are picking up for the H'burg show.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Why is the Hattiesburg show so much different from the Laurel show? I’ve never been to the one in ‘burg very few to the Laurel one but always lots of people when I have gone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
8,056 Posts
Why is the Hattiesburg show so much different from the Laurel show?
Different promoters. Laurel is put on by David Chancellor (Big Pop Gun Shows). He puts on a great show, treats his vendors right, and promotes it well.
Hattiesburg is put on by "Great Southern", and it's not anywhere near the quality of show as a Chancellor show. Sometimes, the only signs you see promoting H'burg are right next to the convention center entrance on Hwy 49.

·
Eat Sleep Guns & Jeep
10,357 Posts
Why is the Hattiesburg show so much different from the Laurel show? I’ve never been to the one in ‘burg very few to the Laurel one but always lots of people when I have gone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's put on by David Chancellor/Big Pop Fireworks. Much more advertising. I didn't even know there was one in Hattiesburg last weekend until talked to Twang.
Also I think there was a falling out in the past with the Hattiesburg show provider and some vendors if not mistaken.

·
Super Moderator
8,056 Posts
I keep watch on this website for all gun shows that are within driving distance for me: Mississippi Gun Shows

There's a "Classic Arms Productions LLC" show in Biloxi in August. (A fair to middling show).
Also a "SMGA" show in Gulfport/Lyman in September (awesome show, like Chancellor's).

Reactions: Doc1 and phillipd
1 - 20 of 27 Posts