Mississippi Gun Owners banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
Let's go shoot some, we dont want to wound anything.
6,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like your opinion on the Hawke Optics and Vortex Optics hunting scopes for mostly late afternoon hunts
I have owned Swift scopes for over 18 years and they have performed up to my satisfaction on my 308 Ruger. I have been thinking of trying one of the newer brands or stay with Swift to have a scope that performs like a Leupold or Nikon but cost much less so that I can buy more to fit my other hunting rifles.

·
Premium Member
14,697 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
When I first put a scope on my 30.06 742 back in the 70s, it did fine till one day it looked like a ice kladascope. It was a bottom of the line Bushnell. So when I traded the 742 off and got my 700 bel 270, I hunted with a low power Redfield for a couple years till I got a Leupold and that scope is still on that rifle. In the last couple years I have bought a couple rifles with Bushnel scopes that probably cost new around 300 bucks and they are fine.

·
Registered
13,207 Posts
I have vortex, 5 bushnell and a primary arms. I’d recommend any of them, with primary arms being best value when you can catch a sale. Mine was normally 349 but I got it at 199 with a free $60 mount

·
Premium Member
6,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't know anything about Primary Arms but I have seen the name and will check them out.

·
Registered
430 Posts
No experience with Swift, but have used Hawke and Vortex. I'd lean a bit more towards Vortex though between the two. Vortex clarity of glass matched or exceeded that of the Nikon optics they priced out of the market. Not to mention they have life time no questions warranties. Could be a manufacturing defect or you gave the scope to your buddy to look down and he dropped it like a klutz and broke it, they'll fix it. Durability to elements, wear and tear is good, prices often aren't too bad depending on which model you're looking at.

I'd go with the Crossfire 2 3-9x50 with the V-Brite reticle as it's illuminated and definitely helps in the fading or low light settings. Hawkes are very good but often double the price or more. If money is no object I can't say anything negative about the Hawkes, but for the same price some Hawke optics command there are other brands I'd choose over them.

·
Registered
3,132 Posts
I have some older Swift Binoculars, they are great, Don't frequently see their scopes. I suspect they would be good also.
I've seen, and viewed thru some Hawke Scopes, and was relatively impressed.
Last two scopes I've bought were Vortex. They will continue to be my first look.

Not sure, but don't think NIKON is still making rifle scopes.

·
Gatekeeper to my corner of Hell.
21,474 Posts
I have some older Swift Binoculars, they are great, Don't frequently see their scopes. I suspect they would be good also.
I've seen, and viewed thru some Hawke Scopes, and was relatively impressed.
Last two scopes I've bought were Vortex. They will continue to be my first look.

Not sure, but don't think NIKON is still making rifle scopes.
Nikon did quit making rifle scopes.

Reactions: DEADEYE 1

·
Premium Member
6,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
I bought a Burris Fullfield 50mm lens scope to have an extra scope and my hunting buddy wanted me to order him a Nikon 50 mm scope. Both of these scopes I bought on sale about 2 years ago for around 150 dollars each. My buddy that wanted the Nikon examined the Burris and liked it better. He loves it. My cousin got the Nikon on trade and now wants a scope with more low light gathering ability.
That being said, around 20 years ago I specially ordered my son a Nikon Buckmasters in 3x9x40mm when the Buckmasters was the number 2 line ahead of Prostaff. I hunted with his little 7mm08 one afternoon and the little 40mm Buckmasters was extremely bright and I killed a buck at dark thirty.
So I know that different models perform better. I really want to field test another brand and my cousin has hinted he does too.

·
Rational Anarchist
14,649 Posts
I prefer Leupold over all others. Behind them, being IMO a better bang for my buck I like Nikon and Vortex. Having a wife, three kids, and one income the best bang for my buck is very important.

·
Gatekeeper to my corner of Hell.
21,474 Posts
I just bought a Vortex Crossfire II 1x4 V-Brite, if I can't figure out why it won't zero at 200yds I'm gonna beat it with a hammer.

Reactions: DEADEYE 1

·
Premium Member
6,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
before you hammer it away, check all base and ring screws. Of course I know that you know that. Sometimes it is something minor. :)

·
Premium Member
6,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
haha. I had a Trijicon to order a part for and I have sighted in a couple rifles with Zeiss scopes and I really like the thick reticles on the Carl Zeiss Scopes. Not for a target shooting favorite but would be fine for early morning and late day deer hunting. I would like to one day own a Zeiss if I have a 1000 dollar bill to spend.

Reactions: RONIN79
1 - 20 of 22 Posts