Hbn bullet coating

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by Ppoole84, May 8, 2018.

1. Ppoole84

Ppoole84 Distinguished Poster

has anyone ever tried hbn bullet coating. I am reading up on it and it sounds really good, but all I can think of is the horror stories of moly coated bullets.

2. Joe S.

Joe S. Distinguished Poster

Clinton
    I think you put this in the classifieds, but to answer your question I’m not familiar with HBN, but I powder coat my bullets and have had excellent results with that. The moly coating does not hold up, but the powder coat seems to hold up quite well. Hope this helps.

Ppoole84 likes this.

3. Yarob

Yarob Distinguished Poster

I've had some HBN for a few months now. Haven't done a lot of testing but I have some ideas I'm going to try. I think generally people just tumble bullets in HBN and the HBN is sort of peened into the projectile. I've experimented with using melted Johnson's Paste Wax as a binder by mixing into the wax a little HBN in a plastic container, shaking to coat and then placing on wax paper to dry. It seemed to work fine but I didn't do enough of it yet to form any definite conclusions. Next I'm considering mixing a little HBN in with my regular powder coating powder and see how that might affect anything. The experiments continue for now.

phillipd and BasMstr like this.