Mississippi Gun Owners banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, as of yesterday I ordered my first T/C Contender frame. I got it for a steal on gunbroker, but now I need to figure out what I want to do barrel-wise and could use some help. I was just going to order the .223 Super-14 barrel made by T/C as my first barrel, but then I found out that the barrel has a 1:12 twist rate which wouldn't be optimal for any of the bullet weights I want to shoot (55-75gn). I have found a few custom shops (SSK, MGM, and E.A. Brown) that can make me a .223 barrel with a 1:8 or 1:9 twist like I need, but I really don't know who would be the best to buy from. Can anyone here chime in and help me out?

·
μολὼν λαβέ
35,905 Posts
I would say that helps giving multiple choices that all of you guys have had good success with.

·
Registered
6,349 Posts
Check ebay before you order. There are always a lot of Contender barrels on there. You may find what you're looking for without having to order and and wait.

If you're willing to stick with 55 grain bullets the T/C barrels can be very accurate. I've got a 10" that shoots better than most rifles. I understand wanting to shoot heavy bullets though.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Check ebay before you order. There are always a lot of Contender barrels on there. You may find what you're looking for without having to order and and wait.

If you're willing to stick with 55 grain bullets the T/C barrels can be very accurate. I've got a 10" that shoots better than most rifles. I understand wanting to shoot heavy bullets though.
I didn't see any barrels on ebay with the faster twist rate, but that's definitely going to be one of the first places I look for barrels in other calibers that I don't want a special twist or anything!

I checked into the Bullberry barrels as well, but they only offer .223 chamberings in 1:12 or 1:14 twists, so that wasn't an option.

I ended up going with an MGM barrel chambered in .223 Wylde in the end. They were about $150 less than SSK and had about the same turnaround time! I wanna give J.D. Jones some business too, but that'll probably have to wait until I'm out of college and have more financial "flexibility" :lol2:

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
I wish that I could find a holster that will tote an Encore with a 15 inch barrel. Either that or put a good sling on it.

Reactions: LearCo

·
Registered
5,135 Posts
I've heard bad things about MGM barrels fit, alot of people say they don't lock up tight.[/Q
I've heard bad things about MGM barrels fit, alot of people say they don't lock up tight.
I have never heard anything bad about MGM barrels. Even Mike Bellm recommended them.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Ruler2, Just some info. Not sure of your area, but Van's has some used TC Contender barrels you can probably get at a fair price. They don't have them out front, but you can ask at the gun counter.

·
Registered
12,462 Posts
I'm driving now but y'all must have missed my rants about MGM over the years??? I will never recommend or use them ever. I'll type it out later.

·
Registered
4,036 Posts
I'm going to go out on a limb here and just assume that it being 4 years since the OP asked the question; he either has already bought a barrel or has given up on it by now. :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts