Mississippi Gun Owners banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody out there own/shoot any of these rifles? Definalty a cool gun and something to add to the collection but what are some complaints for those who own one?

·
μολὼν λαβέ
35,445 Posts
Got one of the Charter Arms models before Henry ever started producing them. They are a decent rifle. I need a new stock , broke mine somehow and a rear peep. They want win no accuracy contest but are minute of rabbit at 20-25 yards.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Saw one on the used rack at vans a couple of days ago, seems like it was $299.
That seems a little pricey, I've seen them brand new going for about 250-275 and on the used market I've seen then as low as 180 range. Maybe I've just gotten lucky with prices but never managed to pick one up.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not really made for survival like the A7 but I have the 10-22 takedown which is nice and compact.
I love those Rugers, I bought one a few months back and have the magpul backpacker stock for it, honestly of I had to choose the ruger or the Henry I would argue and say the ruger is the better survival gun. The A7 seems to be a product of its era which nothing wrong with it but still neat to own.

·
Registered
4,016 Posts
Owned a few AR-7s in my day; sold them all. Looking for the right 10/22 take down now. All around better rifle

Reactions: Mesquite

·
Lord of Butt Hurt - \m/
1,125 Posts
I bought the camo model a few years ago. It is a neat design and concept but I found it to be cheaply made. Some of the metal parts seemed like they were made of pot metal and most of the gun is plastic. It was not very accurate at all. It was somewhat reliable and did float as advertised. For me I just did not have much confidence in it to last very long and my overall opinion was that it fit best in the toy category. Sold it pretty quick after about 200-300 rounds.

·
Premium Member
6,134 Posts
I bought one from a friend that is a dealer a few years ago. I think that he ordered it for someone else that did not pick it up. I like it but I have never shot it. I figured if I shot it the value would decrease. They come with two magazines and float which is neat.

Reactions: JohnDeere

·
Gatekeeper to my corner of Hell.
20,028 Posts
Only one I ever shot was an original ArmaLite AR-7, friend's dad keep in his boat. Felt cheap wasn't very accurate, not one of Eugene Stoners best design efforts.

·
Premium Member
6,806 Posts
I bought the camo model a few years ago. It is a neat design and concept but I found it to be cheaply made. Some of the metal parts seemed like they were made of pot metal and most of the gun is plastic. It was not very accurate at all. It was somewhat reliable and did float as advertised. For me I just did not have much confidence in it to last very long and my overall opinion was that it fit best in the toy category. Sold it pretty quick after about 200-300 rounds.
@Cliff731 what the hell do you do with a gun that floats when you go boating?

·
Premium Member
6,134 Posts
If you need a big cork to spot where the boat sank; ye-haw. All you need is a good anchor and plenty parachute cord. Or cord and big hooks for fishing. All jokes aside Henry makes good products. If I sell some of my other 22 rifles, I will probably shoot mine.
Be my luck I would be drowning and somebody would throw me a Henry A-7 that Rigrat had modified the buttstock on/ no more floating.;)

·
Registered
172 Posts
I bought an original Armalite AR-7's at the PX in 1970. Had problems with the front sight blade being loose and sent the barrel back and they sent a new one. Took the side plate off of the receiver and cleaned and polished the sear and used a liberal amount of Lubriplate on anything that looked like it could move. This was primarily a moisture displacement move on my part.
Never had any problems with failure to feed, failure to fire or extraction issues, but always kept the bolt cleaned and oiled.
It always digested any brand of .22LR that I loaded in it.
I spent some time fine tuning the rear sight but accuracy was random at best, not a tack driver.
Dave

·
Registered
21 Posts
Have one as a novelty gun for long trips. It is compact and takes up almost no space. Good for kayak trips too. Heck, it is a survival rifle. It shoots fine on the range in spite of my old eyes.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts