Mississippi Gun Owners banner

hensley and gibbs

3K views 19 replies 6 participants last post by  SubGunFan 
#1 ·
i got my first hensley and gibbs bullet mold today! im pumped up about it i just hope the wife dont find out how much it cost me! lol
38spl swc #73 six banger... was the most accurate shooting swc mold of its time

See less See more
#8 ·
ok its show and tell time!

this pile was done in about an hour. they are averaging in weight at 147gr and size at .359.. o and believe it or not but i actually had to start using that lead hammer i made lol and sometimes it would take two or three wacks.

#12 ·
i frosted a few sets on accident.. forgot to turn pot off of high. I like how the sprue is designed with the valley in it. with my lyman's you gotta put the cavity hole right under the dispensing hole on your pot. Pour, stop, move to next hole... with this mold once it gets good and warm put it on the center hole and fill the whole thing up and it works like a ice tray filling each cavity..

#15 ·
The cavity fills more efficiently, if you pour the lead into the center of the hole above each cavity and move the mould backward . I start and stop the lead flow over each hole in the sprue cutter. Also, use 2 moulds and you will never get frosted bullets.

I have been moulding bullets since about 1956-57.

Doug

#16 ·
I start at the back hole (farthest from you) and with one continous pour steady push the mold forward. This only works well if you have a mold guide on the pot. The mold guide takes the weight of the mold off of you and holds the mold at a constant distance from the spout.

Flow rate is important with this method. As the pot gets lower I adjust the flow rate screw.

You will see my method (madness) Saturday....... :)

#18 ·
I got my 200 all sized and lubed ... only have about 50 empty pieces of brass at the moment ... got 1200 loaded on the bench ... need to go burn a couple 100 so I can load them there new boolits!

#19 ·
SubGunFan said:
I start at the back hole (farthest from you) and with one continous pour steady push the mold forward. .
Exactly how I TRY to do it!! Seems to work best this way ...

#20 ·
Loaded 38spl round............ S W E E T ! ! !

Big J. you are killing me......... I have almost 500 of your nice H&G 38cal bullets ready to load, but the 550 is setup for 40 S&W and I still have about 700 40cal bullets to size/lube and load. I need to find the TIME............ :(

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.