High visibility follower for Mossberg 590 series

Discussion in 'Optics and Accessories' started by Scharfschütze, Nov 16, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Scharfschütze

Scharfschütze Waffennarr

Looking for a high visibility follower for Mossberg 590 series (should be same as 500) for 590 and 590 shockwave. They're readily available for the Remington 870 series but I've wasted a lot of time searching online, wondering if anyone has ever found one. I've reached out to Mossberg as well, no response yet. Thanks in advance, Danke im Voraus!

Cliff731 likes this.

2. Cliff731

Cliff731 Danged ole' Hermit...

3. Scharfschütze

Scharfschütze Waffennarr

Thanks guys for some reason my search engine got neither and I gave up wading through Brownells website!

94LEVERFAN, maxhush and Cliff731 like this.
  4. Cliff731

Scharfschütze, if you call Choate directly and order this polymer part, they will drop it into a padded mailing envelope and send it to you via USPS First Class Mail for a fraction of their normal UPS "ground" standard shipping charge, which shows to be $13.26.

You just have to request this. Choate's friendly customer service rep did this for me earlier in the year for a small metal part I ordered... :)

(501) 724-6193; Mon-Fri: 7:00 am - 3:30 pm CST, (closed weekends and holidays)

5. Scharfschütze

Scharfschütze Waffennarr

Thanks, good to know...unfortunately I already ordered 2 and the $13.26 is more than the cost of 2 followers. I will call tomorrow to see if I can change the order. Thanks again!! I know the postage on a padded envelope would be less than $3!

94LEVERFAN and Cliff731 like this.
  6. Scharfschütze

Scharfschütze Waffennarr

Well they arrived yesterday. Didn't catch them in time to save on shipping though. And tried one in the 590. The follower has a 'shank'. According to the advertising "...the shank on the follower prevents you from crushing your magazine spring by trying to insert one too many shells. We think very few, if any shooters have the composure to count their shells in a combat situation." (Is it just me or does that not sound just a wee bit condescending??)
    Well the shank jammed in the tube and prevented me from loading the 8th round in the 590. Had to take it apart again just to get the spring, follower, and shells out. I plan to cut off the shank and hollow out what's left of the follower with a drill, that should work. If anyone made a simple high visibility follower like those made for the 870 by Wilson combat (IIRC, been a while since I bought mine) they could sell a ton of them, especially with the popularity of the "shockwave" version of the Mossberg 500 series. I'm now thinking also about finding a way to paint the OEM follower in high visibiliy green or orange, just not sure what kind of paint would stick. Ideas for this are welcome.
    In summary I can't really recommend this product.

Cliff731 likes this.
  7. Cliff731

Scharfschütze... I'm glad to have seen your report on this follower... I was about to order one!

8. jakeg823

jakeg823 Distinguished Poster

Richland
    Just now saw this thread or I would've warned you that you'd lose a round. I'd try cutting off the excess and see what happens before I bothered with anything else.

Cliff731 and Scharfschütze like this.
  9. Scharfschütze

Scharfschütze Waffennarr

It's sturdy polymer; I believe if I eliminate the "shank" and bore a hole to nest the end of the magazine spring (it's got a small end) it should function well.

Cliff731 and jakeg823 like this.
  10. jakeg823

jakeg823 Distinguished Poster

Richland
    Definitely post your results if you do. I never understood the reasoning behind why you had to choose between a high viz follower and full capacity.

FWIW, I like Choate. Friendly CS in my experience, but I'll never forget when I had my 930 and they couldn't figure out what nut to send with my stock. They must've sent 5 or 6 and every one of them was too big to fit inside of their own stock.

Scharfschütze and Cliff731 like this.
  11. Scharfschütze

Scharfschütze Waffennarr

Will post my results but it may be Sunday afternoon before I get around to my planned modifications.

jakeg823 likes this.