Mississippi Gun Owners banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
@Ellis93 @Valspar
Just saw on the news about a flash flood causing a section of Highway 26 to collapse in Lucedale.
News mentioned 2 fatalities and 10 injuries. Y'all OK?

Reactions: Valspar

·
Premium Member
15,683 Posts
Seen the article about it earlier. Not cool. That’s over on the west side of George county,in the river flats between Benndale and Crossroads areas.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Just saw it. That's about 10 miles N/NE of us - but that's the route we take when we go to Amite, LA to shoot.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
That’s like real close to my moms place…I don’t under how the road washed out there. That’s top of a hill..that’s crazy…

·
Premium Member
15,683 Posts
Not even a culvert there
Sure there was……..probably either stopped up with crap or something farther up ruptured……like a pond dam or something of the like.
Natural landscape Horizon Landscape Cumulus Mountain
Plant Plant community Slope Natural landscape Wood
Sky Plant Natural landscape Tree Land lot
Atmosphere Natural landscape Highland Tree Sky

If you zoom in on that culvert mouth you’ll see it’s got something in it. What……I have no idea.

Every time it rains heavy down here,you wind up having to avoid water pockets on the road from the poor drainage. Water runs down the road and not to the ditch……if there is a ditch at all. Hwy26 has almost no shoulder between the Central/Shady Grove area and after the river bridge in Benndale. It almost does the same thing. Hwy63,198,and old 63 all have issues,no telling how many times I’ve busted mini lakes on Old Mobile And depo road. No one in the supervisors office or MDOT pays any attention to the problems. I’ve contacted my supervisor about more than a few road drainage issues and I’m ignored each time.

Idk how hard it is for someone,anyone that is involved in any kind of road maintenance to ride around while it’s raining and observe how the water drains. Doesn’t really seem that complicated for the supervisors to actually do that. Hell,we supply them with a few year old 4 door GM truck and 55k a year……seems they could at least pay some attention to it. Their time could actually be more beneficial to their constituents by doing that than arguing amongst themselves over the schools,sheriffs department,and jail budgets.

But……hey,wth do I know.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Crap…that’s crazy..I went to school with the lee boy that died there…years ago that church burnt to the ground by lightning in a heavy rainstorm

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Sure there was……..probably either stopped up with crap or something farther up ruptured……like a pond dam or something of the like.
View attachment 277972 View attachment 277973 View attachment 277974 View attachment 277975
If you zoom in on that culvert mouth you’ll see it’s got something in it. What……I have no idea.

Every time it rains heavy down here,you wind up having to avoid water pockets on the road from the poor drainage. Water runs down the road and not to the ditch……if there is a ditch at all. Hwy26 has almost no shoulder between the Central/Shady Grove area and after the river bridge in Benndale. It almost does the same thing. Hwy63,198,and old 63 all have issues,no telling how many times I’ve busted mini lakes on Old Mobile And depo road. No one in the supervisors office or MDOT pays any attention to the problems. I’ve contacted my supervisor about more than a few road drainage issues and I’m ignored each time.

Idk how hard it is for someone,anyone that is involved in any kind of road maintenance to ride around while it’s raining and observe how the water drains. Doesn’t really seem that complicated for the supervisors to actually do that. Hell,we supply them with a few year old 4 door GM truck and 55k a year……seems they could at least pay some attention to it. Their time could actually be more beneficial to their constituents by doing that than arguing amongst themselves over the schools,sheriffs department,and jail budgets.

But……hey,wth do I know.
That’s very true…I didn’t think of that….our road crews are exactly the same up here in Simpson county

·
Gatekeeper to my corner of Hell.
22,743 Posts

But……hey,wth do I know.
Looks like they had problems with it washing in 2018 when the google map picture was taken

·
Premium Member
15,683 Posts
Looks like they had problems with it washing in 2018 when the google map picture was taken View attachment 277980
I had heard that as well. That culvert Could have been undermined and the water just run around the outside.
I just hope that someone comes out and says something if this is the cause of something that was ignored by the MDOT.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I had heard that as well. That culvert Could have been undermined and the water just run around the outside.
I just hope that someone comes out and says something if this is the cause of something that was ignored by the MDOT.
My faith in George County supervisors/MDOT doing the right thing is about on par with the likelihood of current national level politicians doing the right thing...

·
Registered
6,914 Posts
View attachment 277972 View attachment 277973 View attachment 277974 View attachment 277975

But……hey,wth do I know.
Ellis that sounds like a letter to the editor. Is there a local paper? Would writing the Hattiesburg American help?
Put that up on the county FB page, city FB page, County page / county supervisor's page, etc. You'd only have to use cut & paste. I'll volunteer to proof & edit if you want (via PM).

·
Premium Member
15,683 Posts
Ellis that sounds like a letter to the editor. Is there a local paper? Would writing the Hattiesburg American help?
Put that up on the county FB page, city FB page, County page / county supervisor's page, etc. You'd only have to use cut & paste. I'll volunteer to proof & edit if you want (via PM).
Man I know 3 of the 5 supervisors and have spoke directly to two of them. My shop is in beat 3 and my home is in beat 1. Both of those I have had conversations with. If that didn’t do anything I’m not sure I’d have anything other than ill results from going public. Seeing as I have a public presence as a local business…….I don’t need that.

I found out this afternoon that one of the vehicles that went off in that was piloted by the daughter of a friend and customer of mine. Last name Jamison of Benndale. She is in really bad shape.
This both makes me sad and pissed off at the same time. I hope someone with direct knowledge comes forward on that wash out.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts