Mississippi Gun Owners banner
21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,921 Posts
Man I know 3 of the 5 supervisors and have spoke directly to two of them. My shop is in beat 3 and my home is in beat 1. Both of those I have had conversations with. If that didn’t do anything I’m not sure I’d have anything other than ill results from going public. Seeing as I have a public presence as a local business…….I don’t need that.

I found out this afternoon that one of the vehicles that went off in that was piloted by the daughter of a friend and customer of mine. Last name Jamison of Benndale. She is in really bad shape.
This both makes me sad and pissed off at the same time. I hope someone with direct knowledge comes forward on that wash out.
A friend of the Jamison's, here in Vancleave checked with family while i was at his shop, think he said she was back in surgery. Praying for her.
Wife, just read a post from her Mother, that Layla did respond enough this evening too squeeze her hand.

·
Premium Member
15,753 Posts
A friend of the Jamison's, here in Vancleave checked with family while i was at his shop, think he said she was back in surgery. Praying for her.
Really good people. I know both senior and junior Bobby’s………their families don’t need this at all. Mom has some of Sr’s gliders on the front porch lol

·
Don't let "good enough" be the enemy of perfect.
11,126 Posts
I looked at the area on Google Satellite and Street views. I am not sure what the riprap is on the edge of the pavement. I'm thinking that water has been running across the road instead of through the culvert.

The culvert in the damage photos appears to have been deep under the highway---not just beneath the asphalt.

It looks strange though. The north side of the roadbed is fairly high and the south side drops downward steeply.

Link

·
Registered
6,948 Posts
Man I know 3 of the 5 supervisors and have spoke directly to two of them. My shop is in beat 3 and my home is in beat 1. Both of those I have had conversations with. If that didn’t do anything I’m not sure I’d have anything other than ill results from going public. Seeing as I have a public presence as a local business…….I don’t need that.

I found out this afternoon that one of the vehicles that went off in that was piloted by the daughter of a friend and customer of mine. Last name Jamison of Benndale. She is in really bad shape.
This both makes me sad and pissed off at the same time. I hope someone with direct knowledge comes forward on that wash out.
I understand Ellis, as a business owner you are a target any way, no need to attract additional attention. But my point was not to try to persuade the supervisors with your argument, but to shame them into action by attracting publicity to their (1)incompetence or (2) negligence or (3) both. You are correct though, if it comes from you, your business might start to experience negative consequences, to put it politely. Get someone else to stand up though on their soapbox and embarrass these people into action or having their "photo taken off the wall" ie not being reelected! WDAM likes a good scandal, I bet someone could get them to point fingers at those 2 supt.s you mention.
If this isn't a windmill at which you wish to tilt in person, I encourage you to find someone who can do so. I know, easy for me to type some 4 counties away, but I think you know what I mean.

·
Registered
6,948 Posts
I looked at the area on Google Satellite and Street views. I am not sure what the riprap is on the edge of the pavement. I'm thinking that water has been running across the road instead of through the culvert.

The culvert in the damage photos appears to have been deep under the highway---not just beneath the asphalt.

It looks strange though. The north side of the roadbed is fairly high and the south side drops downward steeply.

View attachment 277999

View attachment 278000

View attachment 278001

Link
Is that a patch for previous damage? IF SO, and if the official(s) responsible for maintaining that stretch aren't held accountable, that would be a serious travesty.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Is that a patch for previous damage? IF SO, and if the official(s) responsible for maintaining that stretch aren't held accountable, that would be a serious travesty.
I was told, not too long ago, that the county is NEVER listed as responsible when dealing with automobile accidents/property damage.

I can tell you from recent experience that this appears to be all too true. I'd be happy to discuss off-line but nothing that I'm going to put on a public forum.

·
Premium Member
15,753 Posts
I was told, not too long ago, that the county is NEVER listed as responsible when dealing with automobile accidents/property damage.

I can tell you from recent experience that this appears to be all too true. I'd be happy to discuss off-line but nothing that I'm going to put on a public forum.
It’s definitely “who you know” and what your last name is. In 41 years of “experience”,I can tell you without 1oz of doubt…….it’s 100% fact.

·
Registered
204 Posts
It’s definitely “who you know” and what your last name is. In 41 years of “experience”,I can tell you without 1oz of doubt…….it’s 100% fact.
Take a ride down Mt Pleasant from 63. Just past Don Barton Rd in the 90 degree bend. The subsurface is doing the same thing.

·
μολὼν λαβέ
39,499 Posts
Exactly I am dealing with the same crap from my supervisor.

·
Premium Member
15,753 Posts
There’s a guy on Facebook with a video of water still running up from the bottom of that pit. Speculating that it’s a spring…….? On a hill? In a road bed that’s been there from 1932?
🐂💩.

·
μολὼν λαβέ
39,499 Posts
There’s a guy on Facebook with a video of water still running up from the bottom of that pit. Speculating that it’s a spring…….? On a hill? In a road bed that’s been there from 1932?
🐂💩.
Allot of the land I have and around me run like springs after allot of rain. Think my step-dad called them wet springs or something. I know I have found to holes different places on my property. Each is a hole about 1" diameter that when it rains allot runs water like a garden hose. That may be the case with the running water there, just speculating.

·
Registered
204 Posts
🐂💩.
None of the emoticons really fit my thoughts on this...

One thing's for sure, the water is coming from SOMEWHERE.

Another thing, as long as there's water flowing they can't just back-fill and repave.

Since we're all speculating (for now), I don't think a spring just suddenly appeared. I guess it could, but...

Another possibility is a leaking water main if there's county water in the area. A small leak in the main could travel quite a ways underground before it surfaces.

·
Registered
6,948 Posts
Allot of the land I have and around me run like springs after allot of rain. Think my step-dad called them wet springs or something. I know I have found to holes different places on my property. Each is a hole about 1" diameter that when it rains allot runs water like a garden hose. That may be the case with the running water there, just speculating.
There are several of these on the land surrounding ours. Looks like there's a broken pipe underground. I've marked them and gone back to show the w*fe or kids only to find nothing coming out, they dry up relatively fast. But while they're running, they're running a lot of water.

·
μολὼν λαβέ
39,499 Posts
There are several of these on the land surrounding ours. Looks like there's a broken pipe underground. I've marked them and gone back to show the w*fe or kids only to find nothing coming out, they dry up relatively fast. But while they're running, they're running a lot of water.
Exactly I think there small underground passages that the rain water funnels through when there is enough rain. This summer has been extremely wet and that hasn't helped.

·
μολὼν λαβέ
39,499 Posts
I hate to hear that. Makes me really worry about them stealing my gas.

·
Registered
6,948 Posts
@Ellis93 there was an engineer scheduled to speak on MPB "Mississippi Edition" this morning about this washout. I missed it but will listen to the podcast later, you should too. Palazzo was on Supertalk with Gallo this morning and he mentioned it as well, perhaps you could get his office involved? Not sure if he can / will help, I've heard mixed opinions as to whether he is a good congresscritter. If there even is such a creature.

·
Premium Member
10,921 Posts
I can show you a spring on side of Wade/Vancleave rd, generally seeps year rd. I Do Not believe a spring WASHED out the road; however, if it had caused some deterioration: then Boom, the Massive rainfall, breaching rd & undercutting, could definitely have caused. But ,as i stated earlier. Thats a State highway, MDOT should have caught that. Whose the State representative for that area & state senator, Forgot name of the MDOT Commisioner for S. Miss.

·
Don't let "good enough" be the enemy of perfect.
11,126 Posts
The most useless article yet on the George County road wash-out:

‘Water is a powerful creature’: Road expert shares power of rain after deadly washout in George Co.

An expert says that water runs downhill and can wash dirt away. Wow!

The following is indicative of a government bureaucracy:
---------------------------
Mississippi Department of Transportation nor Mississippi Department of Public Safety has yet to release details of what caused the George County road to wash out, but it happened following heaving rains from Ida.
----------------------------

I guess they are too busy trimming trees 200 feet off the road on Highway 49.

21 - 40 of 54 Posts