Mississippi Gun Owners banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
17,471 Posts
If this goes down like anything else those jackwagons have tried lately, the bill will be useless (perhaps even counterproductive) by the time it gets out of committee. It's a good idea but I have ZERO confidence that they'll actually get it done.
And while they're doing that, NY wants to prohibit the sale of any handgun that could be operated by a 5 year old. And S&W is in bed with them.

Prohibits persons, firms or corporations engaged in the retail business of selling firearms from selling, delivering or transferring child operated firearms; defines “child operated firearm” to mean a pistol or revolver manufactured 1 year after the effective date of these provisions which does not contain a childproofing device or mechanism incorporated into the design of such pistol or revolver to effectively preclude an average 5-year-old from firing same; makes violations a class A misdemeanor.

You Won't Believe The Legislation New York Democrats Are Pushing Now
And S&W is in bed with them.

SUMMARY OF SPECIFIC PROVISIONS :

This bill would prohibit the sale of pistols or revolvers by any
person, firm or corporation in the retail business of selling guns
which does not contain child proofing features built into the design
of the gun. The prohibition would apply to pistols or revolvers
manufactured twelve or more months after the effective date of the
bill. Design features could include the capacity to adjust the trigger
resistance of the gun to at least a ten pound pull, the capacity to
alter the firing mechanism so- that an average five year old child's
hand would be too small to operate the gun, or the capacity to require
a series of multiple motions in order to fire the gun. A violation of this provision would be a class A misdemeanor.

EFFECTS OF PRESENT LAW WHICH THIS BILL WOULD ALTER :

There is no requirement that pistol or revolvers contain child
proofing design features for such guns.

JUSTIFICATION :

According to the Archives of Pediatrics and Adolescent Medicine, 85%
of 3 to 4 year olds are strong enough to pull the trigger of a gun - a
recipe for disaster. But such tragedies involving young children can
be prevented; the technology to do so is readily available. In a
historic agreement recently reached between Smith & Wesson and the
Departments of the Treasury and Housing and Urban Development, Local
Governments and States, Smith & Wesson agreed that, within a 12 month
period, all of its handguns will be designed so that they cannot be
readily operated by a child under 6. This bill will have the effect of
ensuring that all handguns sold at retail in New York will meet the
standards agreed to by Smith & Wesson.

NY State Senate Bill S3444

·
Registered
6,706 Posts
The crappy 27 pound triggers in S&W's new revolvers already meet that requirement. All this time I just assumed it was due to sloppy manufacturing practices. Anywho.... no more S&W for me.

As for New York, making one's self more vulnerable to victimization is a personal choice. I'm not going to stand in their way.

·
Curmudgeon extraordinaire
8,084 Posts
victimization is a personal choice. I'm not going to stand in their way.
Amen!
Your personal safety is your personal responsibility.
Oh well,

Reactions: 1010 and Mesquite

·
Super Moderator
9,037 Posts
Speaking of their last deal with the devil, isn't the "lock" on S&W revolvers already "childproof"? Heck, if New Yorkers kept it "locked", it would even be "adult proof".

·
Registered
17,471 Posts
Didn't S&W learn anything from their last fiasco deal with the devil???
Relative to the NY bill, the sponsor is using the S&W agreement to try to force all manufacturers to either implement the "child proof" designs or stop selling handguns in NY state. If the bill passes, Ruger and others will have some financial decisions to make. I'm not betting they would all be willing to write off the NY market. And NY would not be the only state to try the same tactic.

·
Registered
17,471 Posts
Speaking of their last deal with the devil, isn't the "lock" on S&W revolvers already "childproof"? Heck, if New Yorkers kept it "locked", it would even be "adult proof".
It's not just S&W wheel guns they are talking about. It's all handguns of any make, model or manufacturer.

·
μολὼν λαβέ
39,499 Posts
Relative to the NY bill, the sponsor is using the S&W agreement to try to force all manufacturers to either implement the "child proof" designs or stop selling handguns in NY state. If the bill passes, Ruger and others will have some financial decisions to make. I'm not betting they would all be willing to write off the NY market. And NY would not be the only state to try the same tactic.
They all should write off the NY market, including law enforcement agencies. I'd bet afetr a year or two NY would have a change of heart or really love the S&W's they have made a deal with.

·
Premium Member
27,265 Posts
So ...

How many firearms manufacturers based there will finally leave NY state over this?

How many firearms manufacturers will refuse to sell to NY state customers over this?

I guess we'll see ... Or not.

·
Registered
17,471 Posts
They all should write off the NY market, including law enforcement agencies. I'd bet afetr a year or two NY would have a change of heart or really love the S&W's they have made a deal with.
That would be falling into the trap. After new handguns, then new long guns, then retrofit of older guns, then turn 'em all in America. That is the ultimate goal. We can't let them move the ball an inch in that direction.

·
μολὼν λαβέ
39,499 Posts
It sounds like S&W already moved that ball a inch in that direction. Its up to the other manufactures to leave NY to its own devices and no longer deal with them. Not doing business with them because they want stupid stuff is a good message to send NY.

·
Registered
6,161 Posts
Kahr and other manufacturers are located in NY state and
should move out as fast as possible, then let NY find out
what happens when no manufacturer will assist them when
they have an issue, Barrett did the same with Kalifornia.

·
Premium Member
27,265 Posts
Kahr and other manufacturers are located in NY state and
should move out as fast as possible, then let NY find out
what happens when no manufacturer will assist them when
they have an issue, Barrett did the same with Kalifornia.

Just purchased a Kahr Arms product -- before the unfortunate boating accident -- I hope they move out of NY! (Actually, I thought they were based in MA and PA ...)

·
Registered
6,161 Posts
^^^THIS^^^

Unless they have moved, I believe they are in Yonkers, NY
and Kimber is in NY as well I believe. I stand partially corrected,
Kahr's website says that the corporate headquarters are in
Blauvelt, NY but that the manufacturing is done in Worcester
MA. As to Kimber, they are in Yonkers, NY although finding
that out from their website was tough, I had to poke around
a while until I got to the "Careers" section that listed where
job openings were for.

Reactions: 7557

·
Premium Member
27,265 Posts
^^^THIS^^^

Unless they have moved, I believe they are in Yonkers, NY
and Kimber is in NY as well I believe.
My Kahr Arms "product" is stamped Worcester MA. Purchased new in 04/2017. Kahr Arms needs to move its corporate HQ out of Blauvelt NY then IMO.

But if they are in NY state, they should move. Mississippi should/would welcome them!

Kahr Arms Factory

130 Goddard Memorial Drive
Worcester, MA 01603

105 Kahr Ave.
Greeley, PA 18425

Mailing / Shipping Address:
130 Goddard Memorial Dr.
Worcester, MA 01603

Mailing / Shipping Address:
105 Kahr Ave.
Greeley, PA 18425

Kimber Arms is still a bit too pricey for me ... for now.

·
Premium Member
27,265 Posts
Just watched a business commercial for doing business in NY on the Fox Business Network.

The Lou Dobbs show.

No mention of firearms manufacturers there, of course, but "gag me with a spoon" ... Seriously?

·
Premium Member
1,745 Posts
Smith & Wesson has been agreeing to this kind of crap for a very long time. Either people don't care, or they don't know.

Here's one from March, 2000. It didn't make it into law, but NY keeps trying. And S&W keeps kissing their ass.

Smith & Wesson Settlement Agreement
FRIDAY, MARCH 17, 2000
NRA-ILA | Smith & Wesson Settlement Agreement

1 - 20 of 26 Posts