How much ammo is "enough"

Discussion in 'Survival/Preparedness/Self Sufficiency' started by Ellis93, Apr 30, 2018.

1. Ellis93

Ellis93 Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

We all have an opinion,a standard we go by for everything in our lives. Whatever item/object/entity is,if it doesn't live up to our expectations or desires we usually try to either deal with it or mold it into what we want......if not ditch it completely.
    No two of us are exactly the same in that aspect of our lives. We may parallel on some things but definitely not all.
    I know this and with the recent news articles calling 1k rounds a "stockpile" (to which i scoffed at),what are y'alls opinion here?
    What's too much? How many rounds are you comfortable possessing?

I know my own opinion on this.......until I have no room to store it,for each caliber lol

phillipd, Dave, Chicknman and 8 others like this.
  2. Jarhead5811

Jarhead5811 Rational Anarchist MSGO Supporter

One hell of a lot more than I currently have and I’d be embarrassed if I made the news and only had 1000 rounds.

SLBcmtr, phillipd, Dave and 9 others like this.

3. onlymaroonmatters

onlymaroonmatters Eat Sleep Jeep & Guns MSGO Supporter

Laurel
    If know exactly how much you have, it's not enough.

4. TheBouncer1111

TheBouncer1111 Distinguished Poster

when you have "enough" ammo.....I need one box more

5. cs700

cs700 Distinguished Poster

If you have more ammo than it takes to fill a CA/NY mag then you're "stockpiling". If you're stockpiling then you might be a potential threat.
    I'm doing the "Barney Fife" thing & keeping my 1 bullet in my pocket. :D

6. turable.shot

turable.shot Distinguished Poster

My levels, seems to revolve around the opinions of whoever happens to be in the White House.
    I'd say, I have been making hay, while the Sun shines. (because it won't always shine)

7. GunnyGene

GunnyGene Distinguished Poster

I have what most folks would consider to be a "go box" that will hold about 50lbs of ammo in assorted calibers. If it were filled only with 12 gauge it would be a lot fewer rounds than if filled with .22lr. I keep it full or mostly full, and really have only a general idea of total round count or caliber count. I suppose my answer to the question then, is that I'm comfy with approx. 50lbs (minimum) of assorted ammo that covers all my guns.

phillipd, Dave, rigrat and 2 others like this.
  8. Dave

Dave Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

There is a little difference between if I have to carry it with me and just keeping some stored for future use. As long as the house doesn't start leaning too much all is good.

phillipd, Blondie70, melmerf and 4 others like this.
  9. gunsinger

gunsinger Distinguished Poster

Petal, MS
    For me, my target is 1k rounds of defensive round per caliber. That's my goal. Not there in all calibers.

phillipd, Blondie70, Dave and 6 others like this.
  10. TwangBanger

TwangBanger Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

11. Mesquite

Mesquite Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

Theres no way to Carry enough when traveling (short of 18wheeler, which would that be enough if truly caught away from home in SHFo_O).
    What is most rds fired in a civilian setting-civilian & LEO, gun fight anyone can recall here: 50, 100,200, 400??

phillipd and rigrat like this.
  12. GunnyGene

Just to be a wise A, all ammo is fundamentally multi-tasking. ;):)

phillipd, gunsinger, Dave and 3 others like this.
  13. GunnyGene

I think the most fired is likely well north of 2k. Thinking back to that LA shootout '97 when the cops had to borrow some AR's from a local gunshop.

14. onlymaroonmatters

onlymaroonmatters Eat Sleep Jeep & Guns MSGO Supporter

Laurel
    Love it

On fire or swimming. Only two times can have too much.

phillipd, Dave, Mesquite and 2 others like this.
  15. oO_Rogue_Oo

oO_Rogue_Oo Distinguished Poster

That is the goal I started with a while back for common calibers that you would expect such as 9mm, 45acp, 40 s&w, 22lr 5.56, 308, 300blk, etc. Hunting calibers such as 270, 35 Whelen, etc I like to have 100 loaded and components for 500. As a reloader I just never stop the press; when I have time I go into my little room and start churning out SOME sort of ammo. That said when I reached the 1K mark, I raised it to 5K, when I hit that I raised it to 10K. Still working on that, but I'll get there. I may stop there though. Reason? Believe it or not, weight. I can't really put ammo cans all over the house; and having so much weight in one room has begun to concern me.

phillipd, Blondie70, Dave and 4 others like this.
  16. fordpkup

fordpkup Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

I am scoffing also.:lol1:

SLBcmtr, phillipd, Blondie70 and 4 others like this.
  17. senilking

senilking Distinguished Poster

Pontotoc
    Not sure what too much would be, but I used to blow through a brick of 22's just wandering the woods with my revolver. Never wondered why I can't hear nor why my gun finally wore out. When I hear about a stockpile of 1k, I just laugh remember carrying around 550 and expecting to come home empty. I sat there and shot a coke can all over the woods until I couldn't really find much of it anymore, just because I was a teenage guy with a gun and unlimited ammo.

doctor duck, phillipd, Dave and 2 others like this.
  18. vr1967

vr1967 Rooinek Amerikaanse

I need remedial math, as this is part of my stack of EMPTY Ammo cans lol

B97FE17A-70C0-4EE0-8BF9-20620C4E7E70.jpeg

phillipd, Blondie70, Dave and 4 others like this.
  19. Canman

Canman Distinguished Poster

Brandon
    The last 22 scare caught me off guard. I have picked up over 10000 rounds in the last two months.
    Since my nine year old daughter shot almost 500 rounds at our last range trip I’m going to keep adding to the pill so she or my future grand children will have enough to shot well after I’m gone.
    As far as my other calibers bring on them zombies!

20. rigrat

rigrat Semper Fi

I’ve said that I would stock 25k of 22’s. But I need to get off my butt because I am a long way off right now. The other calibers in handgun and rifle I’d like min 1k, in my AR I’d like a min of 2-3k.

Which all this reminds me I need to take inventory.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2018
    phillipd, Dave, Canman and 1 other person like this.