close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

How to handle a traffic stop with a concealed carry gun

Discussion in 'Mississippi Concealed Carry' started by TwangBanger, Oct 16, 2017.

Tags:
  1. NRA_guy

NRA_guy Distinguished Poster

My daughter was stopped in Louisiana and asked for her "license and registration".

She had her license, but had no idea what a "registration" was.

Nor did I when she told me about it.

Your vehicle's registration is NOT your car title nor is it your car tag.

It's that piece of paper that you get with your tag decal attached when you renew your tag.

Next time you get a tag decal, before you throw it away read the piece of paper closely and I think you will see that it says "Registration".

In Mississippi they never ask for it, but in Louisiana they do---at least some times.

2. jakeg823

jakeg823 Distinguished Poster

I've always kept that in my glovebox and a copy at home just in case. I've been pulled over several times over the years, but never out of state, so it's never been an issue.

3. Caleb C

Caleb C Distinguished Poster

Lake, MS
    I have a heavy foot so it leads to being invited to have road-side conversations from time to time. It's never a problem and I can't remember the last time it has lead to a speeding ticket. This is easy in Mississippi. Just don't be a complete tool and things usually turn out just fine.

Several years ago a friend and I were making some deliveries and pickups. We'd been working on some guns for a few people. We had a least 6 long guns and at least as many pistols between the two of us. We were stopped at a road block and were both a little concerned about how things would go down. What made the whole thing look unusual was the fact that we were in a two-seater roadster and my buddy was holding all of the long guns over on the passenger side. The officer bent over and looked inside the tiny car. He just smiled, shook his head and said "I'm glad yall are carrying. It makes my job easier." That might have gone down a little differently in some other places.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2017
  4. NRA_guy

NRA_guy Distinguished Poster

Whatever happened to the guy who was stopped somewhere in Mississippi while he had "an arsenal" of guns in his car?

Seems like it was somewhere north of I-20.

That was all over the news when it happened, but I never saw how it was resolved.

Anybody know?

5. dzavoina

dzavoina Active Member

That's not exactly correct. My truck is registered to a different name than my DL and CCW, an officer would not know in my case.
    Dave

rigrat and Jarhead5811 like this.
  6. patchz

patchz Court Jester

It's associated with your drivers license, not the license plate on the vehicle, or at least that's how it used to be.

7. dzavoina

dzavoina Active Member

Folks are saying that the officer knows that you have a permit by running your license plate, I'm saying that its not true in all cases.

8. Jarhead5811

Jarhead5811 Rational Anarchist MSGO Supporter

The way we did it was we’d radio dispatch to run the 10-28 (tag) and get the registered owner and they’d then run them by name and DOB. This method would get DL and Firearms Permit info on the registered owner of he vehicle. That was over twenty years ago and the NCIC interface was command line based (looked like DOS). Nowadays, I’d bet they could run the tag themselves from patrol vehicle and click to get the registered owners info. I know some vehicles have he tag readers, my stepbrother’s patrol vehicle had that several years ago.

CajunBP likes this.
  9. CajunBP

CajunBP Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

An officer may run just the plate prior to the stop, or he may run the plate and registered owner if he thinks necessary. If he only runs the plate, he won't know until he talks to the driver and runs the DL. I imagine that is why there is confusion.

10. LeansVeryRight2016

LeansVeryRight2016 Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

True.

The vehicle's registered owner may or may not be its driver -- or even in it -- and wouldn't be if it's stolen.

Jarhead5811 and rigrat like this.
  11. patchz

patchz Court Jester

I retired in 93. At that time, running the tag would not give you Firearms permit information unless you requested to run a DL check on the registered owner. Firearms permits were linked only to the drivers license.

By now, I suspect that tag records have an automatic crosscheck for the drivers license of the registered owner. So running a tag would tell you the owner has a permit. But you wouldn't know if the driver is the owner until you stop them.

And a lot of departments now have computers in the cars so the officer can run checks without getting on the radio. That's a good thing from an LE point of view.

12. 94LEVERFAN

94LEVERFAN Distinguished Poster

Back to original question, I handle it by being polite and courteous. If a firearm comes up in the conversation, I will probably ask him what he carrys, just to break the ice.