close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

How to pray.

Discussion in 'General Off Topic' started by DEADEYE 1, Aug 12, 2017 at 12:05 AM.

1. DEADEYE 1

DEADEYE 1 Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

Sometimes we stray in our journey through life and want to
    get things right with God. We may think that we are not good
    enough to ask God for forgiveness. Jesus came to the world to save sinners and taught us how easy it is to pray. --
    Our Father which art in heaven, hallowed be thy name.
    Thy kingdom come, thy will be done, on earth as it is in heaven.
    Give us this day, our daily bread.
    And forgive us our sins as we forgive those that have sinned against us.
    And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil.
    For Thine is the Kingdom, and the Power, and the Glory, Forever, AMEN.
    Matthew 6:9-13

2. patchz

patchz Court Jester

3. 94LEVERFAN

94LEVERFAN Distinguished Poster

4. Scharfschütze

Scharfschütze Waffennarr

Martin Luther's barber and best friend asked him once "how should I pray?" and Luther wrote a monograph on this; I copied this from a very good translation & explanation of what Luther wrote on the subject. This is by a Methodist biblical scholar, R.C. Sproul:
    "The Lord’s Prayer
    Luther first takes each petition of the Lord’s Prayer (there are seven) and elaborates on each one with a brief meditation or prayer keyed to the text of the catechism and the current situation of the time.
    1. Hallowed be your name
    Meditation -
    For the Destruction of False Teaching
    Prayer –
    For Conversion and Restraint
    2. Your Kingdom come
    Meditation and Prayer –
    For Protection and Extension of God’s Kingdom
    3. Your will be done on earth as in heaven
    Meditation –
    For Help to Do God’s Will
    4. Give us today our daily bread
    Prayer –
    For Peace and Good Government
    Prayer –
    For Protection of Home and Family
    5. Forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors
    Prayer –
    For God’s Mercy
    Prayer –
    For Our Enemies
    6. Lead us not into temptation
    Prayer –
    For Triumph Over the Devil
    7. And deliver us from the evil one
    Prayer –
    For Help to Pass Safely through Dangers
    Luther then expounds upon The Amen. “Finally, mark this, that you must always speak the Amen firmly. Never doubt that God in His mercy will surely hear you and say ‘yes’ to your prayers. Never think that you are kneeling or standing alone, rather think that the whole of Christendom, all devout Christians, are standing there beside you and you are standing among them in a common, united petition, which God cannot disdain. Do not leave your prayer without having said or thought, “Very well, God has heard my prayer; this I know as a certainty and a truth.” That is what Amen means." (end quote)
    As an aside: the final line "For Thine is the Kingdom, the Power, and The Glory, forever and ever" was not in the original sermon on the mount, but was added centuries later. Most protestants say it, but most catholics do not.

5. TwangBanger

TwangBanger Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

Good stuff. We've been doing an in-depth study of the Lord's Prayer during our Wednesday night bible study at church.

6. mascott

mascott Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

AMEN!!! I too, say this every night. Sometimes several times a day.

7. DEADEYE 1

DEADEYE 1 Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

The Lord,s Prayer is both basic and extensive in thought and covers our Faith in Christ and our day to day journey through life.

8. phillipd

phillipd Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

columbus
    I agree with all above but will add something. Gram always drilled into my head to pray unceasingly, and she did, with some amazing results

9. HotRod61

HotRod61 Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

Amen

I say the Lord's Prayer almost every night.

10. 94LEVERFAN

94LEVERFAN Distinguished Poster

Never met her, but I would speculate that Gram was a wise lady, and you were blessed.

11. Scharfschütze

Scharfschütze Waffennarr

Woke up this morning with a quote from Luther in my thoughts, learned this one as a child:
    "Man kann kein Christ sein, ohne zu beten, sowenig wie man lebendig sein kann, ohne zu atmen."
    One can not be a Christian without praying, no less than one can be alive without breathing.
    More contemporary:
    Being a Christian without praying is like being alive without breathing.

12. doctor duck

doctor duck Distinguished Poster

Sometimes instead of singing in the shower, I pray out loud in the shower. I pray whenever I can and always before I go to sleep. Lord Jesus Christ my God, my Lord, my saviour watch over us and keep us safe.