Mississippi Gun Owners banner

How to score 22rf targets (and highpower rifle)

8K views 27 replies 10 participants last post by  jbpmidas 
#1 ·
M1GarandFan said:
SubGunFan said:
]6. I think at the next match someone should show the shooters how to score and record the targets.]
Agreed. I showed a few people how to fill out the scorecards the same way we do the highpower scorecards.

I will try and post the few pics I got tomorrow since I will have to do it from my laptop and the battery on it is dead at the moment.
I had a lot of fun even though I didn't have my bolt gun together and had to compete with my squirrel rifle! Since there are some shooters not familiar with how scoring works, here's a primer. Anyone feel free to clarify or add information and if anyone doesn't understand just ask, it took me a couple matches to get the hang of it.

Scoring & Reporting of Scores, shamelessly copied from http://fieldandfelt.com/emailshootingleagues/i/new_page_6.htm

Targets should be marked with the stage they are being used for so that when you report your scores the proper number will go in the proper category.

Scoring is pretty easy as each shot will be scored the value of the ring it lands inside of. If it breaks (touches) the line of the next higher ring it will be given that value. A simple way to check to see if the hole actually touches the line is to insert the bullet of an unfired cartridge into the hole and if it touches the line you get the higher score, if not you get the lower one.

Shots hitting, or within, the "X" ring will be scored as "10".

Shooters should also count the total number of "X"s on all of their targets because these will be used as tie breakers should two or more shooters end the league with the same score.

Now to record the score. First count the number of holes in the target! If there are more hits either someone crossfired or the shooter fired too many rounds. Studying the adjacent targets will determine what happened. If someone crossfired the lowest score is dropped. If the shooter fired too many rounds, the highest score is dropped. Now that that's sorted out we'll use my best string for an example cause I'm not posting my worst!

I have ten holes so that's easy. There are three X's, one 10, three 9's, two 7's, and one 6.

Here's how the score card would be filled out, it's the second up from the bottom for this string.

X X X 10 9 9 9 7 7 6 = 87 3-x

Now lets do the math. X's count as 10's, they are used to break ties. Let's say someone else shot an 87 4-x. Even though our points total is the same, the competitor with 4-x's is ranked ahead of me with my 3-x's. Now simply add all the numbers together and enter the total in the space provided.... unless you are like me. I use the subtraction method because it is easier on my feeble mind. Start with a perfect score of 100 and subtract 0 for 10's and x's, 1 for each 9, two for each 8, etc. Looking at my score I start with 100 and subtract 0 for the 10's and x's, 3 points for the three 9's (1x3), 6 points for the two 7's (2x3), and 4 points for the lone six. This adds to 3+6+4=13, and 100-13= 87.

Always remember the golden rule: Score unto others as ye would have them score unto you!

See less See more
G
#4 ·
According to all of the many, many NRA pistol and rifle competetions that I have shot and scored, PhillipM's picture of the scorecard is absolutely correct. The highest value is entered first with the lesser values entered in decending order and the X values are written down on the scorecard as an X. Also, in a registered competetion, you never touch a competitors target unless it's with an overlay or a correct size scoring plug to determine if the bullet cut the line or if there's more than one shot in a given bullet hole. If a plug is used, it is not removed until the shooter, scorer, and a range official all agree on the shot value. You never put any object in a bullet hole on a competitors target except an authorized scoring plug. The competitor never touches his own target until after it has been properly scored. Just my 2 cents worth.

#8 ·
Good discussion guys -- Yea, we need to work on this with the competitors ... also, a few overlays on the scoring line would also help. JohnnyMac had one and I used it a couple times to make some very close determinations when asked to do so ...

I will add some basic scoring directions to the "Shooter's Briefing" ... with an example printed on the reverse of the score card.

G
#9 ·
An overlay is very useful in determining number of shots in a ragged area of the target where multiple shots have entered the target or if two shots have entered the same hole. This helps to get the total count of holes in the target. The scoring plug with magnifier ring is most useful in determining if a shot touches the ring of the next higher value. I have one of each on order for jbpmidas and myself to have for the next match. Actually tho, the line officials (RO) are the only ones who are allowed to insert a scoring plug into a target.

#10 ·
SGMJody said:
An overlay is very useful in determining number of shots in a ragged area of the target where multiple shots have entered the target or if two shots have entered the same hole. This helps to get the total count of holes in the target. The scoring plug with magnifier ring is most useful in determining if a shot touches the ring of the next higher value. I have one of each on order for jbpmidas and myself to have for the next match. Actually tho, the line officials (RO) are the only ones who are allowed to insert a scoring plug into a target.
Where you getting them from? We will get a few!

#12 ·
SGMJody said:
championschoice.com. Their part numbers are 13322M for the 22 cal plug with magnifier and S010 for the overlays. The overlays have all of the pistol calibers on them including the 22 cal.
Thanks for the info!! We will be ready next time!

#14 ·
jbpmidas said:
There needs to be a "scoring judge." I strongly dislike scoring targets simply because I would hate to misscore a shot. Any questionable shots should be handles by the judge.
... Agreed -- especially after looking at the scores -- several only separated by 1 point.

G
#16 ·
The people that score do so objectably. The shooter gets the benefit of a reasonable doubt. If there is a shot that is scored a 9 and the shooter says it's a 10, then the scorer calls for a RO to insert a plug into the shot hole. The plug is not touched from that point until a final determination is made on the shot value. The scorer (not the RO) then looks carefully at the magnifing ring on the scoring plug and makes his determination of what the shot value is. If the shooter is in disagreement, he can challenge the score simply by stapling a one dollar bill to the target frame. The RO then pulls the target in question (with the plug still inserted) and carries it to the rear of the firing line where the challenge is resolved by several range officials while the firing line continues to shoot the next scheduled targets. If the officials agree with the scorer, the shooter loses the dollar (which goes into the clubs bank account). If they agree with the shooter, then they change the scorecard to reflect the higher value. It's a simple process that does not impede the match in any way. For the way we are shooting these friendly matches, it would be simple for the RO to make the final determination on the spot without the shooter having to challenge the final score.

#17 ·
I agree with SGMJody. If we were having a registered match with big prize money, we would need to be prepared to settle a challenge. Some of us have seen (and participated in) how those disputes are settled. For our purposes in local, fun matches, we should not have to go there. The overlay method should be sufficient to make a good call. And if you (the scorer) are not sure if it touches the next line with an overlay, give the shooter the benefit and and the point. Using a plug should only be done be someone appointed by the match director.

Now if the Captain decides to give big money to the winner, all bets are off. We will all turn into animals scraping for every point. Yesterday was nice. Let's keep it that way. Nothing would discourage new shooters like witnessing conflict over such trivia. Yesterday, I saw fairness on both sides of me, we had a good time, and I am looking forward to another try next time. :)

G
#19 ·
countrygirl - an overlay is a thin clear piece of plastic that has two rings on it (An inner ring and an outer ring). When the bullet passes through the target it opens a 22 cal hole in the target. This hole will close a small amount after the bullet passes through. The inner circle of the overlay is placed exactly over the partially closed hole and the outer circle will show the exact diameter of the hole that the bullet made as it passed through the target. So an overlay makes it easy to see if the bullet actually touched the edge of the next higher scoring circle on the target.

#21 ·
ree_countrygirl said:
i like that idea sgm and pardon my ingorance but what is an overlay? im learning guys!
...and if you really want to split hairs...

http://www.odcmp.org/0108/default.asp?page=SCORINGGAUGES

Scoring Gauge. A scoring gauge is a precision metal instrument with a spindle sized to fit into the shot hole and a flange or “measuring diameter” turned to a precise size that is specified in a competition rulebook. The gauge, which is often called a “plug,” is inserted into a doubtful shot hole. The scorer then examines or “reads” the edge of the flange to determine whether the doubtful shot is “in” (receives the higher value) or “out” (receives the lower value). A magnifying glass is usually used to aid the scorer in accurately reading where the edge of the flange lies. Scoring gauges come with various types of handles that are used to gently hold the gauge while inserting it in a doubtful shot hole. Scoring gauges available in the USA vary in cost from $4.00 to $15.00

#22 ·
awesome!!!!!!!!! i think both would be of great assistance to those of us who are new to it or just havent done it in a while. i've shot comp .22s but it's two years so i'm outta practice a good bit. gonna have to wait a little while but i'd like to have one of each in my shooting bag. those are cool!

#23 ·
ree_countrygirl said:
i like that idea sgm and pardon my ingorance but what is an overlay? im learning guys!
It's a clear plastic card with different sizes drawn in black lines representing different calibers. Its very beneficial in determining if a shot broke a line or if more than 1 shot entered the same hole. Captain i want one if your going to order some.

G
#24 ·
This has been my experience shooting highpower and indoor smallbore for over ten years. And no, I'm not saying or recommending it be done this way. However, if this class grows to 100 or more competitors then all of the preceeding posts are headed in the right direction. For now, I'm with Johnny Mc about the "Captain" giving some BIG bucks $$$ to the winner. How about $500 or a new rifle? If that's the case, then watch out. We will all be "point grubbers" and "cut throats" for sure. HA !! Highpower: Pull the target, if the shot looks close, get the pit boss to score w/guage before sticking the scoring plug in the shot hole. Smallbore: Shooter or helper examines the target for holes, etc., then positions the unfired target at desired height. Official(s) retrieve the fired targets. Shooters/helper not allowed to touch targets after firing. Official(s) score the targets and uses scoring guages if needed. Official(s) insert the scoring guage only once, holding the target level, and does not continually replug, because it will stretch the hole. Targets are posted for shooter's/coaches to review but no touch. Shooter makes challenges to individual shots and/or aggregate scores. Official(s) may or may not replug w/guage. If so, carefully and only once. Official makes final call. Shooter says, "Thank You Mr. Official." Some matches require the shooter to pay a few bucks for a challenge.

Plastic Overlays: Never used one and never seen one used in smallbore rifle until now. Will using plastic overlays create a perpetual cost verses backing targets or does someone have rolls of these overlays? Does the plastic create a glare in the bright summer sun? I have no idea, and that's why I'm asking. Not knowing is one thing and not asking is another. Ignorance can be bliss. And, I want to be bliss but not ignorant. :confused:

#25 ·
odie said:
Plastic Overlays: Never used one and never seen one used in smallbore rifle until now. Will using plastic overlays create a perpetual cost verses backing targets or does someone have rolls of these overlays? Does the plastic create a glare in the bright summer sun? I have no idea, and that's why I'm asking. Not knowing is one thing and not asking is another. Ignorance can be bliss. And, I want to be bliss but not ignorant. :confused:
They are held over the hole during scoring, they are not fired on.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.